Not Easy To Get Taxis To Put On Their Meters.

tropo

Perhaps Dantilley has discovered some other ways to avoid conflict with Thai taxi drivers, of which I am unaware. In a spirit of working together to understand as much as we can about Thailand, I hope he will share those discoveries on this thread. However, just writing that something is "crazy" doesn't help with that.

Hang on a minute, what about the rest of the post that I wrote which explains how I came to the conclusion that your advice was crazy? Did you just skip straight to the end or something?

Well, anyway, in the rest of the post I was trying to get you to confirm if the situation you were talking about was just the usual run-of-the-mill refusal of destination or refusal to turn on the meter. If so, then how does all this talk of avoiding conflict even come into it?

To re-iterate, the two situations I was talking about before:

1) If the driver doesn't want to go where you want to go, you either shut the door and carry on or, if you are already inside, just get out and get in the next cab. There is never any conflict of any kind, both you and the driver carry on your separate ways. Are you seriously telling me you'd do this, and leave behind some cash on his back seat??!! No-one I've ever met, Farrang or Thai, ever does this. It just isn't even a consideration.

2) Or if you're in a cab and he doesn't turn on the meter. You've probably gone 5 yards down the road at this point, or more likely are still stationary. OK, simply open the door, get out and move onto the next cab. No harsh words exchanged, no conflict, you simply get in another taxi and he cruises on to try and get his next fare. So why should someone leave behind cash for the taxi driver in this case? What does it achieve? You're simply throwing money away for no reason.

OK, I know this was just re-writing my post before to a certain extent but it seems like you missed the points I was trying to make: hopefully now you see what I'm getting at after I've elaborated on them a bit.

If you're just talking about these two situations as above, then you're simply instructing your friends coming to Bangkok to give money away to (probably quite confused) taxi drivers for absolutely no reason.

Edited by dantilley

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally use taxis in Bangkok as a little as possible.

Bangkok, like most large cities, is a magnet for con artists, scam artists and the like.

that is just silly. taxis in bangkok are generally hassle free

Not the typical story, but it actually happened and was not "hassle free."

During my last stay in Bangkok I caught a cab on a Saturday night from the "meter-taxi" line at at the Conrad where I was staying. I was going to meet friends in Nana which was a 40b cab ride. Once we took off through the parking lot, the cabbie turned around, turned off the meter, and told me that the ride would be 500b. I insisted on the meter, and stated that he should return me to the Conrad if he was not going to use it. Claiming not to speak English, he then asked for 300b. I again insisted on the meter or a return to where I was picked up. His response was to stop the car and try to kick me out. Seeing no upside I decided I would comply. However, before existing I told him that he should not pick up passengers at a line designated for metered taxis, and muttered that he was acting like an a**hole. His English skills had apparently improved because he took great offense to my use of that term. He jumped out of the taxi, swung open the passenger door,and grabbed me. I told him to let go and pushed his hands away. When I stood up outside the taxi, he pushed me. My response, of which I am not particularly proud, was to drop him with a punch to the jaw. He got up, swung at me again, and I dropped him again. At this point another cab stopped and the driver was watching. I started to walk away and the cab driver attacked me again, same result. The cab driver then went to his trunk and I ran.

I later, contacted the police (at the insistence of my Thai girlfriend), but to my knowledge nothing ever happened (before getting into the taxi the doorman at the Conrad gives the passenger a paper with the cab number written on it).

I am just lucky that the driver did not use a weapon (who knows what was in the trunk), the other cab driver only watched, and the police did not try to arrest me based on my report.

This was the first real problem I have had with a taxi (or for that matter with anyone in Thailand) in more than 15 trips. While I still take cabs, I make sure that they agree to the meter before I shut the door. Again, not typical but "hassles" do occur.

I would love to hear the cabie's side of this incident. The negotiation went badly wrong and he didn't expect to get into a fight over it, I suspect that he certainly couldn't speak enough English to sort it out, and just wanted the passenger out of the cab. He is probably working quite happilly outside the tourist areas now, and is one of those who are worried when they see a farang and they don't stop in case there will be confusion. It is unfair to get a cab which has been waiting in a queue and expect to use the meter unless you are going to somewhere like Pattaya. It is probably not even illegal not to use the meter in this situation. It is called contract or whole package (mow. like drunk in Thai, but rising tone) The hotel is wrong to pretend that this is not the case. A freind of mine at The Shangri La, gets the concierge to send out and bring back a cruising cab, refering to the line as "mafia"!

