Non-Immigrant Visa Category “O-A” (Long Stay) - Use re-entry permit for extra 1yr of stay

I am applying for a O-A Visa (in UK)

As I understand that will then require me to report every 3 months to immigration (or do this online).

However I can exit the kingdom and return if I obtain a re-entry permit will be first (single 1,000 THB and multiple entry 3,800 THB).

Since the validity of the O-A visa is 12 months - Does this mean that when I exit and return the 12 months allowed to stay starts over again i.e The stay until date passport stamp is given for 12 months time?

Bottom line does this mean that exiting and re-entering back into the Kingdom on the last day of the the visa (valid until date) - Then this will effectively provide a total of 2 years from the date that the O-A visa was actually issued in the UK?

• All the time the visa is still valid (1 year from the issue date) you can exit and re-enter as often as you want. You don't need a re-entry permit because the visa is a multiple entry visa.

Yes, every time you enter you will be granted a new 1 year permit to stay.

If you make a final entry towards the end of the visas validity you will be granted a 1 year stay which does mean you will have had the best part of two years from the one visa.

During that final 1 year (last entry) you will need a re-entry permit whenever you leave the country, and when you return you'll be granted the remainder of the last 1 year permit to stay.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Thanks elviajero

Great response - And importantly - I did not realise that the visa Category O-A actually was already a multiple entry that would allow unlimited travel out/in within validity of the Visa.

I think I must be mixing this Visa up with the old "O" Visa (no longer available to many including me - since not married to a Thai or receiving a national pension).

Many years ago I had the "O" Visa and needed to leave the country every 90 days - I thought that the "O-A" was different in that you could not leave without a re-entry permit.

So Thanks again for the clarification.

You used to be able to obtain an O-A Single entry but I guess the MFA decided that they would make more money eliminating it and will now only issue O-A Multiples at a much higher fee

No one has to get an O/A visa if they wish to retire in Thailand.

The visa is a choice and there are other means of legally retiring in Thailand.

Hope you don't mind me tagging onto this thread with a question relating to my 1 year non-immigrant o-a multiple entry visa. It was issued on 2nd June 2015 and after my latest exit and return to Thailand my admitted until date is 20 Feb 2017. I thought I still had a couple of weeks up my sleeve to head over to Laos and return to give myself admission until June 2017, but based on what I've read here I would need to be back before 2nd June. This wouldn't be too difficult because I'm in Nong Khai, but if for any reason I'm unable to get back by 2nd June, am I stuffed because I don't have a re-entry permit?

The reason I thought I still had a couple of weeks is that I was basing my first 12 months ending from the date of first entry rather than the issued on date. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hope you don't mind me tagging onto this thread with a question relating to my 1 year non-immigrant o-a multiple entry visa. It was issued on 2nd June 2015 and after my latest exit and return to Thailand my admitted until date is 20 Feb 2017. I thought I still had a couple of weeks up my sleeve to head over to Laos and return to give myself admission until June 2017, but based on what I've read here I would need to be back before 2nd June. This wouldn't be too difficult because I'm in Nong Khai, but if for any reason I'm unable to get back by 2nd June, am I stuffed because I don't have a re-entry permit?

The reason I thought I still had a couple of weeks is that I was basing my first 12 months ending from the date of first entry rather than the issued on date. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

All visas run from the date of issue NOT the date of first use. You must use the visa on or before the June 2nd if you wish to secure another years stay or to use your words "you will be stuffed" with a 30 day visa exempt entry.

If you secure an entry on or before June 2 you WILL need a reentry permit for any travel outside Thailand during the second years stay.

Thanks johnatong, you've clarified what I needed to know. I think I'll sit tight on my current admitted to date in Feb next year. I'm glad I found out about the need for a re-entry permit after 2 Jun 2016, I am heading off to Cambodia on 21st and would have gone without, thinking it was business as usual. Am I right in assuming that if I get a multiple re-entry permit it will cover me thru to the current admitted to date in Feb 2017? Thanks again for your assistance.

Thanks johnatong, you've clarified what I needed to know. I think I'll sit tight on my current admitted to date in Feb next year. I'm glad I found out about the need for a re-entry permit after 2 Jun 2016, I am heading off to Cambodia on 21st and would have gone without, thinking it was business as usual. Am I right in assuming that if I get a multiple re-entry permit it will cover me thru to the current admitted to date in Feb 2017? Thanks again for your assistance.

The re-entry permit will allow you leave and re-enter until February of 2017.