Nominations for best farang restaurant/bar owner.....

KhonKaenKowboy

Basil at the Red Lion gets my vote. He's always friendly but knows when to give people their space and his beer prices, for stuff like Guinness, cider and real ales, are the cheapest in town. Like me, he doesn't like riffraff.

Walked past the Red Lion last night and it was absolutely packed (and this is low season). So he must be doing something right.

That`s because he`s right at the hard core of the Chiang Mai tourist district and has the only 100% Farlang English restaurant in the area. All the rest are either very expensive continental or the Dukes that is expensive and American. Could say that once the Dukes goes the Red Lion will have a monopoly on Farlang restaurants unless something similar springs up and I can`t see that happening. We have the Pub but that`s a little off the beaten track and mostly caters to regulars I think where as the Red Lion gets a steady flow of tourists, so it`s a gold mine, should be raking the money in.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basil at the Red Lion gets my vote. He's always friendly but knows when to give people their space and his beer prices, for stuff like Guinness, cider and real ales, are the cheapest in town. Like me, he doesn't like riffraff.

Walked past the Red Lion last night and it was absolutely packed (and this is low season). So he must be doing something right.

That`s because he`s right at the hard core of the Chiang Mai tourist district and has the only 100% Farlang English restaurant in the area. All the rest are either very expensive continental or the Dukes that is expensive and American. Could say that once the Dukes goes the Red Lion will have a monopoly on Farlang restaurants unless something similar springs up and I can`t see that happening. We have the Pub but that`s a little off the beaten track and mostly caters to regulars I think where as the Red Lion gets a steady flow of tourists, so it`s a gold mine, should be raking the money in.

I agree, and the Mcdonald's there does a booming business, too, but ti's still just Mcdonalds. That's the most valuable land in the North, according to some reports...worth more than the Beach Rd. in Pattaya. The reviews are consistently pretty good for Red Lion, but put them out in Hang Dong at "The Game's" vacant location, and their business would fall off a cliff. And that Irish place at the fish market...what's the name of it? They seem not to even care, anymore. The few that mistakenly go in, don't leave satisfied.

As far as "renovations" at the Club...a possibility. I would say that outdoor patio was the best ambiance I've seen in Nimman, They had trouble delivering cold beers...surely a curse of death. I used to try over the years to get some of the Kamrai regulars to support the promos in the area, which actually beat Kamrai ob price, and even had a restroom, but you can't pry those people off those plastic stools...That place's days may be numbered, as it is for lease.

The Red Lion is consistently good. It has a music policy which, whilst not at all bold, actually pleases pretty much every farang of every age group. It's got a wide range of beer and food. However, of course its location is a factor in its success. The more passing trade a pub can position itself for - the more trade it will have. Its rivals are not "expensive restaurants" most of the places down that road are relatively cheap Thai places with the Australian "Down Under" being its most direct competitor. Dukes doesn't even factor into it. Expensive American non-smoking restaurant vs. cheap and cheerful English pub - they aim to win over different audiences and by the general looks of things - they both succeed.

The Irish Pub in the market is a great example of how you can kill a business even when you have the position. The staff is consistently rude and unmotivated and the food is also regularly unacceptable in quality. It's paying for it though; the Thai European (with its excellent live music) is packed to the seams most nights - the Irish place is more and more empty; TripAdvisor to the rescue as it were.

Papa Rock surely has to be worth a mention for its pizzas, burgers and live music.

Yes, and especially in that location.

The Mrs. did comment dryly that the combined age of everyone in there would be above 1000 years, but it really is a fun and different place they got there.

Thanks, D2....yep, night and day vs. the Lion, and OM was quite popular several years ago. I think for a first time visitor; they would be satisfied with RL, and very dissatisfied with OM. Another case of what are these people thinking. I've met 30 year UAW veterans working for Chrysler that had a more customer service friendly attitude. Maybe they can make it work short term, but in the big picture it will be the end.

Not one mention of CM Saloon....has that place gone downhill?

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

Thanks, D2....yep, night and day vs. the Lion, and OM was quite popular several years ago. I think for a first time visitor; they would be satisfied with RL, and very dissatisfied with OM. Another case of what are these people thinking. I've met 30 year UAW veterans working for Chrysler that had a more customer service friendly attitude. Maybe they can make it work short term, but in the big picture it will be the end.

Not one mention of CM Saloon....has that place gone downhill?

gotta bring the 'ol USA into every topic 'eh?

Dukes...pretty much anytime.

UN Irish...pretty much never if food is a criteria.

I was under the impression both these places had the same owner, none of which are named Dave, who is allegedly only a manager of one.

I've been to CM Saloon 3 times, I think, every time it was perfectly acceptable but I think it's telling that it never comes up when we're thinking about "places to eat" either. It's very much OK and consistently so. I like the huge selection of condiments, friendly staff and a willingness to put things right when mistakes are made but it's not "must go" either.

