sriracha john

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Seems the entire Clan has an entire Bag Of Excuses:

The new deadline is July 26. The same extension was allowed Yingluck Shinawatra and Pensom Damapong. Their lawyers asked for a postponement, saying their clients had urgent business abroad. Even though Potjaman had not cooperated with the ASC, she had provided proof in the form of a medical certificate that she was not well enough to appear as required. The ASC also agreed to allow her son Panthongtae to postpone a meeting for questioning over the transaction to July 18. His lawyer yesterday produced a medical certificate stating he fell ill from food poisoning on June 26 and was being treated in hospital. Pinthongta, the daughter, also sought to postpone her meeting with investigators until Aug 24, saying she was preparing for examinations, said Mr Sak.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Jun2007_news02.php

=============================================

They are spitting in Thailand's eye.

Seems the entire Clan has an entire Bag Of Excuses:

The new deadline is July 26. The same extension was allowed Yingluck Shinawatra and Pensom Damapong. Their lawyers asked for a postponement, saying their clients had urgent business abroad. Even though Potjaman had not cooperated with the ASC, she had provided proof in the form of a medical certificate that she was not well enough to appear as required. The ASC also agreed to allow her son Panthongtae to postpone a meeting for questioning over the transaction to July 18. His lawyer yesterday produced a medical certificate stating he fell ill from food poisoning on June 26 and was being treated in hospital. Pinthongta, the daughter, also sought to postpone her meeting with investigators until Aug 24, saying she was preparing for examinations, said Mr Sak.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/28Jun2007_news02.php

=============================================

They are spitting in Thailand's eye.

Hey I wonder if Panthongtae got sick from the same Somtam that killed the Swedish guy. Yeah, that sounds like this idea has legs. Let's run with it. Advise his defense counsel immediately.

Justice Minister confident the Supreme Court will accept ex-PM case on land deal

Justice Minister Charnchai Likhitjitta believes the Supreme Court would accept the charges against deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra by the Assets Examination Committee (AEC).

Mr. Charnchai spoke about the deposed Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s address for sending the court summons on the land deal of Ratchadapisek case that is no barrier for the court procedure.

He says the Supreme Court regulations stated that the government prosecutor could specify the actual address of the defendant if the defendant could not present in court. He views that the Supreme Court would accept the filing of the charges of deposed Prime Minister Thaksin.

The Justice Minister further commented that the former PM’s address at Charunsanitwong 69 is legitimate, although the defendant declares moving out from the resident. The officials will have to look for the deposed Prime Minister after the issuance of arrest warrant.

- ThaiNews

p30227.jpg

The Soon-To-Be Defendants

AEC tightens noose, requires Thaksin addresses by July 4

BANGKOK - Chief Prosecutor Seksan Bangsomboon, responsible for carrying out the leveling of corruption charges against Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife on their purchase of land here, has urgently and officially requested several agencies to locate the couple by Wednesday.

A spokesman of the Attorney General Office said Mr. Seksan had on Wednesday sent official letters to Thai ambassador to England, the permanent secretary of the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the National Police Bureau and the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) to determine their actual domiciles overseas and to determine whether or not they owned the properties.

The AEC must submit information regarding the queries to the prosecutors before July 9, the spokesman said.

Mr. Thaksin has been living in self-imposed exile, mainly in England, since his government was ousted in a bloodless coup last September 19. His wife Pojaman is in hospital in Singapore.

Touching on the possibility of requesting the British government to extradite Mr. Thaksin to stand trial in Thailand, the spokesman said Thailand did not have such a treaty with Britain but that a request could be made through diplomatic channels if the prosecutor decided to formally charge him.

On June 21, government prosecutors filed corruption charges against the couple in the Supreme Court, the first time criminal charges have ever been filed against a former premier in the kingdom.

The Office of the Attorney General's working group ruled that the Bangkok land on Ratchadapisek Road, which changed hands from the Financial Institutions Development Fund to Mr. Thaksin's wife, could have raised as much as Bt2.1 billion in terms of then current property market levels, but eventually sold for only Bt772 million, only one-third of the market value when the purchase was made.

