Not Easy To Get Taxis To Put On Their Meters.

tropo

I don't spend much time in Bangkok, but over the last 4 days I've been using taxis a lot, and found that often it's not easy to find a taxi that is willing to use the meter...usually during peak hours, but not always.

It took quite a while in the taxi rank outside MBK at around 9pm to find a taxi that would use its meter. I was being quoted 200 bht for a 70 baht ride.

Another time I found it impossible to find a taxi willing to use the meter from Khao San Road to China Town (Yaowarat Rd)...they were asking 200 plus, and another day I had difficulty from Yaowarat Rd back to MBK...and eventually negotiated a fare of 130 bht.

Mostly I did succeed, but often impatience got the better of me, and I negotiated a price.

Are there some 'tricks-of-the-trade' that I should learn regarding the use of Bangkok taxis, or is my experience the norm?

Edited by tropo

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When this happens and my wife is with me she goes BALLISTIC! She goes off on the guy and

he usually goes and hides in his car til we leave. Some even speed off! I tried to restrain her

a couple times but gave up on that.

She said never happens to her if she is alone, just when they see a farang.

I don't spend much time in Bangkok, but over the last 4 days I've been using taxis a lot, and found that often it's not easy to find a taxi that is willing to use the meter...usually during peak hours, but not always.

You must be doing something wrong. I get into the rear seat of the cab, close the door, and tell the cabbie my destination. He turns on the meter and drives off.

Are you telling him the destination before you get into the cab? If so, he thinks you know the taxi service from the old time, when there were no meters, and that you want to negotiate the fare.

---------------

Maestro

It depends where you try to get one. The places that you mentioned; Kao San & outside MBK are both places that are frequented by tourists and as such sometimes attract some unscrupulous taxi drivers.

When I need to get a taxi after going to MBK I'll walk a few hundred meters in any direction first and flag one down.

You may get the same problem if you want to get a taxi outside of Tesco or Carrefour etc.

Outside of these areas tho, you should NEVER have this problem. If they won't turn on the meter just get out. Simple.

Edited by ashacat

Yes, just ignore the areas where they wont put on the meter. In Patpong late at night those on the Patpong side of Silom never want to use the meter; those on the Convent side are fine with the meter, so just cross over the road; they can just cut through Saladaeng or Convent to go in the Lumpini direction.

:D It is annoying. I sent my parents out a couple of years ago when they had their first visit. I left them at Jim Thompsons after lunch and went off somewhere else. They caught a taxi back home and were charged a whopping outrageous 800 baht. :D:D My dad was very proud that he had negociated the bent driver down from 1000 :D . he commented that he couldn't understand why I said Taxi's were so affordable. I countered with 'didn't you see the <deleted> meter when we went to the BTS you daft old sod?!' :o I will never go anywhere wiht a driver who refuses a meter. I used to find it a huge problem at DM airport. The drivers would come up with hugely inflated prices thinking that we had just come down with the last shower. A few words in Thai (all I can manage) and we normally got the meter. Any that refused lost our custom :D

I would have sworn there was a hotline number to report taxi's not using the meter or any other taxi-related problems, but I'll be darned if I can find out on searching. :o

Anyone?

Not sure what it is offhand, but my girlfriend called it once when we were trying to take our shopping home from Carrefore Rama 4, and none of the 5 or 6 taxi's waiting there were willing to take us to Soi Soon Vijai (not too bloody far!!) One of the guys she asked was a rude prick, so she gave his reg number. :D

I think 1175 is the tourist police - and worth whipping out the mobile and just pretending to call is enough to wind them up for the trick they're pulling (though you may not after all want to take that particular cabbie)

agree with many of the above: hail on the road not at a stop, walk a little further away if in touristy areas, speak Thai

I got in one outside Pat Pong and wanted to go to Nana he asked for 300 baht i said no and went to get out and he locked the door. After 5 mins telling him no and asking him to put the meter on he got realy angry and opend the doors and told me to get out veray scary experience. i now only flag down passing taxi cabs and ask how much before i get in. But on the other hand i find tuk tuks allways try to charge outrages fares

I think 1175 is the tourist police - and worth whipping out the mobile and just pretending to call is enough to wind them up for the trick they're pulling (though you may not after all want to take that particular cabbie)

agree with many of the above: hail on the road not at a stop, walk a little further away if in touristy areas, speak Thai

1155 is tourist police, but this wasn't the one I was referring to. The taxis had their own designated number. I want to say 1288, but that may just as well put you in touch with Pizza Hut... :o

so I'm not sure on that number.