The one I think that's been missed is the French owned "Le Bistrot" which, while a touch inconsistent, does do incredible steaks and cold meats. The owner has a ton of pride in his food but is struggling with (non-contagious) illness and if he's not about... things aren't quite as good as they can be.

the owner/farang at patio has had more than his share of complaints. You can go there on Saturday night; I can go to Club Cafe, every other night for about the same money. The more popular bars compete with 711 on pricing; nothing new here....it feeds on itself..the more they sell, the better pricing they get. Dayli must have had 100+ Friday night...all doing promos and drinking up...meanwhile...lots of nursing (without a nurse) and brooding at the farang places.

club café closed isn't it, Or are they doing some alterations.???

I walked by there earlier, and it looks like they were serving last night...unless the half full beers have been out there for days. I did notice the signage on the indoor portion has changed to "Mirror Cafe." So, yes, something seems to be transitioning.

the irish bar in the market caters mainly for farangs, Bit nicer place to eat out as well.

As an all rounder I give my vote to Rudi at Gecko. The booze is amazingly cheap and the food is good honest pub grub. The Thai food is even better than that. It is comfortable, the staff are lovey and most have been there for a long time and Rudi never talks politics.

Not exactly spoilt for choice are we in Chiang Mai. The UN Irish pub is miserable and the staff nasty, the Red Lion is designed for a steady flow of tourists, they’re not keen on regular customers hanging about too long in there, it’s order a meal, eat up and then move on to make room for the next customers. The continental restaurants in that area are also very touristy eat up and move on and expensive, The Dukes is usually filled with loud mouthed Americans in competition to see who can speak the loudest, The Pub is like a restaurant within a lost world, it’s dank, grey and musty. Dead cats hanging from the ceiling and skeletons attached to the walls wouldn’t look out of place in there. The rest are just run of the mill type eating places and nothing to write home about.

Are there any real authentic Indian and Chinese restaurants in Chiang Mai? Not meaning those Muslim type Pakistani crap cafes around the Night Bazaar area and the Chinese cafes run and owned by Thais, I mean the one’s like we have in Soho, London. I could kill for decent Indian madras curry with onion bhajis, pilau rice, nan bread and a decent pint of draft lager

Edited by cyberfarang

O'Malley's is in a great spot with great foreign beers on tap but it just has zero atmosphere,it's a typical Thai-staffed place where you walk through the door and they don't even look up from their iPhones never mind to say 'HI'!
A great shame but I never,ever stay for more than a pint because of it.I see someone's mentioned Mad Dog also,I would rather pour boiling water on my genitals than drink or eat anything in that place I think everyone knows why!

O'Malley's is in a great spot with great foreign beers on tap but it just has zero atmosphere,it's a typical Thai-staffed place where you walk through the door and they don't even look up from their iPhones never mind to say 'HI'!

A great shame but I never,ever stay for more than a pint because of it.I see someone's mentioned Mad Dog also,I would rather pour boiling water on my genitals than drink or eat anything in that place I think everyone knows why!

Not everyone, I don't know why.

Please do tell!

Not exactly spoilt for choice are we in Chiang Mai. The UN Irish pub is miserable and the staff nasty, the Red Lion is designed for a steady flow of tourists, they’re not keen on regular customers hanging about too long in there, it’s order a meal, eat up and then move on to make room for the next customers. The continental restaurants in that area are also very touristy eat up and move on and expensive, The Dukes is usually filled with loud mouthed Americans in competition to see who can speak the loudest, The Pub is like a restaurant within a lost world, it’s dank, grey and musty. Dead cats hanging from the ceiling and skeletons attached to the walls wouldn’t look out of place in there. The rest are just run of the mill type eating places and nothing to write home about.

Are there any real authentic Indian and Chinese restaurants in Chiang Mai? Not meaning those Muslim type Pakistani crap cafes around the Night Bazaar area and the Chinese cafes run and owned by Thais, I mean the one’s like we have in Soho, London. I could kill for decent Indian madras curry with onion bhajis, pilau rice, nan bread and a decent pint of draft lager

The Red Lion is only too happy to cater to regulars. The owner stops to talk with them. The staff remember their beers and they are fine with you drinking all night long. There is no need to eat a meal at all.

I tend to agree on the UN Irish Pub (except I find the staff quite nice there), The Pub (went once and never, ever again) and Dukes.

The best Chinese in town is the one in the Shangri-La Hotel, expensive but excellent Sichuan food.

Not found a good Indian restaurant possibly Al Reem but every time I go there - it's for the Arabic mixed grill.

:D

Don't hold back now.

It's hell I tell ya! ;)

On a serious note, what you describe is probably what the people behind The Game thought, too. Except they built it way out in San Dongistan.

yes, WTK, read my post...put the RL at the Games location and their business would fall off a cliff. Conversely, If the Game had taken the place of the RL, it could easily still be in business (although it wouldn't be mine), like their location on Sukhumvit....bland and boring sports bar, with nothing exceptional about it (except high prices), but if you were a first timer in BKK; you might give it a chance, while you're trying to figure out where NEP is.