In addition, the Office of the Attorney General suggested the 33 rai (five-hectare or 13-acre) parcel of controversial land be confiscated at the order of the Supreme Court.

The AEC, which had investigated and subsequently lodged malfeasance charges against Mr. Thaksin and his wife with the Office of Attorney-General, had earlier said the Ratchadapisek land could have earned twice as much again as the panel had calculated, or more than Bt4 billion.

The couple are charged of breaching anti-corruption laws, which bars state officials and their spouses from doing business with a state agency. If convicted, they face imprisonment of up to three years and a fine of up to Bt60,000, plus a maximum of 10 years in jail and a maximum Bt20,000 fine for malfeasance under the Criminal Procedures Code.

- MCOT

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin's lawyer: Extradition bid 'will fail'

Noppadon believes govt will not succeed

The government's bid to seek the extradition of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from England is politically motivated and will not succeed, his lawyer Noppadon Pattama said yesterday. Mr Noppadon also slammed the government's attempt to trace Mr Thaksin's money trail and its apparent intention to speed up prosecution of the deposed prime minister. He said if and when an extradition request is lodged, Mr Thaksin will explain to the British government that he is the victim of a politically-motivated ploy to land him in trouble with the law. Mr Thaksin faces the prospect of an indictment on charges related to the Ratchadaphisek land purchase in which he was accused of using his office while he was prime minister to help his wife, Potjaman, win the 772-million-baht deal.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/01Jul2007_news09.php

Thaksin's lawyers threaten AEC with lawsuit if probe's results made public

Lawyers for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra Tuesday threatened legal action if the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) discloses a report of its investigation into the controversial Ratchadaphisek land purchase.

AEC subcommittee chairman Udom Fuangfung said he would reveal the contents of the investigation to demonstrate there had been no harassment, especially of Thaksin.

He was surprised Thaksin's lawyer Pichit Chuenban opposed the move saying no party associated with the case would suffer damage because of it. Pichit argued disclosure could be prejudicial to the case.

"There is no law that bans us from publicly revealing the investigation file. [The defence] should welcome the move because it can use the information in court," Udom said.

"I do not understand what they are afraid of or why they fear the truth being revealed,'' he said.

- The Nation

This case seems to be the most clear. She bought it, he approved it and the law says that they, because of his government position, were prohibited from doing that. They and their lawyers do not want the public, here and in England, to get this easy to understand information of apparent corruption and guilt.

Thaksin's lawyer: Extradition bid 'will fail'

Noppadon believes govt will not succeed

The government's bid to seek the extradition of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra from England is politically motivated and will not succeed, his lawyer Noppadon Pattama said yesterday. Mr Noppadon also slammed the government's attempt to trace Mr Thaksin's money trail and its apparent intention to speed up prosecution of the deposed prime minister. He said if and when an extradition request is lodged, Mr Thaksin will explain to the British government that he is the victim of a politically-motivated ploy to land him in trouble with the law. Mr Thaksin faces the prospect of an indictment on charges related to the Ratchadaphisek land purchase in which he was accused of using his office while he was prime minister to help his wife, Potjaman, win the 772-million-baht deal.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/01Jul2007_news09.php

Mr. Thaksin may find he actually has to explain to a British court rather than the government although this interesting slip of the tongue may show more about how his regime oversaw the legal system when in power. Oh sorry I forgot there was no legal system then. They just offed anyone they didnt like.

July 1, 2007 : Last updated 12:51 pm

Lawyers for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra Tuesday threatened legal action if the Assets Examination Committee (AEC) discloses a report of its investigation into the controversial Ratchadaphisek land purchase.

AEC subcommittee chairman Udom Fuangfung said he would reveal the contents of the investigation to demonstrate there had been no harassment, especially of Thaksin.

