Investor Visa - Experiences

There is quite a few threads that mentions the so called "investor visa" where 10 Mil/THB needs to be invested under certain rules and criteria.

But has anyone here on Thaivisa actually applied for such a visa and managed to get it?

Any experiences to be shared would be greatly appreciated.

There is no investor visa. A one year extension of stay can be applied for based upon investment at immigration. See clause 2.5 of Police Order 327/2557 basis for extension of stay.

Many people have obtained the extension.

Thanks for the reply.

I should have been clearer in my post.

Anyone having any first hand experience with the investor extension option on a non-immigrant visa?

Was it easy to get?

Hassles?

Etc.

Since you need a Non Imm O visa before applying for the investment extension, what is the appropriate category of Non O visa to apply for?

It would requires a non-b visa but the nearby embassies and consulates will issue one.

The best option is to get a tourist visa and then do a change of visa status at Bangkok immigration to get a 90 day non immigrant visa entry. It would require proof of the 10 million baht investment which could be proof of 10 million baht transferred into a Thai bank from abroad.

I did have this extension for a few years before I turned 50 and could go onto a retirement extension. I was lucky since the retirement age used to be 55, but was lowered around that time.

But it was only 3 million baht at the time, and I just transferred this amount from abroad into a fixed deposit account (NOT savings account) at Krungthai bank. It had to be a government bank, or one could invest in government bonds or a (new) condo in the "foreigner approved" part of a building. 2nd hand was not approved.

It was easy to get, but it required 2 sets of documents (very simple, with the normal copies of passport, bank letter and copies of the bank book, etc.), since one set went to Bangkok, the other stayed in the local office. It usually took around two months for the approval, but one got an "under consideration" stamp while waiting.

When the scheme was to be discontinued, I believe I heard that those already on would be grandfathered in, but I could then go to the more suitable retirement extension and release most of my investment (I went the 800K route), so I didn't follow up on the grandfathering. I believe the 10 million option is basically the same, but the amount has been upped to reflect the value of money these days.

• Like 1

Hah, me again. Server was down so I cannot edit my post. Just two things to add:

Beware the fixed deposit account should not be a special promotion, but a regular account that runs for 12 months and automatically is continued on a new 12 months cycle, with the same account and account number. The idea here is that you should not access your funds like for instance for retirement, but it is instead supposed to be a (long term) investment, to be in place and untouched until you do not require this sort of extension anymore. I could access my money if I wanted to with some loss of interest, but I would then break the conditions for my extension, so that would not be a good idea at all (understatement). It is different with retirement (or marriage) extensions, where the money can be used during the year if you so wish.

2nd comment, I had a non-B visa when I applied. I don't know if a non-O is also OK, you have to check that before you go for this, also check the detailed requirements, they might have changed since I was on this scheme (more than 8 years ago).

Just use 2 million of that 10 million and get a 20 year Thailand Elite Visa..

And then you have 8 million that you don't have to gamble with in Thailand.

With all due respect, I really hope that you are not a financial advisor.

Just use 2 million of that 10 million and get a 20 year Thailand Elite Visa..

And then you have 8 million that you don't have to gamble with in Thailand.

With all due respect, I really hope that you are not a financial advisor.

i tend to agree, why tie up 10 mil in a crappy 1.5 interest saver in Thailand just to stay here when 2 mil will get you 20 years here and the 8 mil can stay back home in lets say funds or safer investments that can generate higher interest.. Buy and rent property ect - that would easily pay off your 2 mil eventually... its easy to bring money in but each day gets harder to take it back home...

• Like 2

Since you need a Non Imm O visa before applying for the investment extension, what is the appropriate category of Non O visa to apply for?

From what I read online it is a non immigrant (tourist) visa.

Source: http://www.pattayamail.com/moneymatters/thai-investment-visa-could-be-key-to-long-stay-43971

Your source is inaccurate and uses incorrect terminology.

• Like 1

Source: http://www.pattayamail.com/moneymatters/thai-investment-visa-could-be-key-to-long-stay-43971

Any chance you might consider correcting it while using the correct terminology

Any chance you might consider correcting it while using the correct terminology

Ubonjoe covered it in post #6 above.

No one knows what a non immigrant (tourist) visa is.

How should that work? You could get the low end Thai Elite for 5 years for 500k, no such thing as 20y for 2mTHB. Maybe good, maybe bad, as nobody knows what the future will bring.