Recent Rises In Price of Eggs in CM? I Am Wondering Why?

WonderousWand

I moved my dwelling location on April 25 of this year. On the day I moved, I bought 10 chicken eggs, fairly large, for 4.00Bt per egg.

Then, 2 weeks ago, I was charged 4.50 Bt for each egg of the same size.

This afternoon, the same nice lady charged me 5.00 Bt for each egg.

It does not seem to matter the number of eggs I buy, whether 40 or 10, at this quantity there is no discount.

I am just curious why the price of eggs here has risen about 20 percent within 40 days?

It cannot be due to the raining season, because the first price increase occurred before the rains began.

Also, I have checked on this forum, and I see that the cost of making an egg is about 2.9Bt.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/807905-egg-farmers-cry-foul-on-pricing/

It does not make a lot of sense to me, the price I mean, and so why is the price going up, and where can I go to buy eggs for around 4.0 to 4.3 Bt per piece.

Of course, it makes no sense to travel a long distance for a chicken egg, and so I have not done so, and therefore do not know what the prices might be like on the other side of town, or at the large markets.

I hope the price will go down, because I eat a lot of eggs, at least 5 per day.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Global chicken shortage

OK.

So this is a real price fluctuation brought on by international influences, and NOT just the local egg lady raising the price?

I was surprised to find that each 2 weeks that passes the cost of her eggs rises by 10 percent.

I have done some checking around the local area here.

For the largest chicken eggs, the cost per egg used to be 4.30 Bt per egg. (for many months before April 25)

Then, around May 15 the price at my new place shot up from 4.5 for medium eggs to 5.0 today.

Two 10 percent price rises in one month.

I checked the news, but I can't find any information about this.

I am sure the farmers know what I should pay for medium size eggs, and for the largest size eggs.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Then I do not need to go out doing comparison shopping for eggs.

Global chicken shortage

OK.

So this is a real price fluctuation brought on by international influences, and NOT just the local egg lady raising the price?

I was surprised to find that each 2 weeks that passes the cost of her eggs rises by 10 percent.

I have done some checking around the local area here.

For the largest chicken eggs, the cost per egg used to be 4.30 Bt per egg. (for many months before April 25)

Then, around May 15 the price at my new place shot up from 4.5 for medium eggs to 5.0 today.

Two 10 percent price rises in one month.

I checked the news, but I can't find any information about this.

I am sure the farmers know what I should pay for medium size eggs, and for the largest size eggs.

If anyone knows, please let me know.

Then I do not need to go out doing comparison shopping for eggs.

post-224886-0-73436700-1465131736_thumb.

The roosters all passed away from a cock virus. Since then, I have to service the chickens myself. No easy task, as you can imagine. Some are so ugly I just want to give up. But when our junta leader comes on the telly, I am so inspired, I just got out and instil happiness to the whole flock. So tired right now.

I buy by the tray and just paid 103 Bt per tray, that is the most I can remember paying for a long time. The past year it has been between 85-95 mostly. Don't know what the reason is but last year the farmers were having a problem with very low prices.

Have you checked prices at a number of different places, like 6 or 8 or are you just basing you price information on one source?

This is based on only 3 sources.

The market near the Jesuit compound.

That market sells to the average working class shoppers, and I paid 4.3 Bt per largest size eggs on April 25.

Then in early May I paid 4.0 for medium size eggs from another roadside egg woman.

Her price went from 4.0 to 4.5 around May 20, and now just hit 5.0Bt for an egg, which seems to me to be smaller than those she was selling at the beginning of May.

I checked the 7 late April, and the prices there are about 10 percent higher, and the eggs are smaller.

However, you are correct that a better way to judge if price rises are real is to compare the price at 7.

But as to why this is happening?

I have no clue.

So far.

If you consume 5 a day, and they are now 1 baht extra each, that is a whopping 5b a day more on your living expenses, so I can see why you are so concerned.

What would Georgie have made about this, I wonder?

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

The roosters all passed away from a cock virus. Since then, I have to service the chickens myself. No easy task, as you can imagine. Some are so ugly I just want to give up. But when our junta leader comes on the telly, I am so inspired, I just got out and instil happiness to the whole flock. So tired right now.

A cock virus? I assume that must be gonorrhea.

Your are buying your eggs in 10's? 43 baht, 40baht, 50 baht? Buying them individually one or two at a time from Ma and Pa stores is always more expensive. Eggs do flucuate but it's just supply and demand , normal egganomics.

You are a Farang. She increase price and you do not complain. She increases again and you do not complain. Find a new supplier and if the price increases refuse to buy.

I imagine that she isn't the only supplier that has increased the price, and in fact others have said prices have risen anyway.

But let's ignore them and go along the road of 'nasty Thais cheating the Farang' hey?

As for finding a new supplier - don't tell me, "It's not the principle, its the price", right? Or is it the other way round, I forget?

Joe must have changed his medication regimen. Before he stated that proper men from his poor upbringing didn't discuss trivial matters like egg prices. Best prices I've seen are at Ton Payom Market at SUthep/Canal Rd.. They appear to sell a few thousand per day.

post-257548-0-29016100-1465136070_thumb.

One or two weeks ago , on the news here , that chickens were laying less eggs because of the heat.

Makro now 98 B for 30 big ones . Big c in promotion 88 for 30 small ones. Lowest few months ago , 79 B for 30 at makro , if I remember right.

Yes eggs up in price , it will come down when there is oversupply again.

Eat less .5 eggs per day is too much .Skwalk ,Skwalk .Ever heard of Semolina ? .People who get it from eating too much eggs report a strange urge to go walkabout .

Edited by anto

Noticed the same thing yesterday at Makro....Was 106/108 last visit....

Yesterday = 122 per flat....

Not eggagerating.....

I went on Thursday. Prices do differ from province to province . When I went for my extention in another province , I'd thought to combining it with my shopping. The bigc there was more expensive than in my province for the items I usually buy there.

Makro did have 30 for 108 or too , but they were just as big , I didn't see much difference . It's not like they are from free running chickens here , the poor birds.

One or two weeks ago , on the news here , that chickens were laying less eggs because of the heat.

Makro now 98 B for 30 big ones . Big c in promotion 88 for 30 small ones. Lowest few months ago , 79 B for 30 at makro , if I remember right.

Yes eggs up in price , it will come down when there is oversupply again.

OK... Then your observations correspond with 20 percent price rise I have seen since the end of April.

Also, I should point out that I never considered that this egg lady would charge a foreigner more than a local resident. I am sure she would not. Others would notice and complain. I mean, other Thai people would complain.

So, I guess the price rise is real throughout the area, however what is causing it is still unknown.

In the hot weather,which we have been having,chickens lay less eggs,

but people are still buying the same, so its a supply and demand thing,

less eggs,demand the same prices go up.

regards worgeordie

In the hot weather,which we have been having,chickens lay less eggs,

but people are still buying the same, so its a supply and demand thing,

less eggs,demand the same prices go up.

regards worgeordie

I do not disagree, however with regard to the egg prices at hand,

From last December until May 10th of this year, the local market egg prices remained stable.

That period was during the Cold and Hot seasons. It was not until 30 days ago that prices began to climb.

Yes, it is also true that eggs are warehoused for months by large retailers. In my case, these eggs are coming direct, since it is easy to see on some eggs feathers, fluff, maybe some manure or mud, I don't know.

Of course, this is no more then you would expect shopping at a farmers market.

The eggs are very fresh.