He was surprised Thaksin's lawyer Pichit Chuenban opposed the move saying no party associated with the case would suffer damage because of it. Pichit argued disclosure could be prejudicial to the case.

"There is no law that bans us from publicly revealing the investigation file. [The defence] should welcome the move because it can use the information in court," Udom said.

"I do not understand what they are afraid of or why they fear the truth being revealed,'' he said.

The Nation

"I do not understand what they are afraid of or why they fear the truth being revealed,'' he said.,

isn't the best of signs .........................

July 1, 2007 : Last updated 12:51 pm

The Nation

"I do not understand what they are afraid of or why they fear the truth being revealed,'' he said.,

isn't the best of signs .........................

not for Mr. Thaksin but it could be for the country

If I were to guess I think this may expose his core method of operation and may make it difficult for him to do this in the future. Other than that I can’t at the moment see any other reason to fear exposure of this information. If that is they case and if he has other wheeling and dealings going on in other places, it would tell them where to look and how he operated. Thaksin being a creature of habit I am sure it has taken him a long time to prefect this method. It sounds like this may be one of the skeletons in Thaksin’s closet.

If I were to guess I think this may expose his core method of operation and may make it difficult for him to do this in the future. Other than that I can’t at the moment see any other reason to fear exposure of this information. If that is they case and if he has other wheeling and dealings going on in other places, it would tell them where to look and how he operated. Thaksin being a creature of habit I am sure it has taken him a long time to prefect this method. It sounds like this may be one of the skeletons in Thaksin’s closet.

The easy to understand cases are potentially the most damaging for Mr. Thaksin. Many financial crimes are extremely difficult for the average guy to follow and just sound like normal business practice. However this one is very simple and easy for anyone to understand. He obviously does not want the state case in the public domain because it will be detrimiental to his image not just in the business community but also with the average guy. In that there comes the justification for the coup. One obvious and straightforward case is all that was ever needed. Then all the accusations about "important people" and "hidden agendas" and "anti-poor" are surpassed by well a corrupt PM was thrown out by the military (again). It needs to be remembered that after the coup backing was quickly received leading to many ordinary people to think well we benefitted off of Mr. T but with what we now see maybe he was up to no good down in Bangkok and had to go. One nice simple case completes this idea. Is this case the one? I dont know. I get bored following them all, but Mr. Thaksins reaction would seem to indicate he is very concerned about it.

The easy to understand cases are potentially the most damaging for Mr. Thaksin. Many financial crimes are extremely difficult for the average guy to follow and just sound like normal business practice. However this one is very simple and easy for anyone to understand. He obviously does not want the state case in the public domain because it will be detrimiental to his image not just in the business community but also with the average guy. In that there comes the justification for the coup. One obvious and straightforward case is all that was ever needed. Then all the accusations about "important people" and "hidden agendas" and "anti-poor" are surpassed by well a corrupt PM was thrown out by the military (again). It needs to be remembered that after the coup backing was quickly received leading to many ordinary people to think well we benefitted off of Mr. T but with what we now see maybe he was up to no good down in Bangkok and had to go. One nice simple case completes this idea. Is this case the one? I dont know. I get bored following them all, but Mr. Thaksins reaction would seem to indicate he is very concerned about it.

That is exactly why I thought this was worth talking about. I am no expert in accounting and that is why I hire an accountant to do my books. However as non issue as this sounds to the average guy, this seems to be hitting a major nerve with Thaksin.

I think it is fair to say he has screwed with everyone he has had dealings with and perhaps some don’t even know it yet. Seeing as this seemed to come out of the blue I must admit it has me curious as to why Thaksin is so upset. I can’t even imagine a worse case scenario unless he has messed with some nasty people who may want to pay him a visit wherever he is and collect.

When exactly are the details of this case going to be made public? That will be an interesting day.

I wonder just how much of these cases will be made public.

With Mr. Thaksin's lawyers trying to stop the release of any details of the case we can probably assume that it could be something interesting.

