Is it "wrong" to live in Pattaya and not be interested in Thai culture?

Jingthing

Yeah, good old intelligence.

My family is Thai and speaks Thai. My health care provider is Thai and speaks Thai. My banker is Thai and speaks Thai. My personal chef is Thai and speaks Thai. My maid is Thai and speaks Thai. My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai. My Mercedes maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai. My mia noi is Thai and speaks Thai. My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai. My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai. My masseuse is Thai and speaks Thai. My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai. I've lived in 28 different countries and tired of moving around and settled in Thailand. I speak Thai as any other sane person who lives in Thailand does.

I can afford servants, intelligent enough to speak English wherever I go.

Money trumps intelligence every time!

The servants are speaking Thai when they rip you off, plan the robberies and insult your person and you will never know. There is a big old Farang who has been hanging around Pattaya for years and the song tau drivers do annoying things to him every day and then go have drinks and laugh about who did what to him when he was trying to get a ride. If he spoke a little Thai and was polite it would have never started.

Intelligence always trumps money. We could both lose all of our money but I could come back in a NY minute because I'm smart and well adapted to Thailand.

When I got to Thailand the exchange rate was close to 50 baht to the dollar. It fell. Most of the expats moaned and went home. I got a job until the economy picked up again.

Some people just get picked on. They wouldn't be picking on me despite me not speaking Thai. Also, I wouldn't give a s**t what they're saying over beers after they finished work.

It sounds like you're a very sensitive guy who needs to feel you're respected. You're not respected here as much as you think you are, but don't let me spoil your picnic. You also brag about your intelligence quite a bit - that's not smart.biggrin.png

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is the point I was trying to make. If you live here in a western bubble, you probably wont get, or stay, married (or Girlfriend). Have a successful business or job. Or ever have a home cooked Thai meal.

To achieve a certain lifestyle here involves a level of engagement with Thai culture. A personal choice to live in the bubble, but you wont get beyond a "by the hour" girlfriend and spending your foriegn income on steaks and imported beer.

cheesy.gif

I live in my own personal bubble I've created here... I wouldn't have it any other way. It's a controlled environment of my own making. My wife lives in the same bubble and I do the cooking. biggrin.png

"When I got to Thailand the exchange rate was close to 50 baht to the dollar. It fell. Most of the expats moaned and went home. I got a job until the economy picked up again."

The big picture was Thailand grew at 9% a year from 85 to 96, the highest of any country (at that time). They had a "peg" to the dollar of 25 baht. Because they accumulated so much foreign debt, they ran out of reserves to make the payments. Thailand was broke. That's why the baht spiked up to 55.

The only people who left Thailand were the people working in finance, real estate, and construction:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_Asian_financial_crisis

For tourists and pensioners used to getting 25B/$ for decades getting 55, 45, 40, 35 even 30 baht is an improvement.

The people who were working during boom times knew good times would come to an end eventually.

If they were smart. May not be the sharpest tools in the sheds. Or perhaps their history precludes them working back home for more money, 555

Yeah, good old intelligence.

My family is Thai and speaks Thai. My health care provider is Thai and speaks Thai. My banker is Thai and speaks Thai. My personal chef is Thai and speaks Thai. My maid is Thai and speaks Thai. My gardener is Thai and speaks Thai. My Mercedes maintenance man is Thai and speaks Thai. My mia noi is Thai and speaks Thai. My swimming pool cleaner is Thai and speaks Thai. My tailor is Thai and speaks Thai. My masseuse is Thai and speaks Thai. My dog's veterinarian is Thai and speaks Thai. I've lived in 28 different countries and tired of moving around and settled in Thailand. I speak Thai as any other sane person who lives in Thailand does.

I can afford servants, intelligent enough to speak English wherever I go.

Money trumps intelligence every time!

The servants are speaking Thai when they rip you off, plan the robberies and insult your person and you will never know. There is a big old Farang who has been hanging around Pattaya for years and the song tau drivers do annoying things to him every day and then go have drinks and laugh about who did what to him when he was trying to get a ride. If he spoke a little Thai and was polite it would have never started.

Intelligence always trumps money. We could both lose all of our money but I could come back in a NY minute because I'm smart and well adapted to Thailand.

When I got to Thailand the exchange rate was close to 50 baht to the dollar. It fell. Most of the expats moaned and went home. I got a job until the economy picked up again.

Some people just get picked on. They wouldn't be picking on me despite me not speaking Thai. Also, I wouldn't give a s**t what they're saying over beers after they finished work.

