Expat career opportunities

Hi all.

Visiting Bangkok after a few years away.

The missus finally got her citizenship and we are celebrating by taking an extended vacation.

Noticed how "alive" the missus is over here while over in farangland it has been a struggle. Even after getting her post grad, she is still faced with "no local experience" or "over qualified" etc. whenever she applies for a job in her field. So for the last few years she has been working as a waitress and lately it has been taking a toll on her.

As I mentioned earlier now that she is home she is alive again and regained her confidence.

So the question I am asking you guys is, how is the job situation for a foreigner? She will find a job, but I will need one too.

Not teaching as I know nothing about teaching and I doubt a 2week TEFL course will make me competent.

Honest opinions please.

Any head hunters or job sites info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

not being competent never stopped anyone....when they need you; they need you. When they don't they don't. It's all style here, and many other places too, The whiteness of your face will determine your "competence." Otherwise, perhaps partner up with your wife in the real estate business. Be weary of any sales jobs on CL; they are gonna be boiler room operations. May I ask, what country are you residing in, and what kind of job does she want? For most skilled positions, a chance to work in the US, would be a dream come true...like for a nurse...making 10 times more, or even a hair stylist....There's an army of Vietnamese ladies doing manicures near my parent's house for 35 usd per crack. But, yes, I can relate to the other side of the coin, and there would be a lot one would miss about Thailand, especially if they were Thai.

Toronto, Canada.

The missus was assistant manager, executive floors, of a 5* hotel in Bangkok before we left.

Me, I am a generalist. Not particularly good at anything ;). A degree in graphics doesn't get you much these days.

Agree with you though, I "lucked" into the jobs I previously had in Bangkok. Unfortunately the first company has relocated and most of the people I knew have moved on.

A degree in graphics and 30 THB will get you a plate of pad thai in Chiang Mai, but probably not Bangkok. As a foreigner, you are ust not going to be eligible to do 99% of jobs done by a generalist. It seems like your wife would be very employable in Toronto. The US Economy has been stuck in first gear for 7 years...unemployment is down because people either took low paying jobs or dropped out of the workforce completely. 28 is the new 18. I think lately, the Canadian economy is doing worse. But, in places as wealthy as the US and Canada, there are always some opportunities, as in many more than for a foreigner in Thailand. I've worked in restaurants and education, as well as computers and real estate. Computers....can be great pay, but you very well could be stuck in a cubicle all day....real estate...great if you have capital and know-how (and a robust market)...education...horrible, the good jobs aren't where they are hiring...so many miserable people......restaurants....good money, fun, low stress (unless you own), and you can usually grab a beer or two after work, and sleep in....

5years ago my take home was B90k per month with the missus kicking in another B25k (after taxes, deductions etc). Total 115k a month on Western/Thai lifestyle. Nothing extravagant but comfortable.

Wondering what numbers we should be looking at now.

Toronto, Canada.

The missus was assistant manager, executive floors, of a 5* hotel in Bangkok before we left.

Me, I am a generalist. Not particularly good at anything ;). A degree in graphics doesn't get you much these days.

Agree with you though, I "lucked" into the jobs I previously had in Bangkok. Unfortunately the first company has relocated and most of the people I knew have moved on.

I am from Toronto....kind of.

I always get into argument with Canadians who want to bring their wife to home that there are no jobs in Canada without Canadian experience and if their Thai wives had any sort of career in Thailand they are better off staying in Thailand. Then I'm called a loser.

5years ago my take home was B90k per month with the missus kicking in another B25k (after taxes, deductions etc). Total 115k a month on Western/Thai lifestyle. Nothing extravagant but comfortable.

