Hottest temperature ever recorded in Thailand in 56 years today

max72

Today 12 April the town of Sukhothai has recorded a high temperature of 44.3C, which is the HIGHEST TEMPERATURE RECORDED ANYWHERE IN THAILAND since April 1960, when Uttaradit recorded 44.5C, the current national record.

In the past 3 days dozens of towns have broken their records of highest temperature ever recorded.

Current metadata can be found here

http://ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynext?lang=en&state=Thai&rank=100&ano=2016&mes=04&day=12&hora=18&Send=send

Official TMD records here

http://www.tmd.go.th/programs/uploads/tempstat/max_stat_latest_en.pdf

Edited by max72

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today was a bit of a relief compared to the past 2 days. I read 44 at the house yesterday. Of course that not official but if it was, would bust the record for my area by +3 degrees.

Wasn't there some weather guy who said recently that Thailand could never have a "heat wave" - or words to that effect.

Wow, I was there today. It was hot, real hot. What was funny though was that the fields were green and the trees and plants also looked green and healthy. After driving out of the area the fields started to turn brown and everything looked like it needed water. That area must have lots of water.

I heard a fellow comment just the other morning that Thailand was going to hell in a handbasket since he had arrived to make his new home here. Is it possible that he knows something that the rest of us may not be aware of ?

One of the worst days I can remember.

Not interested sitting outside after lunch.

Back to AC and pray for electric power to stay up.

The place would become unlivable without.

Next bill will be a personal all time record.

3 ACs running.

Khon Kaen with 38.2 C at 19h !!!

C F

38.00 100.40
39.00 102.20
40.00 104.00
41.00 105.80
42.00 107.60
43.00 109.40
44.00 111.20
45.00 113.00

Edited by KhunBENQ

My Internal thermostat must have real adjusted. Was walking down Pattaya South at about 3:00 PM. Felt hot as hell, think it was 36. Stopped in to get a cold beer at 7 chugged it and felt right as rain.

Still haven't used AC. The fan has been just fine. I live out on the point in Naklua. The breeze is like being on the bow of a ship. If yesterday didn't phase me much, I think I've acclimated.

Long way from San Diego weather.

All this global warming / climate change for decades yet the current record high was set back in the 60's

Previous record days count for little as the overall trend is what should be looked at and that shows 16 of the hottest years on record have all occurred in the last 17 years. Last year showing the largest annual increase.

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201513

A photo better than one thousand of words ..

This afternoon in Sakon Nakhon province , not far from Sawang Daen Din in the countryside

26389178065_ebc4c1bd48_b.jpg

is it 1.2 metres off the ground in a white vented box otherwise its not really accurate........i got 41c briefly on the shade side of the house 1.2 m off the ground but not in a white vented box

All this global warming / climate change for decades yet the current record high was set back in the 60's

Previous record days count for little as the overall trend is what should be looked at and that shows 16 of the hottest years on record have all occurred in the last 17 years. Last year showing the largest annual increase.

a massive 0.8 c in 100 odd years.......sarcasm intended

Edited by kannot

a massive 0.8 c in 100 odd years.......sarcasm intended

That is the worldwide average. As the sea tends to be less prone to dramatic change the biggest variations happen over land masses and is exactly what is being experienced now.

This is why i am enjoying the Philippines ,where i am on Bohol island,the hottest day in 2 weeks has been about 33c,compare that to Wichianburi,Petchabun province where i live in Thailand 41,5 yesterday,over or 40c for the last 2 weeks or so,and around that since the start of march,no rain at all since november,it looked dead and brown when i left.Also here the women are generally prettier and better dressed[no football shirts and short],everyone speaks English,all signs in English,legal documents,bank stuff,nice clear skies[not haze],clean beaches,and a clean island,have not seen people here tossing garbage all over,only one small part of the country i know,but i am dreaded returning to the oven that is Thailand,once i have sold my pickup,i will leave for good and relocate here,or Dumagette.,Just for the cooler weather alone would be reason enough,wish i had come here for a holiday in 2012,and moved here instead of Thailand.

well, globally in average global warming can't be denied, but it doesn't mean that hot spells were absent in the past.

The late April 1960 heat wave was brutal and wasn't recorded during a Nino year (that's its singularity) and it affected Eastern India, Bangladesh (Dhaka record still unbroken since than), Myanmar, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Northern Vietnam.

We can compare this tremendous heat wave with that of April 1960 but with a smaller geographic area, for Thailand alone I would say we can easily state that April 1960 and April 2016 are the two strongest heat waves in history.

This 2016 heat wave affected more also the Southern Thailand with the highest temperatures ever recorded in the South (42.0C).

