Ants

billzant

Found a whole colony this morning, thousands in a cupboard where we keep clean dish cloths and rags, no food there at all. Some were carrying eggs. Sprayed the lot with Windex and closed the door for a while. Not an ant in sight now. Adjacent cupboards were clear as well when I first saw them.

I wonder what made them decide to settle there...

Too much water in the garden maybe. Ants around my place start moving the eggs into the house whenever there is heavy rain coming.

On another thread a few weeks ago, someone mentioned that ants may actually help to keep termites away. The lesser of two evils, kind of.

On another thread a few weeks ago, someone mentioned that ants may actually help to keep termites away. The lesser of two evils, kind of.

I don't know about that. We have several kinds of ants and some termites that are eating away at some wood trim in a bathroom. I remember a while back seeing rather largish ants that would travel in packs of about 10 or twelve. They would appear to be on expeditions, and would stick together while traveling rather slowly. Turns out those are termites! Fortunately we don't have quite the ant problem that others seem to have. I do notice they are worse during the rainy season. My wife puts food with ants in the microwave for a very short while instead of the fridge. 10 seconds and they are all running away.

My wife puts food with ants in the microwave for a very short while instead of the fridge. 10 seconds and they are all running away.

That will be because the food is getting hot...... I think I remember reading somewhere :o that the microwaves don't have any effect on the ants directly.

Found a whole colony this morning, thousands in a cupboard where we keep clean dish cloths and rags, no food there at all. Some were carrying eggs. Sprayed the lot with Windex and closed the door for a while. Not an ant in sight now. Adjacent cupboards were clear as well when I first saw them.

I wonder what made them decide to settle there...

They'll nest absolutely anywhere. I've found thousands of them at a time in file boxes containing only papers, under the aquarium (between aquarium and table), and in suitcases. Yeeechh!

I especially hate the really tiny ones that move unusually fast (they run in kind of circular pattern). As you try to carry the infested file box outside, you end up with about 50 on your arm, all running toward your armpits.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Forum,

Thanks very much for the info, it has been very helpful.

It is clear that I don't have the problem as much as many of you - thankfully.

With your advice I was prepared for the loacl supermarket in Trat, and found some powder and my favourite - ant chalk. With a bit of care the chalk keeps our friends out of the sugar containers, plastic bins and my homemade lemon juice.

I am satisfied at the moment and thanks again for your help.

Hope you are keeping well,

All the Best

Bill Z

post-32989-1162419730_thumb.jpgAnts are a problem! I have tried to store some food items in plastic zip lock bags but if the little bugger really wants to get in and eat the food they will chew thru to plastic bag.

Some items I keep in the refrigerator just to keep the ants away sugar etc.

In the southwest and south of the U.S. there is a very real problem with what are called “fire ant”. One day I was watching a television program dealing with fire ants. It seems that outdoor workers that simply can’t avoid the little critters have resorted to wearing fur leggings wrapped around each foot. It was discovered that the ants are extremely reluctant to “climb “ over the fur thus offering protection to the wearer.

Employing this principal I reasoned that ants would also avoid trekking across my medium knap area 5’ X 8’rug placed under my dining room table.

This has worked VERY well. Anytime now when I want to set some food item down “temporarily” like fresh baked cookie to cool, I know that the ants will stay away.

Jim

:o

think i would prefer ants to that dining set and rug....

post-32989-1162419730_thumb.jpg

Edited by t.s

My wife puts food with ants in the microwave for a very short while instead of the fridge. 10 seconds and they are all running away.

That will be because the food is getting hot...... I think I remember reading somewhere :o that the microwaves don't have any effect on the ants directly.

highly unlikely, i would think the microwaves excite whatever molecules are inside the ants, essentially cooking them in their own juices. but im often wrong....

Once in awhile we forget/neglect to replace the cover on our rice container properly. The ants have a great time until the GF places the open container in direct sunlight for some time.

Poof ants gone. Works with just about any congegration of ants in an object.

I had intentionally left off the "TER" portion of the word.

Another example of hereditary/vernacular communication problems? :o

Back to the topic... LOL

It seems that direct light in conjunction with heat drives the little buggers, (pun intended), away.

:D