But, what never seems to sink in here is what the Thai households make. 40K per month puts you in the top 20% of households in BKK. Median for the country is 27K+/-, and again Household median, not individual and not average which would be higher due to some super earners. But there are 1000 pages on Thai visa proclaiming you need 100K per month to be comfortable,etc..as an individual. It just defies logic. Do the Thais really look like they are suffering, or going hungry, or begging on the streets? Heck no. So you and your wife can make 60K between you...likely puts you in the top 10%.....if that's not good enough; you should really have a look in the mirror. I wonder how much you saved on 115K per month. You should easily have a few million THB saved up. Buy a couple of townhouses around the new MRT stops...not much more than a million a piece...you could be set for life. But, the model of spend it all, and rely on high earnings is a model for failure and never retiring. For many, the high wages of the west served them only in a way to get into an astronomical amount of debt, and they would never be able to come over here, for even 2 months per year. Even though 1 month of high income there, would last a year here. I'm from Fairfax County Virginia, and the median household income is 325,000 THB per month...at 115K you would be in the bottom 20%, and that includes lots of retirees and disabled persons. I'd rather make 80K combined in BKK, than 325K in Virginia, and Virginia is a pretty nice place...but a lot of stuff is dramatically expensive..housing, insurance, car repairs....and I think a lot of those folks put off going to the dentist more than Thais making 25K, it's that expensive. Just food for thought. Do you want to live to work, or work to live? My attitude is work so you don't have to after a while.

I wonder how much you saved on 115K per month. You should easily have a few million THB saved up.

A few million saved? How would he do that on 115,000 baht pm at all, never mind easily? Glad you're not my financial adviser. Just seen your name, maybe you are a FA.

people accumulate wealth by saving and investing...not necessarily high wages. I don't know the OP's age...and since time is the biggest factor, that would be the unknown. 2 million THB? That's one GM SUV that would be worthless in 10 years...or you could invest it in real estate..you need a place to live anyway...or invest it he stock market. 115K is close to 1.5 million per year....you could/should be saving /investing 500K per year on that....or you can join the group who makes even much more and doesn't have 50K thb in the bank...or has to lie to the Consulate and pay 2000 thb to get a letter of income.

Get a TEFL and learn to teach. It's not hard and it's truly the only thing you're going to get here that pays anything. The only REAL prerequisite the school at which I teach has is "do you have a pulse?"

not being competent never stopped anyone....when they need you; they need you. When they don't they don't. It's all style here, and many other places too, The whiteness of your face will determine your "competence." Otherwise, perhaps partner up with your wife in the real estate business. Be weary of any sales jobs on CL; they are gonna be boiler room operations. May I ask, what country are you residing in, and what kind of job does she want? For most skilled positions, a chance to work in the US, would be a dream come true...like for a nurse...making 10 times more, or even a hair stylist....There's an army of Vietnamese ladies doing manicures near my parent's house for 35 usd per crack. But, yes, I can relate to the other side of the coin, and there would be a lot one would miss about Thailand, especially if they were Thai.

Have you ever worked here?

OB

....hope you don't regret it....

...so many guys here have gone 'all in' to better the lives of their spouses....to their own detriment....

...opportunities for us...realistically are next to none...

...you can try to 'pave your way'....until you can't any more....

Toronto, Canada.

Me, I am a generalist. Not particularly good at anything wink.png. A degree in graphics doesn't get you much these days.

I'm sure you probably know that the best way to get a job (outside of teaching) in Bangkok is to network like crazy, the jobs you lucked into in the past must have come about because you happened to meet the right person, the same holds true now.

Make connections with as many people as you can and chances will improve that you again meet the right person.

Wish you the best of luck in your search.

Incidentally, have you kept your graphic skills up? Could you do web design type work? (Freelance)

Worked 5years in Bangkok previously as operations manager and customer support manager (international clients).

For what? A food cart, a girlie bar, a ginseng importer, an oil exploiter; what?

This is not an uncommon situation ,and I sympathise with your wife since that is probably not a job she'd ever have to do in Thailand. A Chula grad friend of mine recently went to live in the states and he is waiting tables there. A friend of mine's wife is doing the same in the UK, despite being very well educated.

In terms of your move to Thailand, well paid jobs, other than teaching, do come up now and again. At the moment though teaching jobs seem to be dominating the market due to the start of a new term and many English teachers having departed their positions at the end of last term. That said, here's a link to a good job board worth bookmarking with a variety of new jobs posted each week. Not sure what your experience is but there's everything from App developers to hotel supervisors on there: http://www.thethailandlife.com/jobs

All the best!

