Retirement visa

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but was wondering can anyone help me.

I am currently in Thailand and my visa will expire after 3 weeks, I am 52 years old and would like to apply for the retirement visa, unfortunately I don't have the 800,000 baht in my account but I have heard I can still apply at the immigration in Jomtien, can anyone let me know if it's a straight forward process, whats required and do they do a criminal record check.

Thanks in advance for your replies and help

What visa do you currently have.

To apply for an extension of stay based on retirement (it is not a visa) you must

• have an entry gained from a non-"O" visa
  • meet the financial requirements for the extension.

If you are looking to convert an entry gained from a tourist visa to a non "O" entry the financial requirement must be met and you must have at least 15 days of your permission to stay remaining.

The finances can be met by

a. Having 800K in a Thai bank

OR

b. Having certified evidence of a monthly income of 65K

OR

c. A combination of a+b totaling 800K

• Like 1

• You cannot get a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement unless you can show 800K in a Thai bank for 60 days OR a certified (by your Embassy) income of 65K pm OR a combination of the two.

No criminal check.

Not sure what you heard about getting the visa and extension of stay based upon retirement at Jomtien without financial proof. It is not possible to do it without making a fraudulent application.

My current visa is the old version of the 3 x 60 day tourist visa,

I don't have at present 800,000 baht in my account

Someone told me I don't actually need to have this amount and I can still get the retirement visa

You have been misinformed or someone is suggesting you partake in fraudulent/illegal activity which will not be discussed here.

If you cannot meet the financial requirements then you cannot obtain an "O" visa entry or an extension of stay by any legal means.

• Like 1

Someone told me I don't actually need to have this amount and I can still get the retirement visa

Why not ask the guy who told you for more details? or get some free advise from a visa agent, there are plenty of them around

Where in Thailand are you? some immigration officers are more flexible

Why not ask the guy who told you for more details? or get some free advise from a visa agent, there are plenty of them around

Where in Thailand are you? some immigration officers are more flexible

It would seem the OP needs to 'convert' an entry gained from a tourist visa to an "O" visa entry. There are very few places were this can be done and there is no "flexibility"

It is a simple matter of qualifying for the conversion or not ............To qualify funds have to be demonstrated.

• Like 1

"If you cannot meet the financial requirements then you cannot obtain an "O" visa entry or an extension of stay by any legal means."

Is the underlined part really true?

It doesn't sound right to me, but I haven't had a visa in a couple of decades.

"If you cannot meet the financial requirements then you cannot obtain an "O" visa entry or an extension of stay by any legal means."

Is the underlined part really true?

It doesn't sound right to me, but I haven't had a visa in a couple of decades.

It is correct in the OP case where needs to do a conversion to obtain a 90 day non immigrant visa entry at immigration. To do it requires the same financial proof as an extension of stay. The only exception is that the money does not have to be in the bank for 60d ays.

It is also correct to obtain a non-o visa for being 50 over at many embassy and consulates. None of the nearby location will issue one without financial proof.

Hello,

I finally received my non-immigrant, O-A, MEV, from Thai embassy in Washington DC., issued May 16, 2016. I will move to Hua Hin in early June. Since it is already the MEV, may I travel to from other countries without asking permission? In other words, can I just hop over to Myanmar or Cambodia on a whim or must I visit immigration each and every out-of-country excursion?

By the way, thanks to all that have contributed to this forum over the years...I believe this is where my research started 2 years ago.

Walter

Hello,

I finally received my non-immigrant, O-A, MEV, from Thai embassy in Washington DC., issued May 16, 2016. I will move to Hua Hin in early June. Since it is already the MEV, may I travel to from other countries without asking permission? In other words, can I just hop over to Myanmar or Cambodia on a whim or must I visit immigration each and every out-of-country excursion?

By the way, thanks to all that have contributed to this forum over the years...I believe this is where my research started 2 years ago.

Walter

Up to May 16 2017 you can come and go as you want.

No need to tell anyone.

After that you need a re entry permit.

Edited by Eclipse

Hello,

Walter

• It's a multiple entry visa so yo can come and go as often as you want until the 'enter before' (15th May 2017) date printed on the visa. No permission required.
  • Each time you re-enter you'll be granted a new 1 year stay.