Chum Phae province (split off from Khon Kaen)?

KhunBENQ

There was always some "talk" about plans to split off a new Chum Phae province from Khon Kaen.

So far I did not see anything materialize.

But today I again came past a quite huge building which was under construction for a quite a while.

It's about 3 km out of Chum Phae towards Konsan on highway 12.

I always wondered what this huge thing will become although the style was clearly pretentious "Thai government office" style tongue.png .

In the meantime there must have been some ceremony and an also quite monumental board says:

Chum Phae Provincial Court

The building work is not 100% completed though.

Does this indicate a soon to come Chum Phae province?

I was not up to stop and do a picture

Edited by KhunBENQ

Either that or the crime rate is on the up due to lack of jobs,over pricing and a disgruntled people.

Incidentally they built one in Wichian Buri,Phetchabun province a year or so back now.

It is yet to be renamed as a province.

To much money in the coffers me thinks,as you said no expense spared for new build govt buildings the kingdom wide.

Edited by stoneyboy

To much money in the coffers me thinks,as you said no expense spared for new build govt buildings the kingdom wide.

So true.

When I drive to Khon Kaen I see this huge plots of land with the office castles at the back of the plot for small towns (the usual bunch of shacks along two roads).

Only challenged by the tons of wat (temples).

After Songkran I will take a picture of this huge new court building.

Tried to find something up-to-date on the web to no avail.

It's been mooted for as long as I can remember. There was talk of the split right back in early 90s, but I suspect that the wheels of bureaucracy and law turn very slowly, as ever, and there will be those whose interests are threatened who will be blocking it (e.g. the Governor of Khon Kaen, who will lose a considerable source of power and income, when/if it does break away). The construction of provincial buildings show that the actual date, may not be too far in the future (i.e. anywhere from 1-4 years).

Rumor from the Wikipedia sounds different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khon_Kaen_Province

There are plans to split off the northwestern part to form a new province centered at Phu Wiang. The other districts which will belong to this new province are Nong Ruea, Chum Phae, Si Chomphu, Phu Pha Man, Nong Na Kham and Wiang Kao.

• 2 years later...

Can't last long until the split is done.

A new building for the Prosecutors Office of Chum Phae Province is ready built.

Sign in Thai script clearly says Chiang Wat Chum Phae (Chum Phae Province).

20180825_094148.jpg

20180825_094105.jpg

Edited by KhunBENQ

On 4/20/2016 at 12:14 PM, TerryLH said:

"Chum Phae Provincial Court"

That simply indicates it's a provincial court located in Chum Phae.

Courts are only Provincial. There is only, supposed to be, one in each province.

This is similar to Nang Rong in Buriram province.

I have been told a couple of time that there is a list of prospective districts that will be made into provinces. Bueng Kan was at the top of the list (already split from Nong Khai). Number 2 was ChumPhae and number 3 Nang Rong.

I expect that the OP is correct and ChumPhae will eventually become a province, maybe also swallowing up some other neighbouring districts currently under the jurisdiction of KhonKaen .

Edited by puchooay

2 hours ago, puchooay said:

I expect that the OP is correct and ChumPhae will eventually become a province, maybe also swallowing up some other neighbouring districts currently under the jurisdiction of KhonKaen .

Thai Wiki has an idea.

It will be the whole western corner of KK.

Amphoe_Chumphae.png

2 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

going to happen, but not for at least a decade

Don't be so pessimistic.

It's under discussion/proposal only since 2003 :biggrin:

A decade?

I don't think so considering that in the last two years a lot of concrete and squiggle have surfaced not only this prosecutors office.

E.g. the DLT (motor vehicle office) got a pompous new gate.

Must have cost more than the complete technical equipment in the office :sleep:

1 hour ago, Patriot said:

Does anyone have any insight

No insight.

Earlies I stumbled upon a Thai FB site that described multiple split off plans that might end up with 83 provinces (from 77 [Bangkok counted] now).

Mentioned plans for splitoff of:

Ubon Ratchathani

Nakhon Ratchasima,

Sisaket,

Buriram,

Songkhla,

Khon Kaen (which this thread refers to).

This would result in 6 new provinces, 77 + 6 = 83.

For Ubon Ratchathani the post expects a new province to split off consisting of:
Det Udom
Na Chaluai
Thung Si Udom
Nam Khun
Nayia

This seems to fit your info about "southern part of Ubon"?

Please don't make any plans on that. It's just "some" FB site that I can not qualify.

Edited by KhunBENQ

12 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Earlies I stumbled upon a Thai FB site that described multiple split off plans that might end up with 83 provinces (from 77 [Bangkok counted] now).

But why do it? Just more jobs for the Bangkok bureaucrats I guess.

The last one was the split off of Bueng Kan from Nong Khai in 2011. It was not exactly a smooth transition from what I read about it.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

But why do it? Just more jobs for the Bangkok bureaucrats I guess.

The last one was the split off of Bueng Kan from Nong Khai in 2011. It was not exactly a smooth transition from what I read about it.

Makes life easier for folk who want to do "Provincial" personal admin ie car registration, tax etc rather than having to plan one's whole day around hoofing 60+km to the provincial capital.

33 minutes ago, Patriot said:

Makes life easier for folk who want to do "Provincial" personal admin ie car registration, tax etc rather than having to plan one's whole day around hoofing 60+km to the provincial capital.

Most personal admin is done at District level. 

12 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Most for sure, but not all. That’s why

I used car business as an example. 

Thats why I’m eternally appreciative I live just off the ring-road in Warin; got the best of both worlds!!

17 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Indeed visits to the provincial administration offices are rare.

Can't remember a case in the family over the years.

And will establishing a new province improve the infrastructure, attract more private businesses/services/malls?

At least in Chum Phae the hospital has been extended and modernized largely.

Health issues/hospitals are the most usual reason for visits/transport to the provincial capital.

So far there is not a single full featured operation room in the districts!

All to Khon Kaen.

Edited by KhunBENQ