Just for fun: Thailand unveils new space program

I think the key word is "space", suggesting getting something up into space is the target, not just ~100 or 200m up.

But, not a bad "fun" effort by a bunch of uni folks.

Don't think their chosen method for thrust, the structure or control will get them to space. Add a few elastic bands.

Two replies

1- i went to a rocket festival in Laos, a big rocket blew up.

not a laughing matter.

2- in Europe i saw a Discovery channel program where the

presenters were trying to duplicate (a smaller version) of

the rocket, after many failed attempts they managed to fly

one so to the above rocket scientists,, well done boys.

I think the key word is "space", suggesting getting something up into space is the target, not just ~100 or 200m up.

But, not a bad "fun" effort by a bunch of uni folks.

Don't think their chosen method for thrust, the structure or control will get them to space. Add a few elastic bands.

I may be wrong but I think you will find that they are "farming folks"" not "uni folks".

The footage is from Tambon Kut Wa in Kalasin province. About 18km East of Kuchinarai.

It is, of course, Bun Bang Fai, and in Kut Wa the rockets are annular (ring) configuration. I didn't see any "conventional" types when I was there.

They are truly spectacular and the sound they make has to be heard "live" to be really appreciated.

I look forward to visiting it again when I hope I will be accepted as a volunteer on a launch team in order to approach more closely. Unlike other events the authorities keep the spectators at a distance from the projectiles as they are launched.

The reason is that the combustion chambers of these rockets are made of steel (unlike the conventional rockets which are made of plastic water tubing) and they are thus very much more dangerous if they explode (as one would expect a +4 metre long 150mm diameter metal pipe bomb to be).

Edited by Enoon