Bkk Safety Tips?

emilmh

Hi, just after some quick safety tips when travelling in bkk or thailand in general and dealing with taxi/tuk tuk drivers. Im only 22 and built like a stick and with white skin will look like the obvious tourist. Im also travelling with my sister who's 23 and no more intimidating!

I was in thailand last christmas with my whole family but being a group of six i think ppl were more scared of us, so yeah now that im back with just my sister and i, are there any tips for safety? I'm mainly thinking of instances with tuk-tuk drivers or cabbies, cos they seem to want to scam you all the time which annoys me and gets on my nerves! Im just dont know how they would react if they got offended? (although I aim to never offend someone) could they eaily become violent? or would they just not care and move on to the next tourist? Last time i was there i had a great time, but a few times we got scammed/ripped off/ taken for tours we didnt want etc

Thanks

Hi, just after some quick safety tips when travelling in bkk or thailand in general and dealing with taxi/tuk tuk drivers. Im only 22 and built like a stick and with white skin will look like the obvious tourist. Im also travelling with my sister who's 23 and no more intimidating!

I was in thailand last christmas with my whole family but being a group of six i think ppl were more scared of us, so yeah now that im back with just my sister and i, are there any tips for safety? I'm mainly thinking of instances with tuk-tuk drivers or cabbies, cos they seem to want to scam you all the time which annoys me and gets on my nerves! Im just dont know how they would react if they got offended? (although I aim to never offend someone) could they eaily become violent? or would they just not care and move on to the next tourist? Last time i was there i had a great time, but a few times we got scammed/ripped off/ taken for tours we didnt want etc

Thanks

I think you are worrying for nothing. I don't take tuk-tuks for safety reasons, especially since there are so many taxi's available. Recently, it was advised that if you are going to get in a taxi, get in one away from a tourist attraction or hotel. Excellent advice, although if you are near your hotel you can have one of the hotel employees hail you a cab and tell them you want one with a meter and have him tell the driver in Thai your destination. Don't get offended if a cabby doesn't want to take you on as a customer or doesn't want to use his meter, as it is their loss not yours. They drive away empty. These things are expected and happen to us locals as well. When this happens to me, and I speak some Thai, I smile, walk on a bit and wait for another taxi.

On scams, tours etc., check out where you want to go first and then refuse to go anywhere else. Make the type of decisions you would if you were not on vacation, but were in your hometown. These kind of scams exist in many cities around the world. Also, never, ever agree to have someone take you to buy jewelry. These scams are very expensive.

Enjoy your time here.

Em - try not to worry too much about getting scammed. Ignoring them and not engagding in a conversation is the easiest way to get rid of them. As for offending them, they have pretty thick skin and will get knocked back at numerous times in the day. There are more important things too worry about, like having a good time.

I did take my brother in a tuk-tuk, purely for the bkk experience when he was here. We ended up going down backwards down a one way street. Yes, I know it was stupid Dad :o

Try to avoid scams. Don't talk to strangers, especially if they initiate conversation. No matter how friendly they are, Thais have no business talking to you. They never impose themselves on anybody. Making friends on the street is not a Thai culture.

Like on the Internet, they exchange security sertificates before starting a conversation with strangers, and since you don't have one (Thai issue), they shouldn't be bothering you at all.

I wasn't aware that there were taxis who refuse to use the meter, though they might refuse to go to certain areas for numerous reasons - end of shift, bad traffic, etc. Thais usually open the rear door and ask the driver if it looks like a difficult trip. Meter has never been an issue for me.

At night stay in the areas you know, and try not to attract attention. If you get lost try to look like you need help rather than half drunk westerner looking for some fun.

If you drink with Thais, especially from the lower classes, beware of mood swings and watch your mouth. There's a number of sensitive subjects and the rule of thumb is to avoid them. The price of simple misunderstanding could be very high.

Only safety equipment you need is make sure you have condoms on you at all times. (i mean in your pocket)

Keeping them in your pocket at all times probably won't help that much.

Girls, if you have already been to Bangkok once before, most of the surprise factor will already be over.

One golden rule, if you don't feel 100% safe, walk away..... you may be wrong, but it's better than going along and being right.

Try to avoid scams. Don't talk to strangers, especially if they initiate conversation. No matter how friendly they are, Thais have no business talking to you. They never impose themselves on anybody. Making friends on the street is not a Thai culture.