Did I miss it? What is your wife's post grad degree? I know what your wife experienced as I went through the same thing when we went back to the USA. She was a lawyer in Thailand but in the USA she worked at Chick Filet, Publix and wound up cleaning asses in a nursing home. Each change was made necessary by my changing of jobs. She liked the nursing home because of the healthy interaction with the elderly residents who adored her. They were are also very generous gifting her with antique jewelry and even a mink coat. Take a TOEFL course, get a certificate and find a teaching job would be my advice. If you know the difference between your and you're you are far ahead of most. They're, their, and there puts you at the very top of the class. Some of the better teaching jobs now pay a living wage. I an a CPA so it was very easy fo find a job teaching accounting and auditing at any university that offered a business program in English. Commendable on your part to give up your career to enable your wife to pursue hers. Teaching with supplemental part-time or contract work in graphics sounds doable if you can figure out the work permit requirements. Good luck in any event.

Right now it feels like jobs are dry. Im a chef, been here nearly 9 years, I can read and write Thai. Nothing on the horizon since March. You do not want a sub-standard job or wage unless you have a hobby or research project to keep your esteem up. My opinion is go back to Canada aye. Im slowly heading back to Oz myself. You will find everywhere here now hires "qualified' people, that means a diploma and half the previously available wage. Actual skill and Thai experience doesn't always count in your favour. Asean nation citizens are at the front of the line, for a Westerner the salaries have dropped. Bit of a paradox, as what you face here she will face over there, but in Canada Im sure you can earn more money.

Have you ever worked here?

OB

My business has done 190,094.47 THB, this week, as of this morning (Thursday). No polyester suit, sweat stains, or visa problems, but it's real work.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

Career opportunities in THAILAND unless your a doctor or a high tech guy, a career?

Lots of career opportunities in Thailand.

You can career down the abyss of poverty, you can career down to Soi 6 and you can career around and into the potholes of Isaan. You can also career into the dead-end of employment, which will only ever pay the day-to-day bills and never provide you with the right or finances to stay in Thailand before or after retirement.

(There are always exceptions, such as an ex-pat posting but for 99% of the guys they are out of reach)

But, what never seems to sink in here is what the Thai households make. 40K per month puts you in the top 20% of households in BKK. Median for the country is 27K+/-, and again Household median, not individual and not average which would be higher due to some super earners. But there are 1000 pages on Thai visa proclaiming you need 100K per month to be comfortable,etc..as an individual. It just defies logic. Do the Thais really look like they are suffering, or going hungry, or begging on the streets? Heck no. So you and your wife can make 60K between you...likely puts you in the top 10%.....if that's not good enough; you should really have a look in the mirror. I wonder how much you saved on 115K per month. You should easily have a few million THB saved up. Buy a couple of townhouses around the new MRT stops...not much more than a million a piece...you could be set for life. But, the model of spend it all, and rely on high earnings is a model for failure and never retiring. For many, the high wages of the west served them only in a way to get into an astronomical amount of debt, and they would never be able to come over here, for even 2 months per year. Even though 1 month of high income there, would last a year here. I'm from Fairfax County Virginia, and the median household income is 325,000 THB per month...at 115K you would be in the bottom 20%, and that includes lots of retirees and disabled persons. I'd rather make 80K combined in BKK, than 325K in Virginia, and Virginia is a pretty nice place...but a lot of stuff is dramatically expensive..housing, insurance, car repairs....and I think a lot of those folks put off going to the dentist more than Thais making 25K, it's that expensive. Just food for thought. Do you want to live to work, or work to live? My attitude is work so you don't have to after a while.

Wow, thank you for the lesson in the bleeding obvious. I think everyone fully understands the difference in wages and standard of living equation.

For your information 60k is not a lot, I dont care what the average Thai salary is. If you want to be comfortable 100k minimum (after taxes) in my opinion, and I have looked in the mirror. You don't come to Thailand to become one of the masses just getting by,, (unless you are here because your meagre pension goes further then back home).

Also, if you want to go back home one day but you don't earn enough to save anything reasonable you are stuck in a rutt.

