Rong Khun Temple Mural Painted Out Of Sync.

Thaising

Recently went to visit Wat Rong Khun temple again, and was surprised to see the inner chapel doorway wall mural scene painted with Ultraman and World Trade Center building with 9/11 scene which I think are completely out of sync with the rest of the Buddhist mural painting.

May I know what is your thoughts and opinion if you have any?

Recently went to visit Wat Rong Khun temple again, and was surprised to see the inner chapel doorway wall mural scene painted with Ultraman and World Trade Center building with 9/11 scene which I think are completely out of sync with the rest of the Buddhist mural painting.

May I know what is your thoughts and opinion if you have any?

I can't ger rhe link to come up right now, but here Khun Chalermchai explains what is the symbolism of each structure, statue and mural he creates:

http://61.19.32.120/tour/columespacial/WatRongkhun.html

He and his wife are close friends of my girlfriend and I bump into him every month or so. I'll ask him when I see him again or if his wife is over to the house..

Frankly I consider this temple to be more of a tourist attraction than a Buddhist temple....but of course I'm probably wrong. Most Buddhist temples in Thailand have little to do with the teachings of the Buddha anyway so I guess there is no reason to think that this one would be any different in that regard...in fact since it is being built by an "artist" and a famous and controversial one at that I guess one should assume that there would be lots of stuff that is unexpected and controversial...sounds like you've found some. My feelings about this temple and the associated art work is that the artist has fits of inspiration but does not seem to have a vision of how to stitch it all together....sorry but the fact that its all white doesn't accomplish that for me. The artist seems to be trying to create on the Frank Lloyd Wright scale but in this comparison he not only misses the mark but I don't think that he can even see the mark.

But perhaps I'm being too harsh on the artist....he has set out on a nearly impossible task anyway and one that not many would even attempt. Also, I only visited once along with some friends who were not interested in spending enough time to absorb all that was there....if I return again alone with more time to look then perhaps I will change my opinion.

Chownah

Frankly I consider this temple to be more of a tourist attraction than a Buddhist temple....but of course I'm probably wrong. Most Buddhist temples in Thailand have little to do with the teachings of the Buddha anyway so I guess there is no reason to think that this one would be any different in that regard...in fact since it is being built by an "artist" and a famous and controversial one at that I guess one should assume that there would be lots of stuff that is unexpected and controversial...sounds like you've found some. My feelings about this temple and the associated art work is that the artist has fits of inspiration but does not seem to have a vision of how to stitch it all together....sorry but the fact that its all white doesn't accomplish that for me. The artist seems to be trying to create on the Frank Lloyd Wright scale but in this comparison he not only misses the mark but I don't think that he can even see the mark.

But perhaps I'm being too harsh on the artist....he has set out on a nearly impossible task anyway and one that not many would even attempt. Also, I only visited once along with some friends who were not interested in spending enough time to absorb all that was there....if I return again alone with more time to look then perhaps I will change my opinion.

Chownah

Hi chownah,

I'm sorry but I can't agree with you on this one. Khun Chalermchai has a complete vision for how the complex will be built and finished. He estimates it will take 90 years and he has already detailed every aspect of the project. You can look at his work ay Wat Buddhapadipa for a glimpse of what Wat Rong Khun may be.

http://www.buddhapadipa.org/pages/temple_muralpaintings.html

Khun Chalerm is a larger than life type person and you'd think him a real ###### if you ever met him but didn't get to know him; and you might still think that even if you did. I find many artistic geniuses fall into this category.

Eacg structure, statue and mural will be allegorical or symbolic of some aspect of Dharma and Buddhist philosophy. The white color for instance is a symbol for the purity of the Buddha.

Khun Chalerm is a larger than life type person and you'd think him a real ###### if you ever met him but didn't get to know him; and you might still think that even if you did. I find many artistic geniuses fall into this category.

I met this guy years ago when he just had started with the first temple. I bought a couple of reproductions and he came out and talked to me. I found him to be a very nice guy and he took his time to explain his work and his plans to me.

But I must say that I find the Black Temple, north of CR, more interesting.

I met this guy years ago when he just had started with the first temple. I bought a couple of reproductions and he came out and talked to me. I found him to be a very nice guy and he took his time to explain his work and his plans to me.

But I must say that I find the Black Temple, north of CR, more interesting.

He is a nice guy, but believe me you wouldn't want to work with him.

Tell me about the Black Temple. I wasn't aware of it and it sounds like an interesting place to visit.

SJ you got nice pictures of the temple, then again the temple caretaker prohibited visitor from taking picture on the temple inner wall mural or I would have posted it.

Lannarebirth, Me too can't get thru the website link you posted.

Edited by Thaising

Tell me about the Black Temple. I wasn't aware of it and it sounds like an interesting place to visit.

Hi Lrb,

There are some pics from Black Village in Images of Chiang Rai, page 4.

To go there: superhighway, pass Ratchaban University, then after about 2 km take soi 13 to the left. About 500 m from the highway.

I also know Chalermchai Kositpipat as a very friendly man, but I can imagine very well the sentiment described by Lannarebirth. Thanks for the links!

Thanks Thaising for reminding me that I haven't been inside the temple for such a long time.

I am really curious. I was there last Saturday and there were probably a thousand people.

Reli-tourism? I recommend weekdays for a visit, as early as possible.

Are we standing at the craddle of a new Angkor Wat, a Borobodor?

Or a Sagrada Familia (Gaudi, Barcelona) of which the construction started in 1882 and of which the finalisation still doesn't seem to be within sight?

Limbo :o

PS: It seems that the clocktower doesn't have priority for Acharn Chalermchai, but the top got recently some gold paint.

Hi Lrb,

There are some pics from Black Village in Images of Chiang Rai, page 4.

To go there: superhighway, pass Ratchaban University, then after about 2 km take soi 13 to the left. About 500 m from the highway.

Thanks svenivan. I'm gouing to check it out when I'm up there again in a few weeks. It looks interesting.

Ken