This is sound advice in general but don't take it too literally. I've seen overly paranoid westerners being actually quite rude to Thai people who are just trying to be friendly with them. I've had many conversations with Thai strangers in supermarkets, in the street, on trains & buses, etc. so to say it never happens isn't quite accurate. What you need to be wary of is Thai people who do this near major tourist attractions, in this case they may well be trying to coerce you into some kind of scam.

Hire a S.W.A.T. team (no more than 3 or 4 guys), get yourself a handgun and an AK47, a bulletproof vest would be a good ideea also. Follow these steps, don't EVER get out of your room and you'll be safe :o

• 3 weeks later...

dont ever look lost in a place which you never have been to,believe me it helps..

ive once been above lat phrao ,with no indication neither a phone that works,and it was getting late..

i tryed to act like ive needed help and found myself with a bunch of ''guys'' looking at me like i was E.T and all laughing at the same time walking at me ..euuh it's better to avoid those kind of situations

PS: alwayz usefull to have a knife on you ,but that would not mean just in thailand of course :o

dont ever look lost in a place which you never have been to,believe me it helps..

ive once been above lat phrao ,with no indication neither a phone that works,and it was getting late..

i tryed to act like ive needed help and found myself with a bunch of ''guys'' looking at me like i was E.T and all laughing at the same time walking at me ..euuh it's better to avoid those kind of situations

PS: alwayz usefull to have a knife on you ,but that would not mean just in thailand of course :o

PS: alwayz usefull to have a knife on you ,but that would not mean just in thailand of course :D

alwayz usefull to have a knife on you

After reading posts on TV since day one almost, this has to be the most stupid suggestion/comment that I have ever read on the forum.

Were you a bover boy before you came here :D

You weren't an english teacher that is for certain :o

Edited by john b good

I've only been to Pattaya twice so cant really offer much but for what its worth

Just use your common sense, dont worry too much about things otherwise it will ruin your time in BKK, greet thais with a warm smile and walk past if your not interested, never used a tuk tuk cos never seen one, only used taxi mopeds in Patts and they were fine, or the Baht bus. If you do negotiate prices on anything, a huge smile I found helps

Its probably no more dangerous than any large city in UK (not sure where your from) or Europe for that matter, if you dont go looking for trouble it wont come looking for you. I'm sure in BKK theres a million pale skinned touristy types (me included sometimes) wandering round so just use your common sense, it something doesnt quite feel right, it probably isnt.

And I'm sure your bright enough to not carry a knife on you, if you do and get a hiding or worse, then its most likely deserved :o

Short answer:

No worries about safety.

Long answer:

For a tourist, not involved in any of BKK internals, BKK is as safe as a kindergarten.

A scam here and there, for the tourists, other members have signaled that.

Some members have joked (as personal safety is not an issue in Thailand, under any stretch of normal circumstances).

General safety is very high. From all the countries I have lived in, Thailand comes a notch below Japan and Singapore.

Don't worry, feel safe because you are safe and enjoy your holiday in Thailand.

Don't listen to these fools--the rainy season is over, you don't have to wear condoms anymore!

I have seldom had trouble with taxi drivers and almost never with Tuk-tuk drivers. Actually, once you negotiate the price with the tuk-tuk driver it's a done deal. It's been years since I've had trouble with a taxi driver, but, I usually ask them to stop, pay them and get out. Sometimes I point at a bar or restaurant like I want to go there just to make sure there is no hard feelings.

A very good option is to take buses. They are really inexpensive and if you get within sniffing distance of your location, then catch a taxi or tuk-tuk. You can save a lot of money and there isn't any hassle.

I usually don't like taxi's because I don't like talking to the driver. I don't really trust them. I know that most of the time they are just being friendly, but I don't like saying anything. I never have that problem on a bus.

Some things to remember--All major tourist attractions are ALWAYS closed on the day you are visiting, but they all know a better place to take you.

Good luck and have an good holiday!

Thanks

Hi.

Use your common sense.

Always try to gain as much info as possible about the place you go to.

Spend a few hours reading some of the vast info you can find on this site.

A lot of so called experts here.

But in all honesty, many are experts compare to some of us.

By the way,

please don't be offended, but you seem very nervous regarding this.

Maybe you should consider traveling to a place where you don't have to "thing too mutt".

Your vacation will not be 100% successful if you worry about too many things.

rgds

Sailor

I really hope this was a joke. Pull a knife in Thailand and you will go straight to hospital, if you are lucky.

Personally I dont hail any cabs or tuk tuks, too much hassle. Not just Thailand but the world over, if I can help it of course.

There are some posts concerning grief from tuk tuk drivers on the Phuket forum. Is this a localised problem or does it have relevance for the whole of Thailand?