Lawyer says deposed Thai premier ready to fight extradition

Bangkok - Thailand's deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra is ready to fight any attempt by the Thai government to have him extradited from England, his lead lawyer said Tuesday.

"If they want to extradite him it's not going to be easy," warned Thaksin's lawyer and spokesman Noppodon Pattama, who was in London two days ago where he allegedly met with members of the Queen's Counsel - Britain's appointed barristers - to discuss a possible extradition request by Thailand.

"The Queen's Counsel assured me that we could fight an extradition case," Noppodon told a press conference in Bangkok. "Everyone knows that his is not a criminal corruption case but a political case."

Since being toppled by a military coup on September 19 on charges of corruption and dividing the nation, Thaksin has been living in self-exile, chiefly in London where he holds several homes and may soon be the owner of the Manchester City football club.

Noppodon on Tuesday made it clear that Thaksin and his wife would also intended to miss the June 26 deadline, making an extradition case more likely.

"Thaksin will not come back to Thailand until the justice system is back to normal," said Noppodon, who added, "He will not come back until after a clean and transparent election has been held."

The lawyer added that Thaksin's wife Potjaman, who ran his business empire while he was premier between 2001 to 2006, would also stay away from Thailand, presumably residing in Singapore.

Thaksin is in the process of finalizing a 81.6-million-pound (169-million-dollar) purchase of England's Manchester City football club.

Thai media have speculated that the purchase of the financially struggling team was timed to enhance Thaksin's chances of avoiding extradition from Britain, should Thai authorities push for it.

- DPA

================================================

Now that we have heard what Noppadope says the Queen's Counsel has said, it'll be interesting to hear what the Queen's Counsel has really said.

Noppodon on Tuesday made it clear that Thaksin and his wife would also intended to miss the June 26 deadline, making an extradition case more likely.

- DPA

DPA has corrected the date in the above article to July 26, the new must-return-by date established by the DSI.

Thaksin close to Man City buy-out

Thaksin Shinawatra could complete his Manchester City takeover and install Sven-Goran Eriksson as boss on Wednesday, BBC Sport understands.

City officials are hopeful the former Thailand prime minister will have the 75% share of the club he needs to take control within the next 24 hours.

Former England coach Eriksson will then formally sign the three-year contract he has already agreed in principle.

Thaksin has currently bought up a 65.78% share in the Premiership club.

Earlier in June, he lodged an £81.6m takeover bid for City through his company UK Sports Investments.

The Eastlands board has backed the bid but there have been concerns about the source of the money, with Thaksin facing corruption charges in Thailand.

But the man who brokered the City deal has said "the money is clean".

On Sunday, Keith Harris, executive chairman of Seymour Pierce Investment Bank, said the money had been "legitimately and transparently transferred to the UK".

Thaksin will have to pass the Premier League's standard "fit and proper person" test before being able to complete the proposed takeover.

Thai prosecutors recently filed corruption charges against Thaksin. They have also frozen his assets but Thaksin insisted this would have no effect on his takeover of the club and that the charges were politically motivated by the military installed government that replaced him.

The new shares are believed to be from broadcaster Sky as they are the only major shareholder remaining after Thaksin received a 55.9% stake following pledges from board members and former chairman Francis Lee.

He is now getting nearer to the 75% ownership mark where he can de-list the company and take it into private ownership.

- BBC

Interpol asked to find Thaksin's new address

Help has been sought from Interpol to find the whereabouts of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, National police chief General Seripisut Temiyavej said yesterday.

Seripisut was acting at the request of public prosecutors, who need to give Thaksin' permanent address to the court for the indictment relating to the Ratchadapisek land purchase. He said he has yet to get a report back from Interpol on Thaksin's regular place of abode.

But AEC member Udom Fuangfung said he would submit a document to the Supreme Court today stating the permanent addresses of Thaksin and his wife as Bang Plad and Dusit districts, respectively, in Bangkok. That

information comes from homes registered in their names.

Udom will also ask chiefs of Bang Plad and Dusit districts to testify in the court that the Shinawatras have not changed their house registration.

