What P***s Me Off About Phuket

neenthewiser

I live in Kata and there is no Songtheaw to Patong.

And the Taximeters wont pick you up if you want dropped off in Patong.

Now, if you live in Patong, this is irrelevant to you. But I just want to let it be known that the main problem with Phuket is the tuk tuk mafia.

From Kata they charge 250 baht to Patong.

It wouldn't be a problem but the plod have started prosecuting drunk driving.

Welcome to paradise!

Apart from that it's alright.

Neenthewiser,

couldn't agree more. Those bastards are the absolute worse mafia in Thailand.....and why???? They charge farangs 3-5 times what they charge thais-from what my thai workmates tell me they pay.....so don't use em.....not sure you are correct about Songthaews to Patong....but I don't go that way very often. Also living in Kata. Bought the motorbike. Have you tried the motorcycle taxis.....yeah they are mafia too, but sometimes much more realistic- like the B50 range Kata to Patong......well, I wish everyone would/could boycott the bastards, know its not that easy, the government should do something but yeah right.... :o

Pattaya Our Experiences v Phuket Resort and Town Patong: Other..

darn it, this sounds a most unfortunate scam in progress. and i thought paying ten baht for shopping excursion's was pricey. my woes pail in comparison to yours. actually let it be known i never pay the ten baht they dream. i pay five baht! i will never support their drinking habits! ocassionally baht bus mafia and 'newbie' tourists get scammed by en-trusting them with one hundred baht notes expecting change. ha, ha, and see those trash dogs put metal to the peddle. did i say one hundred baht, i've seen them take a thousand from an innocent and speed off! trashy dogs, trashy dogs!

this is indeed a price hike. i can only imagine when thais come to our motherland's we should lead them on saying we will give them visa and when we don't, see them crying & pissing on the floor saying why oh why? my new years resolution should begin with giving you guys a visit and start spaying these baht bus trash dogs. in pattaya they started a new 'free' bus route with air conditioning. that was good while it lasted as the mafia leaned on local town hall folk. they ended owning that enterprise and are in progress once again terrorising tourists. all i can say facts are facts: trash dogs, trashy drunken dogs. have a nice day.

Thaimee.

The last time i used a tuk tuk the driver quoted me some out rageous price, when i began to haggle the theiving git down he wipped out a card, pointed to a line on it that stated our present location and my destination and the number of Km between them, it also had a price on it... the price was still too high, so i smiled and walked away. Funny enough he soon dropped the price to a more acceptable level and i was whisked away to my desired location.

Maybe, just maybe the tuk tuk mafia is begining to see some sense and fix their pricing (Still too high, but its a start, right?) with more and more metered taxi's kicking around its got to happen sooner or later.

But i feel your pain, as a rule i dont use tuk tuks because i hate getting ripped off by a thai guy who stinks of cheap thai whisky, I know it sounds a bit bitter and twisted but it does get my goat up! :o

I want to save my cash for my cheap vodka! :D

Now, if you live in Patong, this is irrelevant to you. But I just want to let it be known that the main problem with Phuket is the  tuk tuk mafia.

My pet hate as well.Don`t use them unless I have to.They would rather go back into town with no fare than quote a reasonable fare.Biggest problem tourists have.

Something really should be done about better transport on the island if they want more tourists.MaiPenRai :o:D

My pet hate as well.Don`t use them unless I have to.They would rather go back into town with no fare than quote a reasonable fare.

I agree niagarekoja! they place alot of emphasis on not losing face. perhaps too much.

How's about copy the same tactics the american cops use on TV? what they do is put spikes down across the road. well ok that's a bit far fetched, but it wouldn't harm to throw a few randon tac nails under the wheels when one tuk tuk driver has insulted your girlfriend in the most extreme manner.

i don't think i have the balls to do because you know they don't forget your face. even a year later! but just a thought..

Thaimee.

