Exhaust changes

Heard a strange one today.

Friend was telling that his friend was stopped at one of the usual road blocks, showed license etc and was about to leave when another BIB appeared and told him that because he had fitted an exhaust that has two outlets at the back, not noisy, it was a change to the vehicle and illegal. Split exhaust with one at each back corner. ( SportRider )

Paid a 200 baht 'fine' and went on his way.

Anyone can tell me if this an offence or is it one of these strange changes that have to be notified to whoever????

Edited by overherebc

It's illegal to modify your car and motorcycle in Thailand.

For cars it's rarely enforced though, except for exhausts. If it doesn't look OEM they will give you a fine.

The shop I operate in Kalasin has stopped selling exhausts because of this.

For motorcycles they check exhausts and other parts.

It's illegal to modify your car and motorcycle in Thailand.

For cars it's rarely enforced though, except for exhausts. If it doesn't look OEM they will give you a fine.

The shop I operate in Kalasin has stopped selling exhausts because of this.

For motorcycles they check exhausts and other parts.

I was talking to the guy, who told me this story, he's doing some work on my old car that's 41 years old and I brought up the idea of the split system which would look good on it.

It just made me think about doing it.

Not sure if the BIB would realise it's not the original design.

The car won't be used for day to day driving so might not be a problem.

Still thinking.

Stopped at check point in my RX8, split, very loud exaust, coasted to the check point, after checking my documents another boy in brown came and asked me to pull over to the side, wittered on in Thai to my TGF, who replied to him, he brought the car from England when he came here, original, not modified. The boy in brown, pips on his shoulder waved me on.

No problem.

For most of older cars you can't get any OEM exhaust parts anymore. Doesn't matter if is Japanese or some kind of classics. So there are only universal local made mufflers & exhaust parts available.

Actually i drive classic cars since 20 years, here in TH. Never had any problem about modified exhaust systems. Just not provoke it.

Stopped at check point in my RX8, split, very loud exaust, coasted to the check point, after checking my documents another boy in brown came and asked me to pull over to the side, wittered on in Thai to my TGF, who replied to him, he brought the car from England when he came here, original, not modified. The boy in brown, pips on his shoulder waved me on.

No problem.

That will do for me. No intention to make it noisy just look the part.

No problem.

You imported an RX8 rotary turd nugget? What did that cost you, lol..