Further visas after a 30 day exemption and two 60 day SETVs at Vientiane

Hi Guys

I entered Thailand 20-11-2015 on a 30 visa exemption which I subsequently extended for a further 30 days at Chiang Mai immigration. When that expired, I flew to Vientiane for a 60 day tourist visa that I used to re-enter Thailand on 25-01-2016 and that was extended by 30 days to 18th March. On 18th March I again flew to Vientiane for another 60 day visa that will expire on 27th June.

I need to fly back to Europe for a few weeks in a few days time, returning to Thailand around the end of June. The plan is eventually, to get a "retirement visa" (I know there's no such thing but everybody knows what I mean). After a 30 day exemption and two back-to-back 60 day tourist visas one with a 30 day extension:

if I try to enter Thailand at Suvarnabhumi expecting to get a 30 day exemption visa on my return, am I am I going to have a problem do you think? Are they likely to insist on seeing an outbound ticket?

if I go to the Thai embassy either in London or in Brussels, should I expect problems getting another 60 day tourist visa? Are they likely to insist on seeing an outbound ticket on entry?

if I try for a 6 month METV either in my home country(the UK) or in my country of residence, Luxembourg (the embassy in Brussels handles applications from Luxembourg), is it likely to be granted? Will they want to see an outbound ticket?

would I be better off going straight for the O-A visa in London or Brussels?

what have peoples experiences been like at London or Brussels?

Cheers guys

Paul BJ

My history is similar to yours but a longer duration. I entered June 2015 on a 30 day visa exemption , I extended this by thirty days , I then got a double entry tourist visa from Savannakhet and extended both of these by thirty days , next I went to Singapore for a few days holiday and re-entered on a visa exemption , I was not asked for an outbound ticket , I extended this also by thirty days. I then went to Penang for an SETV which was also extended by thirty days and I am currently on my second SETV from Penang.

The plan is eventually, to get a "retirement visa" (I know there's no such thing but everybody knows what I mean).

No, everyone doesn't know what you mean. Do you plan to get a non-imm O-A or a non-imm O at an embassy or consulate or do you expect to get a conversion to a non-imm O at immigrations in Thailand or are you talking about applying for an extension of stay based on retirement once you manage, one way or another, to be here on a non-imm O entry?

• Like 1

My history is similar to yours but a longer duration. I entered June 2015 on a 30 day visa exemption , I extended this by thirty days , I then got a double entry tourist visa from Savannakhet and extended both of these by thirty days , next I went to Singapore for a few days holiday and re-entered on a visa exemption , I was not asked for an outbound ticket , I extended this also by thirty days. I then went to Penang for an SETV which was also extended by thirty days and I am currently on my second SETV from Penang.

Could I ask which airline allowed you to X Singapore without a visa and without onward flight. Yes this happens often, just curious which carrier.

On side note the OP has not clarified his situation/intention

Could I ask which airline allowed you to X Singapore without a visa and without onward flight. Yes this happens often, just curious which carrier.

On side note the OP has not clarified his situation/intention

It was Jetstar Asia

Current age? You asked about obtaining O-A.

As soon as you qualify for non imm O-A or O that would be your best option.

Ideally, I guess I would apply for the O-A visa in London. However, I don't know how demanding London is and, it could get complicated as I am resident in Luxembourg and my bank is in Luxembourg so all my paperwork will be in French. The other alternative would be to apply at the embassy that serves Luxembourg but that is Brussels, there being no Thai embassy in Lux.

Getting certified translations done, if any are needed, would cost me a fortune so that's something I would like to avoid.

The easiest option is probably to get another tourist visa and convert that to a non-immigrant visa when I get back in hence the question.

Based on your history, it sounds like I am pretty safe!