As an all rounder I give my vote to Rudi at Gecko. The booze is amazingly cheap and the food is good honest pub grub. The Thai food is even better than that. It is comfortable, the staff are lovey and most have been there for a long time and Rudi never talks politics.

wow. i guess you don't get out too much.

got its good points,but please do something with them toilets.there not very nice.

yes, WTK, read my post...put the RL at the Games location and their business would fall off a cliff. Conversely, If the Game had taken the place of the RL, it could easily still be in business (although it wouldn't be mine), like their location on Sukhumvit....bland and boring sports bar, with nothing exceptional about it (except high prices), but if you were a first timer in BKK; you might give it a chance, while you're trying to figure out where NEP is.

Microsoft would go bust if it were located at the Game's location. It's primary objective wasn't to 'make' money.

I cannot agree with Cyberfarang regarding the Red Lion that Quote "they’re not keen on regular customers hanging about too long in there, it’s order a meal, eat up and then move on to make room for the next customers"

Yes it is geared to the tourist market but Red Lion has its own group of regulars (especially when sport is on) and I have never felt any pressure to either order food or drink up to make way for 'tourists'. The staff are very good and I always get a personal greeting and asked if I want my usual drinks.

I also notice that no one has mentioned the 'Welcome Inn' (ex Olde Bell) next to Raming Hotel on Loi Khroi. Scottish owner Andy makes you feel very welcome (when in country) as does his wife and the staff are very friendly and attentive. Good food & drinks at reasonable prices in a pleasant atmosphere. .

wow. i guess you don't get out too much.

I am allowed out every now and then and enjoy Chez Marcos, Khao Mao Khao Fang for it's fabulous ambience but not farang owned, Dukes every now and then for it's pizza and Riverside occasionally, both have which have both been barred from discussion. There are others but they also not farang owned.

So I will iterate that Gecko is a comfortable local.

Most places are crying out for an attentive manager who makes an effort to remember you and make you feel welcome. The only places mentioned so far who seem to do this are the Red Lion and Gecko.

I tend not to leave Nimman and haven't found anywhere well managed yet.

I have a soft spot for The Red Lion, yes it has a tourist clientele but given the location why wouldn't it?

Apart from their food being OK and the beer cold, it was one of the only places you could see a live football game in the early 90's, albeit if Liverpool were playing then that's the game Kevin had on.

biggrin.png

Don't hold back now.

It's hell I tell ya! wink.png

On a serious note, what you describe is probably what the people behind The Game thought, too. Except they built it way out in San Dongistan.

I have never had a crap meal at the Red Lion, the prices won`t break the bank and the staff are always pleasant. But at one time after I had finished my meal and paid my bill, I was politely nudged by a member of staff to leave my table if I had finished to make room for other customers. Not actually verbally but by a hand being placed on the back of my chair and the person`s head swinging to the left with a smile, so I got the hint. Giving credit it was very busy at the time and I took no offense. This is why I said the Red Lion is mostly geared up for tourists, but it may be different if the restaurant is not busy. And why I don`t mind eating at the Red Lion on occasions but not as a regular. All the rest the food isn`t bad either with variable bad to good service. Just would like to see some more choice with the big restaurants other then the one`s already mentioned.

"yes, WTK, read my post...put the RL at the Games location and their business would fall off a cliff. Conversely, If the Game had taken the place of the RL, it could easily still be in business (although it wouldn't be mine), like their location on Sukhumvit....bland and boring sports bar, with nothing exceptional about it (except high prices), but if you were a first timer in BKK; you might give it a chance, while you're trying to figure out where NEP is."

Nana Entertainment Plaza is purely for Tommy tourists and nothing else,the in-the-know people in Bangkok head for Soi 33/1 and the Robin Hood,Dubliner and best of the bunch the Royal Oak in little Tokyo! biggrin.png
The Kiwi/old Soi 8 bar is 100 times better than the Game or NEP BTW!

Francesca's at Mae Hia for Italian.

Kelly's Bistro at Meechok Plaza for breakfast.

Quite like Sausage King for breakfast too, nice environment also.

Accha or Taj Mahal for Indian (seeing as it was brought up).

Most of the Farang places I find quite underwhelming and I particularly dislike the so called 'pubs' that are more restaurants selling beer than a pub selling mostly beer but some food.

Too many of the Farang places I find seriously lacking in atmosphere, even the ones with bands with the sound cranked up so you can hear the constantly repeated repertoire above anything else. If the look of many of the places isn't off putting enough the smell of old cooking oil is sure to have an impact.

Try visiting some of these places outside of their busier times and you couldn't be blamed for thinking they were closed.

I pass on most unless I've no choice.

Posted via Tapatalk

Edited by SooKee