It sounds like you're a very sensitive guy who needs to feel you're respected. You're not respected here as much as you think you are, but don't let me spoil your picnic. You also brag about your intelligence quite a bit - that's not smart.biggrin.png

It's dumb to live here and not speak Thai. A mentally challenged 7 year old could figure that out. I don't really see that as bragging. Being well thought of in your community makes everything easier and more pleasant.

It's dumb to live here and not speak Thai. A mentally challenged 7 year old could figure that out. I don't really see that as bragging. Being well thought of in your community makes everything easier and more pleasant.

Why is it dumb ?

Edited by Don Mega

Why is it dumb ?

Cave men gained supremacy over apes because of speech (among other things). Go to the zoo. The animals that can't communicate effectively are in cages. Anyone who would ignore the ability to communicate or purpose must be mentally handicapped. At 5 years old Kids go to school to learn how to communicate and they understand why.

Walk down the street and ask any 7 year old in school why they are learning how to speak Thai. They will tell you.

Hi so kids in international schools are learning how to speak English, Thai and Chinese to communicate.

It is dumb not to learn how to communicate. There are people on Thai Visa who brag about not being educated so I can see why but it is still dumb. A lady above maintains it is more important to be rich than intelligent and you are implying it is not dumb to live in a country and not be able to communicate with the inhabitants of that country.

it surely is dumb as well as arrogant to call other people dumb without knowing their background and their lifestyle.

reason: some people care a flying fart about being well thought by anybody and still live a quite pleasant life.

Why is it dumb ?

Cave men gained supremacy over apes because of speech (among other things). Go to the zoo. The animals that can't communicate effectively are in cages. Anyone who would ignore the ability to communicate or purpose must be mentally handicapped. At 5 years old Kids go to school to learn how to communicate and they understand why.

Walk down the street and ask any 7 year old in school why they are learning how to speak Thai. They will tell you.

Hi so kids in international schools are learning how to speak English, Thai and Chinese to communicate.

It is dumb not to learn how to communicate. There are people on Thai Visa who brag about not being educated so I can see why but it is still dumb. A lady above maintains it is more important to be rich than intelligent and you are implying it is not dumb to live in a country and not be able to communicate with the inhabitants of that country.

Seems to me the dumb here is your caveman skull as it is clearly too thick to understand that one can live here quite comfortably and not speak the local lingo.

I've been here longer than Gods Dog the worst part if you can converse in Thai is finding one worth talking to. When you do,that type of Thai only wants to practice their English.Also it's best not to let them know,you learn more saying nothing

You really should give it a break now. You've tried over and over to explain your point of view but when you start insulting your target audience, you lose all credibility.

Seriously mate, it's hard to believe you have any respect at all in your community if you go on like you do here.

Many people can understand and learn basic Thai just by listening ,

......no need to try.......however, there are many people that have a problem

with languages and are unable to learn. For some it's easy and comes naturally and for others it does not

matter how hard they try they just can not do it.....little bit like music, some people are born tone deaf.

And so we all have our strengths and weaknesses...........no big deal.

It makes sense to learn the language, no doubt about that......

However, if you are happy without and are in the ' can not do it ' category no problem either.

it surely is dumb as well as arrogant to call other people dumb without knowing their background and their lifestyle.

reason: some people care a flying fart about being well thought by anybody and still live a quite pleasant life.

I've done a lot of stupid things in Thailand. I had a go go dancer girlfriend who didn't want me to go to college and learn how to speak Thai. She did everything in her power to interrupt my studies and tried to prevent me from learning anything. I should have gone to school first and got the girlfriend second the other war around was stupid. I should have learned how to write Thai at the same time as I learned to speak Thai. I didn't and that was stupid. I had the time and money but I was stupid and thought it would be too difficult. I wish someone would have told me how stupid it was to be in Thailand and not read and write Thai. If people have a problem with tones they can write Thai and present a note to communicate. It makes life easier and more productive and less worrisome. I can't think of any circumstance where a person living in Thailand would not benefit from learning to speak and read and write Thai and learn something about the culture.

what would one benefit from learning to speak, read and write ?

I had a stroke and was taken to the nearest Thai hospital most of the staff including the ambulance drivers did not speak English.

I do speak Thai but I really wonder what my language abilities would be after a stroke blink.png

I had a stroke and was taken to the nearest Thai hospital most of the staff including the ambulance drivers did not speak English.

But the staff that could speak english would have been able to assist.... so no benefit there from speaking the local lingo.

But the staff that could speak english would have been able to assist.... so no benefit there from speaking the local lingo.

No, all the communication was in Thai. I only met the English speaking staff when I paid my bill.

the list is long! here a few suggestions:

-order your noodle soup from a street vendor in writing and negotiate either three extra spoons without surcharge or a discount of 2 Baht.