I have noticed that there is often a delay in switching on the meter and I wonder if he is checking to see if I panic. My plan is to let it go until I think I've had 35 baht's worth and get out, I am prepared to accept that I am unlikly to get change from 40 though, in which case he gets a five baht tip. I think that if I say "meter" I have suggested the possibility of not using it, also he could be offended, he doesn't have auto and his prority is driving. There is no need to worry about his problems, if the car is doing less than 6km/hour the meter charges on time. Look for a schedule of charges hanging behind the drivers seat, some are still there; all is covered. I refuse to allow that I have got into a crook's cab, we should always see the best or if it is not abvious assume it is there, he is a working man and I treat him as that. Surprise and disappointment should be shown if he wont switch on the meter, definitely not anger, least said, especially in the wrong language, soonest forgotten. I actually was surprised once when I stepped out of the WTC to find that the driver standing by his cab wanted a "mow". No offence given or taken; I needed only to walk the width of his car into the road to get the cab. I have often taken offence in this situation in the past and it causes embarassment all round, now that I am old and retired I think that I have a better sense of proportion. When things go wrong assume that it is a misunderstanding; it usually is.

Bangkok, like most large cities, is a magnet for con artists, scam artists and the like.

During my last stay in Bangkok I caught a cab on a Saturday night from the "meter-taxi" line at at the Conrad where I was staying. I was going to meet friends in Nana which was a 40b cab ride. Once we took off through the parking lot, the cabbie turned around, turned off the meter, and told me that the ride would be 500b. I insisted on the meter, and stated that he should return me to the Conrad if he was not going to use it. Claiming not to speak English, he then asked for 300b. I again insisted on the meter or a return to where I was picked up. His response was to stop the car and try to kick me out. Seeing no upside I decided I would comply. However, before existing I told him that he should not pick up passengers at a line designated for metered taxis, and muttered that he was acting like an a**hole. His English skills had apparently improved because he took great offense to my use of that term. He jumped out of the taxi, swung open the passenger door,and grabbed me. I told him to let go and pushed his hands away. When I stood up outside the taxi, he pushed me. My response, of which I am not particularly proud, was to drop him with a punch to the jaw. He got up, swung at me again, and I dropped him again. At this point another cab stopped and the driver was watching. I started to walk away and the cab driver attacked me again, same result. The cab driver then went to his trunk and I ran.

I later, contacted the police (at the insistence of my Thai girlfriend), but to my knowledge nothing ever happened (before getting into the taxi the doorman at the Conrad gives the passenger a paper with the cab number written on it).

I am just lucky that the driver did not use a weapon (who knows what was in the trunk), the other cab driver only watched, and the police did not try to arrest me based on my report.

This was the first real problem I have had with a taxi (or for that matter with anyone in Thailand) in more than 15 trips. While I still take cabs, I make sure that they agree to the meter before I shut the door. Again, not typical but "hassles" do occur.

It is unfair to get a cab which has been waiting in a queue and expect to use the meter unless you are going to somewhere like Pattaya.

nonsense

It is unfair to get a cab which has been waiting in a queue and expect to use the meter unless you are going to somewhere like Pattaya.

nonsense

I agree ts my hyperbole is not good, would you prefer :"miles and miles" or "odyssey" possibly,? although I think that a comment on grammer would be better addressed to a language forum.

How amusing, to quote Mr. Dave:

Chatette probably looks, moves, and talks like a man who knows his way around Bangkok.

Taxi drivers who are out for the quick scam will immediately see they have little chance of success with him.

So they refuse the fare and go prowling for better game.

I'm a woman :o but yes, I do know my way around Bangkok better than many taxi drivers. I had to take one Wed. night when I was kept at work until 1 a.m. Flagged one right outside the building and proceeded home with no drama so I doubled the fare, which was --ridiculously at that hour-- cheaper than the skytrain/metro combo I normally take.

I agree ts my hyperbole is not good, would you prefer :"miles and miles" or "odyssey" possibly,? although I think that a comment on grammer would be better addressed to a language forum.

i was actually disagreeing with the statement itself, paticulary the part where you say it is "unfair" to expect use the metere in a metered taxi.

oh well, at least you have got the quoting thing down.

i was actually disagreeing with the statement itself, paticulary the part where you say it is "unfair" to expect use the metere in a metered taxi.

oh well, at least you have got the quoting thing down.

Taken out of context; I said a taxi waiting in a queue, it has a meter I allow, but the status of the thing is my point. They are said to pay for the privilege of being where they are, legal or not, they have to earn more money than the meter taxi or accept less income than the cruising taxi, I conclude that it is unfair to expect that. They mistake us for someone who can afford the price of convenience but not the cost of the hotel limo. The hotel should make this clear but pretends that it is not so.

nonsense

I agree utter nonsense. You should read the post thoroughly. Your argument that I should not expect a "meter" in a queue unless it is a long trip is ridiculous generally, and even more dumbfounding when the facts are examined here.

