Locals just can't get enough of delicious ants eggs!

webfact

Locals just can't get enough of delicious ants eggs!

egg.jpg
Image: Thairath

SUKHOTHAI:-- It's a once a year delicacy - yummy red ants eggs.

The prized eggs can only be collected in the dry season between March and May and can go for as much as 500 baht a kilo, reports Thairath.

Reporters investigating the business went to see how they were collected and prepared in a village in the Sawankhalok district of the northern province of Sukhothai on Thursday.

There they met an ant expert Prathip Rungreuang, 44, otherwise known as Pa Jan. He uses a six metre long bamboo pole with a plastic bag on the end lined with flour to prod at the nests in mango trees.

The ants and the eggs fall into the traps then are separated on a tray with the ants allowed to return to the trees to make more nests.

The eggs are made into a curry and often used instead of chopped pork in omelettes. But the most famous dish that people just can't get enough of is 'Yam Khai Mot Daeng' or red ants eggs prepared in a spicy salad style.

The eggs are mixed with red onions, regular onions, spring onions, coriander, hot chillies, and chopped together. Then they are flavoured with fish sauce, lime juice and sugar to give the three flavours the dish is famous for, salty sour and sweet.

Pa Jan manages to collect between half a kilo and a full kilo of eggs per day giving him a good extra earner during the dry season.

And giving the locals some delicious food too!

Source: Thairath

tvn.png
-- 2016-05-06

Mrs Bra has been enjoying these ant eggs the last few days in Isan. Unfortunately I am in Australia now and have to put up with pie floaters at the footy.

I've never understood the appeal of the ants eggs.

I have eaten them and they seem absolutely tasteless.

When they're prepared, the only flavour comes from what is added to them.

My belief is that Thais only like them because they are expensive.

Rather like Thai beef which they cook till it's almost cremated, tasty because it's expensive

I have eaten the ant eggs soup, maybe it was just everything else in it that made it good but I really liked it. It kind of reminded me of Campbells Beef Barley Soup.

post-146890-0-94461000-1462501192_thumb.

My consumer behavior marketing prof at uni made statement that stuck with me "All tastes are acquired". He also said having hard time with liver. Lots of us farangs like rotten milk (cheese). If you lay off beef for a bit, it too can taste a bit odd.

Rather like Thai beef which they cook till it's almost cremated, tasty because it's expensive

I thought they tasted like lime or lemon? Are these the same anteggs the aboriginals eat?

If you're tired of thai beef buy frozen duckfillets at the makro, better than beef.

I thought they tasted like lime or lemon? Are these the same anteggs the aboriginals eat?

If you're tired of thai beef buy frozen duckfillets at the makro, better than beef.

The lime/lemon flavour is from the ants themselves. Sometimes some ants are left in with the eggs for the flavour.

Yeah, they're yummy.

QUOTE;------ "mixed with Onions,Red onions,Spring Onions,Coriander,Hot Chillies,Fish Sauce,Lime Juice,and Sugar."

And in there somewhere is some ants eggs at Bt500/Kilo.Those eggs must taste delicious

Just a thought really but----- what would that lot taste like without the ant-eggs ????????????

And what would be the cost without the Bt500 /kilo??????? bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif UNBELIEVABLE

My gf makes a wicked good ant egg salad. Brought a Singapore friend up for a visit at songkran last month and he really got into it, thought I suspect the several preceding whisky+sodas had weakened his defenses (or judgement). He was, however, a little shocked when a live winged ant emerged from the main bowl seeming none the worse for wear...

post-141091-0-32016400-1462507287_thumb.

Mrs Bra has been enjoying these ant eggs the last few days in Isan. Unfortunately I am in Australia now and have to put up with pie floaters at the footy.

You poor soul. Try flooding your pie with fish sauce, Thai's love the taste of it, and apparently the awful smell. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifwhistling.gif

Sounds good but how are they cooked

Sounds good but how are they cooked

Duckfillet you score the skin with a sharp knife. Then pepper and salt and fry in a pan on the skinside first. The skin will become crispy and you can eat it medium or well done.

You poor soul. Try flooding your pie with fish sauce, Thai's love the taste of it, and apparently the awful smell. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifwhistling.gif

Nothing wrong with nam pla or prik nam pla. I've never seen a Thai "flood" anything with it, so that may be the problem if you've been doing that. A lot of overly delicate farang can't handle durian either.

I guess they're hooked on McDonald's or things like deep-fried twinkies, spotted dick and toad it the hole.

Kind of like caviar, isn't it. I've made many good meals from salmon eggs bought on the cheap at Ameyokocho, which used to be the old blackmarket area in Tokyo. Rice, salmon eggs, tofu and wakame (seaweed) cooked in a miso broth. A great cold weather meal!

I have eaten the ant eggs soup, maybe it was just everything else in it that made it good but I really liked it. It kind of reminded me of Campbells Beef Barley Soup.

Except, the Campbell's soup, notorious for exceptionally high sodium levels, most likely had less sodium, sugar, trans and saturated fat, and contaminants than the Thai soup you consumed. Campbell's at least has hygiene and quality standards, something which I believe the Thai domestic food and hospitality industry could learn from.