They would probably earn more money in Patong if they used the baht bus system similar to pattaya, Doing circular routes round town.So many people walk rather than argue with them. I believe the drivers have to pay 500 baht a shift rent,so they the drivers,have to earn this first before any profit but thats not the tourists problem.There`s probably just too many tuk tuks to earn a good living.Though after saying that I have noticed that all the tuk tuks are parked outside decent bungalows when not working. :o

As are the songthiews !!! Even better houses. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I also would like to see the baht bus system. I do think that Tuk Tuk are too small.

How about the Chiang Mai system of having baht bus like p/u. trucks that do both. You can get oyu private of hail one on the run. That would be good for Phuket in general but I doubt that the Tuk Mob would disban the current investment as I expect those little red rip off carts are much cheaper.

I must add that at 100 baht Tuks are very cheap insurance that you arrive at your hotel safely!

I believe the previous poster was a multiple victem?

Supply and demand...a high concept seemingly lost, by the tuk tuk mob.

Has anyone noticed there are twice as many as last year? Lured by

the promise of big money, i think they get pissed at us that they cant make $$

:o ..econ 101

niagrejo..... The mafia is at work in Pattaya as well. Notice the line of empty songtel parked at the curb opposite the temple on the main road to Jomtien beach.

There is a starter that directs you into a waiting songtel, that won't leave untill he is jammed, that could be more than ten minutes in the heat.

I just walk past them and about a half block up the road another songtel will pass by, either not a member under mafia control or one that has made a right turn from the beach with one passenger.

Same game on the return from Jomtien. I refuse to wait in a songtel until the driver decides when he will leave. So walk up the road a hundred meters and there will be another along where you don have to wait.

Hopefully enough farang will boycott this "system". The Thais are like sheep and do what they are told so it works, but not for me.

Supply and demand...a  high concept seemingly lost, by the tuk tuk mob.

Has anyone noticed there are twice as many as last year? Lured by

the promise of big money, i think they get pissed at us  that they cant make $$

:D  ..econ 101

So true! re tuk tuks :o

I have a couple of thai m/cycle taxi guys who look after me very well.Even take me and g/f when I have no small money pay next day,always 20baht each Usually give them a bottle of whisky to share now and again.They like that. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Did you see this in the Gazette Issues and Answers?

Why no Karon-Patong bus?

Why is there no songtaew bus running between Karon and Patong?

Monday, May 10, 2004 Alex Thow.

“In 1994, we established a public transport route linking Patong and Karon. After just three days, however, the driver was pulled from his vehicle and badly beaten by competitors.

We would still like to have an investor operate a songtaew along that route, but since 1994 nobody has contacted us about it.

They are probably worried about having similar problems and losing their investment capital. Public transport in Phuket faces many problems of this nature. ”

Monday, May 10, 2004 Teerayuth Prasertphol, Deputy Director, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.

Did you see this in the Gazette Issues and Answers?

Why no Karon-Patong bus?

Why is there no songtaew bus running between Karon and Patong?

Monday, May 10, 2004 Alex Thow.

“In 1994, we established a public transport route linking Patong and Karon. After just three days, however, the driver was pulled from his vehicle and badly beaten by competitors.

We would still like to have an investor operate a songtaew along that route, but since 1994 nobody has contacted us about it.

They are probably worried about having similar problems and losing their investment capital. Public transport in Phuket faces many problems of this nature. ”

Monday, May 10, 2004  Teerayuth Prasertphol, Deputy Director, Phuket Provincial Transportation Office.

Saw that,just posted that on another forum.I was trying to find the article in the gazette that actually has the fare scales going out of Patong but couldn`t find it.

There is a set and agreed fares list,but not FOR within Patong for some silly reason.They can charge what they want. A few tuk tuk have this fare list posted up somewhere,that`s if they haven`t stuck something over it. :o There are all supposed to display a number,many still do not.

Also,sure I read somewhere that they were going to charge more for going up hills because they said it used more fuel.!! Never mind they freewheel down the otherside. :D :D TIT.