I expected a meter because the Conrad does not allow taxis to queue that are not going to use the meter. The hotel has a sign that states that its taxi queue is for "metered" fares (they do this for the benefit of their guests so that they can avoid this type of negotiation). The doorman speaks to the cabbie regarding the destination and meter.

I expected a meter because the cabbie in this instance turned on the meter when he picked me up as the fare, and as the doorman told him my destination. If he did not know the meter was required, he would not have turned it on initially. Only after we left the Conrad did the cabbie turn off the meter. Then he tried to inflate the price demanding 12x the cost of the 2km fare.

This was not a case of dealing with the "taxi mafia" lined up on the street outside a hotel awaiting a fare to Pattaya or otherwise. The queue was to the entrance of the hotel not on the street (it is more similar to the line at the airport where the line moves along without any negotiation as guests depart, as opposed to the guys waiting and turning down fares until they find the one with the biggest payout). I avoided the street and the mafia intentionally.

Edited by hastings

I agree utter nonsense. You should read the post thoroughly. Your argument that I should not expect a "meter" in a queue unless it is a long trip is ridiculous generally, and even more dumbfounding when the facts are examined here.

I expected a meter because the Conrad does not allow taxis to queue that are not going to use the meter. The hotel has a sign that states that its taxi queue is for "metered" fares (they do this for the benefit of their guests so that they can avoid this type of negotiation). The doorman speaks to the cabbie regarding the destination and meter.

I expected a meter because the cabbie in this instance turned on the meter when he picked me up as the fare, and as the doorman told him my destination. If he did not know the meter was required, he would not have turned it on initially. Only after we left the Conrad did the cabbie turn off the meter. Then he tried to inflate the price demanding 12x the cost of the 2km fare.

This was not a case of dealing with the "taxi mafia" lined up on the street outside a hotel awaiting a fare to Pattaya or otherwise. The queue was to the entrance of the hotel not on the street (it is more similar to the line at the airport where the line moves along without any negotiation as guests depart, as opposed to the guys waiting and turning down fares until they find the one with the biggest payout). I avoided the street and the mafia intentionally.

I am sorry, although I replied to your post I don't remember any reference to the specifics of the Conrad Hotel. I still stand by my post, in the case of the this hotel, and possibly others where the negotiation is done by them, you have every right to expect the deal to be honoured, just as you do on the road when the negotioation is taken care of by the law. My policy is to avoid negotiation which if you read my post entirely you will see. A taxi driver is liable if he does the job wrongly; I was talking to a lady who reported a taxi for not taking the closest U-turn to her destination, then told her he had to return the car, and made her get down, she remarked that he should have told her this before she got in, left him with a "my pen rai" then reported him! He was fined 500baht and had to attend classes of retraining. I think the max penalty is a month in jail and 1000 baht. You were unlucky and I sympathise with you for the unpleasantness you suffered but I am not criticizing you. p.s. I have just reread your post and my post does seem ridiculous if you know the Conrad Hotel system, I should not have posted where I did.

Edited by tgeezer

queue or no queue, taxi mafia or not, i stand on my point that a taxi meter is, exactly that, a taxi meter.

taxis wait in hotel queues for the hope of a big payout, but the very nature of a queue is like a lottery and they should take what they get. if they are not finding the queue profitable they can do what other industrious drivers do, drive around looking for fares.

they also have the right to refuse service if they are given a destination they dont like.

it is certainly not unfair to ask a person driving a taxi meter to drive you somewhere for the number the meter says when you get there, it is required by law.

It is certainly not unfair to ask a person driving a taxi meter to drive you somewhere for the number the meter says when you get there, it is required by law.

Mr. T.S., may I ask, respectfully, do you have much experience in Bangkok?

I ask because whether or not some foreigner thinks something is fair or not fair, is of little concern here.

That is a lesson most foreigners learn very quickly after arrival.

(Some never do learn.)

As for "required by law" -- in Thailand -- that is better learned by your own personal experience rather than from any suggestions on a forum like this.

I sincerely hope your learning experiences on that topic are benign.

Edited by Mr_Dave

I'm a woman but yes, I do know my way around Bangkok

"Woman" explains everything about Chatette's problems with taxi drivers refusing to take the fare.

Whether some foreign female knows anything about Bangkok or not is irrelevant in the taxi-meter game.