I tell him to turn on the meter.

If he doesn't I get out.

Yes, it's as easy as that.

I've never had a cabbie refuse to turn on the meter when I point it out to them,

Basically they're just testing the newbie factor, opportunist abound, :o

If he doesn't I get out.

I've never had a cabbie refuse to turn on the meter when I point it out to them,

Exactly.

And if on the very rare occasion he refuses to turn the meter on, simply get out and leave, but make a special point of leaving the door open.

They hate that because they have to get out and close it themselves.

Childish I know, but oooooooooh it feels so good.

I would have sworn there was a hotline number to report taxi's not using the meter or any other taxi-related problems, but I'll be darned if I can find out on searching.

SJ, from a recent post of yours of a news report:

There have also been a number of complaints about taxis not using their meters...Director-General of the Land Transport Department Piyapan Champasut suggests that travelers note down the taxi’s plate number and driver’s name if there is a violation.

Consumers can report the incident to the department by calling 1584. Staff will be assigned to receive complaints around the clock. If found guilty, the driver will face serious penalties,” said Piyapan.

--------------

Maestro

I would have sworn there was a hotline number to report taxi's not using the meter or any other taxi-related problems, but I'll be darned if I can find out on searching.

SJ, from a recent post of yours of a news report:

There have also been a number of complaints about taxis not using their meters...Director-General of the Land Transport Department Piyapan Champasut suggests that travelers note down the taxi’s plate number and driver’s name if there is a violation.

Consumers can report the incident to the department by calling 1584. Staff will be assigned to receive complaints around the clock. If found guilty, the driver will face serious penalties,” said Piyapan.

--------------

Maestro

AHH YES.... That's it!!! 1584. Everyone take note. Thank you, Maestro! :o:D

..... and who says September 30 is recent? If it's more than 7 days, it's ancient history... :D :D

Thanks again.

:D

If he doesn't I get out.

Exactly.

And if on the very rare occasion he refuses to turn the meter on, simply get out and leave, but make a special point of leaving the door open.

They hate that because they have to get out and close it themselves.

Childish I know, but oooooooooh it feels so good.

Excellent suggestion! :D

If he doesn't I get out.

Basically they're just testing the newbie factor, opportunist abound, :D

Gave my sister this exact advice - they got out and into the taxi behind, no problem.....

PLUS

PLEASE!!!

DO NOT - NOT - NOT - stand there on the street with your head stuck thru the window discussing where you need to go... for <deleted>'s sake.... GET IN THE TAXI & tell him where you need to go. Any problem, get out and repeat with another taxi. This must be the biggest giveaway that you're ready to be had...

and it really p@isses off other drivers stuck behind your taxi while you ask if he knows where Kao san road is.. :o

coops

If it's more than 7 days, it's ancient history...[/i][/size][/font] :D:o

That’s how fast we are aging, my good fellow.

Two doctors, Harry and Jim:

Harry: What’s the first name of Dr. Alzheimer, after whom Alzheimer’s disease is named?

Jim: I forgot.

Harry: See, that’s how it starts!

Not applicable to us, of course. Touch wood!

---------------

Maestro

If it's more than 7 days, it's ancient history... :D:o

That’s how fast we are aging, my good fellow.

Two doctors, Harry and Jim:

Harry: What’s the first name of Dr. Alzheimer, after whom Alzheimer’s disease is named?

Jim: I forgot.

Harry: See, that’s how it starts!

Not applicable to us, of course. Touch wood!

---------------

Maestro

I'm sorry, Maestro, but I've forgotten what your post was in reference to....

:D

Talk about a stressfull occupation.

Best not to smartmouth a Bangkok Cabbie.

I think most have a axe or somthing under the seat.

For sure.

Get in, get out but hold the drama. No slanging match and no raised voice.

They get the gist.

Edited by johnnyk

Agree with previous advice- don't take one waiting on the street, flag down one that's moving, get out of a cab which tries to charge you over the meter, don't get into heated arguments, etc.

If they've been particularly rude or scurrilous (like agreeing to take me somewhere and driving 100m and then trying to say no or charging a higher fare) then I will also usually leave the back door open as I walk away.

"Steven"