-discuss your views on BRexit and the European Union in details with the mailman.

-explain Einstein's relativity theory to your gardener and note down his contrarian views for a follow-up discussion after brushing up your knowledge using the Thai version of Wikipedia.

I do speak Thai but I really wonder what my language abilities would be after a stroke blink.png

Knowing what is said to you is the advantage.

No, all the communication was in Thai. I only met the English speaking staff when I paid my bill.

So you are saying if you was rolled in there on a gurney only able to speak English you most likely would have gone untreated ?.

Edited by Don Mega

the list is long! here a few suggestions:

-order your noodle soup from a street vendor in writing and negotiate either three extra spoons without surcharge or a discount of 2 Baht.

-discuss your views on BRexit and the European Union in details with the mailman.

-explain Einstein's relativity theory to your gardener and note down his contrarian views for a follow-up discussion after brushing up your knowledge using the Thai version of Wikipedia.

I got robbed and was on a Thai street alone with no money, no id, no passport and the robber was chasing me to do me bodily harm.

Struth Scotwight. first a stroke and now robbed. Thailand has been cruel to you.

Did you write the robber a stern email explaining that robbing people is bad and that you demand respect as you have taken the time to learn to speak, read and write the local lingo ?

Edited by Don Mega

So you are saying if you was rolled in there on a gurney only able to speak English you most likely would have gone untreated ?.

I think they may have transferred me to another hospital or waited till an English speaking doctor or nurse showed up. They may have given me medication that wrong or treated me in error. Or they may just have let me lie there on the gurney.

I know in some cases 4 hours is the maximum for certain kinds of treatment. Knowing when the problem occurred can be critical to treatment options.

Are you really arguing this? It is like asking if you would rather be a deaf mute in a hospital. Sure they will eventually find someone who can communicate with sign language. But.....

Struth Scotwight. first a stroke and now robbed. Thailand has been cruel to you.

Did you write the robber a stern email explaining that robbing people is bad and that you demand respect as you have taken the time to learn to speak, read and write the local lingo ?

I flagged down a passing motorcycle rider and explained the situation and he gave me a ride out of danger.

I flagged down a passing motorcycle rider and explained the situation and he gave me a ride out of danger.

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

My Filipino wife and her Filipino friend, both in their 20s, used to go out shopping together - often - this is not a one off event.

My wife's friend was studying Thai at a language school. When they were out her friend also tried to speak Thai. She was nearly always met with hostility from the Thai women in various establishment (shops, markets, stalls etc), but my wife who only spoke English was always treated well. My wife told her to stop practicing her Thai.

They couldn't understand her Thai well, but they certainly didn't appreciate the effort.

Isn't it like this in France too?

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

My Filipino wife and her Filipino friend, both in their 20s, used to go out shopping together - often - this is not a one off event.

My wife's friend was studying Thai at a language school. When they were out her friend also tried to speak Thai. She was nearly always met with hostility from the Thai women in various establishment (shops, markets, stalls etc), but my wife who only spoke English was always treated well. My wife told her to stop practicing her Thai.

They couldn't understand her Thai well, but they certainly didn't appreciate the effort.

You forget who you are dealing with here. I live in Thailand. Filipino story is BS. I know a hundred Filipinos who live and work in Thailand and all the Thais appreciate their attempts to learn and speak the language. Thousands of Filipinos teach at Thai schools with no problems at all.

What's your theory here:

In Pattaya:

You forget who you are dealing with here. I live in Thailand. Filipino story is BS. I know a hundred Filipinos who live and work in Thailand and all the Thais appreciate their attempts to learn and speak the language. Thousands of Filipinos teach at Thai schools with no problems at all.

You are a tefl teacher ?

OK, that explains a lot.

If you are rubbish at languages, and do not have the mental fortitude to learn, that's your problem.

But to try and convince people that you are better off not learning is a bit of a joke.

Your problem again..communication is vital.....I can speak Thai and get treated very well at all times.

They love it, and treat you accordingly....if you are just a bitter old grunter.....you get what you deserve.

If you are rubbish at languages, and do not have the mental fortitude to learn, that's your problem.

But to try and convince people that you are better off not learning is a bit of a joke.

Your problem again..communication is vital.....I can speak Thai and get treated very well at all times.

They love it, and treat you accordingly....if you are just a bitter old grunter.....you get what you deserve.

some people might lack the mental fortitude but use a universal language which is understood in all countries, especially in Thailand tongue.png

stock-photo-many-bundle-of-us-dollars-ba