In her post on this thread about problems with taxis, Chatette didn't disclose she is female and her profile states, at this moment, "Gender Not Set".

That omission is misleading to visitors coming to Bangkok and reading this forum for advice about taxis.

Foreign females are simply not desirable taxi customers.

Females offer no chance of taking the passenger to "massage" where the driver can get a good commission.

It is my opinion, that foreign females in Bangkok can expect more rejections than foreign men with taxi-meters.

Now we'll see all the liberated foreign females howl and scream that I've offended their gender.

However, in my talks with Thais in the tourist business, the topic of foreign females comes up quite a bit.

I have no interest in that topic, but Thais I know mention it a lot, usually along these lines, "Lady farang no good, no tip."

Perhaps taxi drivers are thinking the same when they see Chatette trying to flag down a taxi.

Ah, yes, ease of getting taxis is yet another of the many benefits to being a man in Bangkok.

I can’t see what the fuss is all about. I use taxis all the time and I can’t think of many times in the last couple of years where I have had a problem. Open the door, tell them where your going, see if they agree, get in and voila! The only times I have had to tell the driver to put the meter on is when I’m going to the airport. Obviously there is the usual scammers standing along the side of Silom and Sukhumvit etc.. but they are easily avoidable. Once I had about 10 taxis refuse to take me to Banglumpoo from Pratunam but those taxis where also refusing groups of Thais as well so Mr Dave I’m not sure your theory is always the case. Also Mr Dave, Why do you think it’s not fair to pay the meter price? Isn’t that the idea of the thing? If the taxi driver doesn’t want to use the meter then he should buy a tuk tuk.

Jake

I can’t see what the fuss is all about. I use taxis all the time and I can’t think of many times in the last couple of years where I have had a problem.

Good to hear that you've had no problems with taxis in Bangkok.

If other travelers had your good luck there would be zero interest in any thread on this topic.

The fuss is because that is the most common scam or problem that visitors to Bangkok are likely to face.

A quick search will show that taxi problems is a very common topic on all travel forums related to Bangkok.

There are other scams, of course, but the most common that you read about again and again, year after year, on forums related to travel in Bangkok are problems with taxis (and tuk-tuks).

Thus, the fuss.

Hopefully, if experienced travelers continue to post here, about their experiences, and their solutions to the problem, then novice travelers will have a better chance of avoiding taxi scams in Bangkok.

It is certainly not unfair to ask a person driving a taxi meter to drive you somewhere for the number the meter says when you get there, it is required by law.

Mr. T.S., may I ask, respectfully, do you have much experience in Bangkok?

I ask because whether or not some foreigner thinks something is fair or not fair, is of little concern here.

That is a lesson most foreigners learn very quickly after arrival.

(Some never do learn.)

As for "required by law" -- in Thailand -- that is better learned by your own personal experience rather than from any suggestions on a forum like this.

I sincerely hope your learning experiences on that topic are benign.

Mr Dave, i appreciate your respect, and respectfully reply.

i have been living and working here for 12 years, in bangkok. you decide if that is a long time or not.

i never use my car except to escape the city. My daily form transportation in town has always been taxis. beyond a a few isolated and very minor incidents some years ago, I have not had any of the problems described in this thread. if i have had a problem i simply got out and walked away.

as for my use of the term "unfair", it was in response to another post which claimed it was "unfair" to expect a taxi meter originating in a queue to use the meter. i maintain that that is nonsense. on the other hand, if they want to try to scam me, that is ok too, i am just not having any of it. if he was just trying his luck, he has two options. to ask me out of the cab, or to turn on the meter and get on with it. I will accept either response.

my only truly bad experience was approximately 5 years ago. annoyed with the crap vehicles that used to serve don muang (until its closure), i used to go up a floor to departures and flag a taxi that had been dropping somone else off. it was around the same time that a number of taxi related abductions and assaults (murders?) had coccured.

In the middle of the expressway, the taxi suddenly stopped and pulled to the side of the road, the driver got out and approcahed the trunk. remembering these incidents for the first time, i became anxious and exited the car leaving my first time in thailand visitor in the back seat oblivious. i stood directly behind the driver as he opened thr trunk and pulled out a gas can and proceeded to refill the vehicles tank. relieved i got back into the car and we proceeded home.

Unfortunaltely, that was not the end of the story. the driver proceeded past every exit i directed him to in Thai and only after a very adamant threat and a protracted ride did he actually drive me to my home. at this point, he turned around and demanded 500 baht for the ride. i did not get out earlier because i did not want to make my passnger more nervous, and i did not want to carry her bags around in search of another taxi.