So, to the poster - Aim for 100k plus for sure, that way you can tuck something away that will add to more then a jelly bean after a year or 2. For jobs, its difficult because there are restrictions on working unless you are appropriately qualified and have skill sets that a local cannot do or that are in short supply. The easiest way is find a way to trade (Buy and sell or become a sourcing agent). Everything is made in Asia so finding a product is not a problem and you have the know how (I assume) to network in your own country and find customers, thats what I do. You also have the benefit of having a Thai wife who can work locally with suppliers.

I am also a bit lucky because a Thai company have employed me as an International Sales Director to connect them up with Western customers.. (not really a Director as such, just a title). But if this ends anytime, I can still survive on my own sources.

In todays world in my opinion it is better to try and create 2 or 3 sources of income off your own back as there is no such thing as a safe job nowadays, its tough to start but once you do and you get your head in that place you will be thankful you don't have an employer, believe me. You have to work hard at times of course but you also have your own timekeeping so you can find time to enjoy the country you are in.

Whatever you do, good luck in the future, be open minded and Im sure you will make it work.

Its a good idea to join linkedin and maybe even spring for a premium membership. write a killer profile. people will check you out and the website also sends regular updates on jobs available in Thailand. Many of them might be of less relevance to you but I've seen some interesting things. Find all the people that are relevant to your field of expertise and try to connect to them. It is just one tool but you should try it.

Worked 5years in Bangkok previously as operations manager and customer support manager (international clients).

For what? A food cart, a girlie bar, a ginseng importer, an oil exploiter; what?

Good question. I think he's keeping it quiet for a reason.

Toronto, Canada.

Me, I am a generalist. Not particularly good at anything wink.png. A degree in graphics doesn't get you much these days.

There's a job in the classifieds looking for a design office supervisor/support person.

Good question. I think he's keeping it quiet for a reason.

Operations manager for a start up. Basically hired by the Aussie parent company to set up a "call centre". This was just before the advent of smart phones and the "call centre" was basically an "ask anything" service via txt messaging. I basically found office space, staffing and managed day to day running. The advent of smart phones killed it and I had no desire to be in a traditional call centre.

Customer Support Manager, Travel technology company. Dealt with clients in Dubai, KL and Hong Kong.

Does it pass your muster.

Regretfully I see things haven't changed much here on TV. Ask a question looking for insight and it turns into a pissing and one upmanship contest.

If you plan it and plan to be out of work for 1 year then you give yourself time to develop multiple streams of revenue.

Your design skills could be marketed on sites like freelancer and people per hour.

You could experiment with the jobs market while your out here.

If you both discussed a strategy to "try" living in thai for a year based on you not having a FT job then you give yourself the opportunity to try a variety of roles and if yoy have good common sense, networking skills and desire then I thibk you could find your ideal role. So I'd you can save 25000 US specifically for that trial then what is there to worry about.

Design skills are at the forefront everywhere given ecommerce is changing the face of retail. Exclusive content is key to ecommerce etc.

Sure it is tough on free Lance websites but if your a competent designer you can make 20000 bht a month, if your a better manager than a designer then you could outsource a lot of work to trusted free lancers who work for peanuts and still deliver and if you manage them correctly and empathise the ongoing aspect then you can get results and earn double.

If you plan it and plan to be out of work for 1 year then you give yourself time to develop multiple streams of revenue.

Your design skills could be marketed on sites like freelancer and people per hour.

You could experiment with the jobs market while your out here.

If you both discussed a strategy to "try" living in thai for a year based on you not having a FT job then you give yourself the opportunity to try a variety of roles and if yoy have good common sense, networking skills and desire then I thibk you could find your ideal role. So I'd you can save 25000 US specifically for that trial then what is there to worry about.

Design skills are at the forefront everywhere given ecommerce is changing the face of retail. Exclusive content is key to ecommerce etc.

Sure it is tough on free Lance websites but if your a competent designer you can make 20000 bht a month, if your a better manager than a designer then you could outsource a lot of work to trusted free lancers who work for peanuts and still deliver and if you manage them correctly and empathise the ongoing aspect then you can get results and earn double.