BTW, Cambodia on Monday also improved its record of highest temperature ever, albeit there are several climatic gaps for the times of Pol Pot regime and the civil war.

This afternoon in Sakon Nakhon province , not far from Sawang Daen Din in the countryside

is it 1.2 metres off the ground in a white vented box otherwise its not really accurate........i got 41c briefly on the shade side of the house 1.2 m off the ground but not in a white vented box

Actually new standards reccomends the sensor to stand at least at 1.5m,-2m is better. 1.2m was an old standard for UK climates, which are not so affected by a strond radiation like the tropical ones. In fact, in the old colonies, thermometers placed at just 1.2m were having problems of overexposure.

In any case, yesterday Sakon Nakhon OFFICIAL TMD station recorded 42.5C , which is also its highest T on records, 0.2C above its previous record.

More than 30 stations destroyed their previous all time records in the past 3 days, the greatest number since April 1960 heat wave.

In 1998 there were also many records beaten, but spread throughout the hot season from March in the South to early May in the north, so that was a hot SEASON because it was also a strong Nino, but now besides a hot season, we can talk about a heat wave by referring to this week.

Towards the weekend some shower and gust will start to bring the thermometers down.

I am more surprised by the 38 degrees at Koh Samui (which , due to its marine influence, had never recorded anything even close to it) than the 44C at Sukhothai, which is in the hottest area of Thailand.

Surat Thani 41.3C straight on the coast in the South is also INSANE.

Actually new standards reccomends the sensor to stand at least at 1.5m,-2m is better. 1.2m was an old standard for UK climates, which are not so affected by a strond radiation like the tropical ones. In fact, in the old colonies, thermometers placed at just 1.2m were having problems of overexposure.

In any case, yesterday Sakon Nakhon OFFICIAL TMD station recorded 42.5C , which is also its highest T on records, 0.2C above its previous record.

More than 30 stations destroyed their previous all time records in the past 3 days, the greatest number since April 1960 heat wave.

In 1998 there were also many records beaten, but spread throughout the hot season from March in the South to early May in the north, so that was a hot SEASON because it was also a strong Nino, but now besides a hot season, we can talk about a heat wave by referring to this week.

Towards the weekend some shower and gust will start to bring the thermometers down.

I am more surprised by the 38 degrees at Koh Samui (which , due to its marine influence, had never recorded anything even close to it) than the 44C at Sukhothai, which is in the hottest area of Thailand.

Surat Thani 41.3C straight on the coast in the South is also INSANE.

40.8c here now Silaloi Pranburi 11.40 am

My Internal thermostat must have real adjusted. Was walking down Pattaya South at about 3:00 PM. Felt hot as hell, think it was 36. Stopped in to get a cold beer at 7 chugged it and felt right as rain.

Still haven't used AC. The fan has been just fine. I live out on the point in Naklua. The breeze is like being on the bow of a ship. If yesterday didn't phase me much, I think I've acclimated.

Long way from San Diego weather.

Used to have a grand old 1978 Jeep CJ5, bikini top, no doors. Leave the house in North Park on a "hot" August day, soon as I crossed over I-5 on I-8 westbound, looking over the tidal inlet toward OB, the temp would drop 5 to 7 degrees. Sure do miss that. And my old Jeep. saai.gif

lots of places the same.

Udon will be 44 by friday.

It's just about 44 here now. Probably hotter in some spots. Only 2pm.

Current Conditions 4/13/16 2:00 PM ICT 34.png43°CHi 40°C | Lo 20°CFair

http://www.thailand-weather.com/weather-in-udon-thani.html

don't feel alone. Turn on the aircon and have a beer.

Edited by slipperylobster

This is why i am enjoying the Philippines ,where i am on Bohol island,the hottest day in 2 weeks has been about 33c,compare that to Wichianburi,Petchabun province where i live in Thailand 41,5 yesterday,over or 40c for the last 2 weeks or so,and around that since the start of march,no rain at all since november,it looked dead and brown when i left.Also here the women are generally prettier and better dressed[no football shirts and short],everyone speaks English,all signs in English,legal documents,bank stuff,nice clear skies[not haze],clean beaches,and a clean island,have not seen people here tossing garbage all over,only one small part of the country i know,but i am dreaded returning to the oven that is Thailand,once i have sold my pickup,i will leave for good and relocate here,or Dumagette.,Just for the cooler weather alone would be reason enough,wish i had come here for a holiday in 2012,and moved here instead of Thailand.

Good luck for as long as you see it that way....

May your good fortune continue .....Update us from year to year....You should have a clear grasp by then of life there.....