As we were directly in front of my house, i explained to him i did not have change, and told him i was going to the coffee shop across the street to break a thousand baht note. leaving my freind behind, I walked into the coffee shop, went to the counter, bought a small bottle of sangthip (yes, that long ago) and placed it in front of one of the local policemen that enjoyed spending afternoons and evenings watching football and napping in the booths, and explained my situation. he had seen me often enough as i ordered food from there often, and after a few drinks he inevitable attempted to start up a conversation. he agreed to help, so we then returned to the taxi waiting outside and my visitor and i went about our business as the taxi driver was pulling out his paperwork and looking very distraught. we paid no fare whatsoever.

In that respect, my learning experience most certainly did turn out to be benign.

thank you for your concern

Hopefully, if experienced travelers continue to post here, about their experiences, and their solutions to the problem, then novice travelers will have a better chance of avoiding taxi scams in Bangkok.

Well, to satisfy this request here, the advice to give to novice travellers is simple:

Before the taxi sets off, make sure he has the meter on. If not, ask him to put it on. If he refuses to do so, get out of the taxi and get into another one.

Doing this will ensure no unpleasant incidents and no "scams". Been following this simple rule for years and had virtually no problems at all with taxis.

I am young, dress well, teach at a prestigous english school and no taxi has ever asked to take me to a massage. are you sure you dont hang out in the lower sukhumwit sois when this is happening? how are you dressed? like i said, i dress perfessional and i am young and good looking etc

Well, to satisfy this request here, the advice to give to novice travellers is simple:

Before the taxi sets off, make sure he has the meter on. If not, ask him to put it on. If he refuses to do so, get out of the taxi and get into another one.

Doing this will ensure no unpleasant incidents and no "scams". Been following this simple rule for years and had virtually no problems at all with taxis.

I took taxis from BangKen to Suan Plu and back yesterday noticed that neither driver switched on the meter until underway. Is it possible that making the meter the priority could antagonize the driver?

First time in Bangkok I followed the advise from guidebooks: Ask the price before entering the car - or you will get overprised. :D

What a bad advise! :D

Now I just get into the car and tell my destination - I have never experienced a driver not to put on the meter. :D

But maybe I have been lucky... :o

I am young, dress well, teach at a prestigous english school and no taxi has ever asked to take me to a massage. are you sure you dont hang out in the lower sukhumwit sois when this is happening? how are you dressed? like i said, i dress perfessional and i am young and good looking etc

you also seem very smug. glad to hear things are going well for you.

Edited by t.s

First time in Bangkok I followed the advise from guidebooks: Ask the price before entering the car - or you will get overprised. :D

What a bad advise! :D

Now I just get into the car and tell my destination - I have never experienced a driver not to put on the meter. :D

But maybe I have been lucky... :o

Most people never have a problem. One thing to consider if you are unlucky enough find a taxi not following the rules is to ask yourself what other laws is he prepared to break and get out with as little acrimony as possible.

when im in bangkok i always ask the driver to put the meter on but the last time there I got stung.

I had my bags with me and was getting a taxi from khaosan area to sukhumvit to get to my hotel on soi 11.

I flagged the taxi down and I told the driver where I was going and asked him to use the meter. he agreed then put all my bags in the boot.

I got in the front and he started driving with the meter off. I quizzed him and he said the meter wasnt working and just said he would charge 170 baht.

we were already on the move, my bags were in the boot and it was only 170 baht but it still pissed me off. b*stard!! :o

Edited by game4shame

I am young, dress well, teach at a prestigous english school and no taxi has ever asked to take me to a massage. are you sure you dont hang out in the lower sukhumwit sous when this is happening? how are you dressed? like i said, i dress perfessional and i am young and good looking etc

you also seem very smug. glad to hear things are going well for you.

You are correct that the quoted poster is much too smug. Apparently he believes that he is a better person than those persons that choose to see Nana (although he has failed to make the case with a reasoned argument or evidence as being well dressed barely qualifies). I am more concerned that he is teaching English in Thailand. His grammar and spelling are atrocious. Sadly, he seems to be yet another example of the failures of western teachers in Thailand. It is obvious that Thai schools will allow almost anyone to teach. I hope that his students at the “prestigious English school” rely on their textbooks rather than his instruction if this post is an indication of his English skills.

As for his arguments, age and how you are dressed should not make a difference as to whether the taxi driver uses a meter. It could be argued that a cabbie might more readily attempt to scam someone that is either young or better dressed based on the assumption that such a passenger lacks experience and has more money than the average fare. Without more substance to the arguments, I would suggest that TV readers observe the other advice on this topic.