- The Nation

- DPA

DPA has corrected the date in the above article to July 26, the new must-return-by date established by the DSI.

July 26? The deadline will surely put a dampener on his birthday celebrations.

- DPA

July 26? The deadline will surely put a dampener on his birthday celebrations.

Good catch.... I hadn't realized....

but perhaps Surayud (referred to as a slow turtle sometimes) had this in mind for Thaksin....

happy_birthday_afterwards.gif

Prosecutor submits Thaksin, wife addresses to court

BANGKOK – A Thai prosecutor submitted the addresses of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman to the Supreme Court Monday morning, one day before the court is scheduled to announce whether or not it will accept the land purchase case for deliberation.

The addresses will enable the Thai authorities to officially summon the couple to face court action.

Chief Prosecutor Seksan Bangsomboon submitted an official letter with the addresses of Mr. Thaksin and his wife as the first and second defendants in the Ratchadapisek land purchase scandal in the capital.

The letter stated that the former prime minister has residences in both Beijing and London, while his wife is now hospitalised in Singapore for heart irregularities.

Mr. Seksan said the addresses were acquired through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs as requested earlier by the court.

"At this stage, we are confident given evidence presented by the Assets Examination Commitee. The next step is awaiting for the court's decision whether to accept the case," he added.

Last month, prosecutors filed corruption charges against Mr. Thaksin and his wife in the Supreme Court, the first time criminal charges have ever been filed against a former premier in the kingdom. The charges involve a Bt772 million land purchase, following a finding by a working committee that Mr. Thaksin and his wife were guilty as alleged in charges earlier lodged by the Assets Examination Committee (AEC).

The Office of the Attorney General's working group ruled that the Bangkok land on Ratchadapisek

Road, which changed hands from the Financial Institutions Development Fund to Mr. Thaksin's wife,

could have realised as much as Bt2.1 billion in terms of then current property market levels, but

eventually sold for only Bt772 million, only one-third of the market value when the purchase was made.

In addition, the Office of the Attorney General suggested the 33 rai (five-hectare or 13-acre) parcel

of controversial land be confiscated at the order of the Supreme Court.

The AEC, which had investigated and subsequently lodged malfeasance charges against Mr. Thaksin

and his wife with the Office of Attorney-General, had earlier said the Ratchadapisek land could have

earned twice as much again as the panel had calculated, or more than Bt4 billion.

Chief Prosecutor Seksan said the prosecution asked the Supreme Court to subpoena the former prime

minister, who remains in self-exile overseas following last year's coup, as well as his wife, to return to

Bangkok to stand trial on charges of abusing power and dereliction of duty.

The couple are charged of breaching anti-corruption laws, which bars state officials and their spouses

from doing business with a state agency.

If convicted, they face imprisonment of up to three years and a fine of up to Bt60,000, plus a maximum of 10 years in jail and a maximum Bt20,000 fine for malfeasance.

- MCOT

Court told of Thaksin's whereabouts overseas

The Attorney-General's Office on Monday has informed the Supreme Court about the current overseas whereabouts of former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra and his wife Pojaman in relation to the corruption case involving the controversial Ratchadapisek land purchase.

The Supreme Court's Criminal Division for Political Office Holders will decide tomorrow (July 10) whether to accept the case.

The public prosecutors also have submitted documents from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirming Thaksin's residence at 55 Park Lane in London, the United Kingdom, and Prime Village Resort and Country Club in Beijing, China. Meanwhile, his wife Pojaman has been staying at the Raffles Hospital in Singapore from June 26 to July 6.

However, the Shinawatra couple is still registered as residents of their Chan Song La house in Soi Charansanitwong 69 of Bangkok's Bang Phlat district.

- The Nation

Pojaman has been staying at the Raffles Hospital in Singapore from June 26 to July 6.

How many times did her caring husband visit her at the hospital? :o

Seems the family and entourage are all suffering from hypochondria.

Edited by Tony Clifton