UK Visitors Visa for my wife's son

Hi All

How difficult is it to obtain a UK visitors Visa for my thai wifes Son.

Our issue is that we are not working, not on any benefits but have savings and my wife's son has just recently finished uni and he is looking for work, So it might a good opportunity for him to come to the UK for a short holiday during the summer maybe 6 weeks.

Any advice would be great

Malc

The usual rules apply!

Visiting family and tourism covers purpose of visit.

How is it going to be paid for? If he is as broke as most students are at the end of a degree course then he needs to show where the money is coming from. If you are paying then show bank statements etc to show you can afford to pay. Clarify accommodation and spending money in applicants covering letter and letter of invitation (not a bad idea).

The difficult one is to show reasons to return. If he has a job or postgraduate courses to go back to, this will help.

No real reason for rejection but think out the application carefully especially reasons to return!

Thank you for your reply.

The holiday will be paid by us and like you say, He has no money and at the moment he is looking for work, But regards the application, He will not be able to show any real reason for returning even though we know that he will return,.

Regards us, Yes we can show proof of savings with bank accounts etc but i dont want to get the wifes hopes up plus her sons if the application fails.

Like you say, a lot of thinking regards the application.

Malc

He has to show, with your help where necessary:

1. He has a genuine reason for the visit. Just graduated, wants to visit his mum in the UK for a holiday; seems genuine to me.
  2. The visit is affordable; from his resources, yours or both. Provide evidence that this is so.
  3. He will be adequately accommodated during the visit. Presumably staying with you, so a brief description of your home and who lives there to show there is room for him.
  4. He will leave the UK when or before his visa expires. University graduate, good character, good job prospects in Thailand; emphasise all this in your sponsor's letter and I think he wont have a problem.

See Standard visitor visa for details of how to apply etc.

You may also find UK visit visa basics helpful; even though it does need some updating.