Sukhumvit icon Checkinn99 to close at current location

webfact

Sukhumvit icon Checkinn99 to close at current location
STAFF WRITER

checkinn99-bangkok.jpg
Featured image is via Facebook

BANGKOK: -- Checkinn99, one of the great heritage spots and jazz bars in the Sukhumvit neighbourhood, has sadly been given four weeks to vacate from its current location after lease extension discussions with their landlord fell through.

Located between Sois 5 and 7, the cabaret club is a true Bangkok original; dating back past 1960 and the city’s oldest continuously operating bar and nightclub.

Their last day of trading will be Tuesday 5 July 2016.

The club announced their imminent closure through their Facebook page, Jazz on Sukhumvit, last night.

They said,

“Life has a way of presenting us with challenges – I have spent two months of planning with the Landlord to extend the lease for Checkinn99, which included developing the vacant short time hotel upstairs into an upmarket hostel / budget accommodation such that we could keep Checkinn99 intact for future generations.

Unfortunately discussions with our landlord were not successful and we have been given four weeks notice to vacate. Our last day of trading is 5Jul16. Naturally we are looking for an alternate venue (short or long term) and will put our heart and soul into doing that as quickly and realistically as possible. In any other country in the world – Checkinn99 would be protected under a heritage listing and not planning to close business during our Diamond Anniversary.

Full story: http://whatsonsukhumvit.com/sukhumvit-icon-checkinn99-to-close-at-current-location/

whats-on-sukhumvit.png
-- (c) What's on Sukhumvit 2016-06-08

So basically, the landlord tried to raise the rent to an unsustainable level.

Whenever I go to Bangkok I always visit CheckInn99, it's a must do thing.

Wherever they go next, I will go there, wherever they used to be can stand empty and earning nothing as far as I (and I suspect many others) care.

I always found it to be a very over-rated bar (I stopped going a few years ago) with the usual money-minded hostesses, maybe that changed, and two very parochial types of music, jazz or the usual maddening 'aren't-we-great-just' flipper band of the sort that can be seen anywhere. Sadly, I won't miss it at all.

That's very sad news indeed. I wonder what forgettable shop/hotel/bar it will be replaced with?

It will sit empty for years as the landlord looks for a new tenant at double the rent. He set his eyes on a profitable business and wanted a cut.

I always found it to be a very over-rated bar (I stopped going a few years ago) with the usual money-minded hostesses, maybe that changed, and two very parochial types of music, jazz or the usual maddening 'aren't-we-great-just' flipper band of the sort that can be seen anywhere. Sadly, I won't miss it at all.

Sadly (for your assumed self importance) I'm sure not being missed will be reciprocated when/if they re-open.

I'd guess they're sick of pompous, sneering, pillars of society judging their hostesses as 'money-minded' for God forbid anyone in employment should be that.........

Market in the alley at the back, hostel at the front. Don't know why people sneer at the place, if you don't like it don't go. It is quite unique around there though and i don't know of an older club premises in Bangkok. I always found the atmosphere a lot more civilized than most of the other establishments around there, i'm sure some people prefer Hooters across the road. rolleyes.gif

Edited by thai3

Market in the alley at the back, hostel at the front

Liquor in the front, poker in the rear.

Think you could have expressed that better, 'Liquor in the front, poker in the rear"!! Would have been OK on Msg parlour report!

Apparently the landlord wanted to triple the rent (after doubling it over the last six years.) Additionally, the landlord owns the alley behind the place and wants to turn it into a "market place" which would have sliced into the back portion of the club, eliminating the toilets, the stairs to the upper floors, and the kitchen. No-win situation for the owners.

Stick covered it extensively, as many of his loyal readers don't go near Nana, Patpong, or Cowboy....anymore. 200 thb liters of Heineken? Square deal but nothing to get excited about. The same fate has happened to 1000s of other businesses. Rent seems cheap at first. /////there's always The Gamecheesy.gif

another marketing ploy, or? facepalm.gif

to get rid of this place and the constant sob stories they churn out is worth the closure.

many other places to go to in the area.

none have been there since 1957 though

Of all the times I have been in check in 99 over the last 20 years I can not say I have ever experienced jazz..

Philip cover bands, yes. Jazz no.

Heritage site my ass..

Of all the times I have been in check in 99 over the last 20 years I can not say I have ever experienced jazz..

Philip cover bands, yes. Jazz no.

Heritage site my ass..

HooHaa

Jazz has been going strong for the last 5 years.. Sunday afternoon jams - 10 to 20++ local and international musicians. Totally different crowd to the nights. Have been hosting annual Jazz Festivals (with 50+ musicians / or as part of bands) You will find the links google "jazz on sukhumvit" we have two big sessions left before we close - they are going to really be packed out.

Scouse.. Although I am not one to spoil a good story.. sadly we haven't hostesses for years...but we had to drop them when my wife took preventative action to stop me interviewing new staff.

Yes totally agree! - heritage is not something you would apply to a bar in Sukhumvit I would say that by ur definition of heritage or more correctly streetscape preservation has no meaning Thailand anyway. . but actually the bit that is more historic and getting demolished (and noone gets to see being part of our back wall) is an old entrance door that had been sealed up for about 60 years which led to steps down to what was a cellar from the Bangkok Ice works built on the site in about 1894 by NaiLert (see wikipedia for source) The Ice works was built facing the old canal that was filled in during the late 30's by Indian labour to become the Krunthep - Sammutprkan rd and subsequently renamed Sukhumvit originally between the corner of Soi 5 & 7 (both these Sois are called Soi NaiLert). The building that is now Checkinn99 was the first multi-story building in Sukhumvit Rd (Wattana) and partially constructed using the old ice works- in the enclosed photo you can see the newly constructed building in the far right of this view of Sukhumvit. The photo was taken 60 years ago when Checkinn9 was first built from about Soi 14 looking towards lower Sukhumvit. (Hemmingways is over the left shoulder of the photographer). The antique wrought iron & old door made of teak can be seen today - it will soon be demolished so please come and ask the staff and they will show you.

post-152805-0-07257100-1466259259_thumb.

post-152805-0-36932100-1466259281_thumb.

post-152805-0-25040900-1466259580_thumb.

Edited by CheckInn99

The owner shd be commended for trying to keep a real institution going this long. I wish him luck with the new location wherever it may be and will try to support it. Some people might not have liked check inn because it didn't appeal to everyone. But the history of the venue interested me and it still had its charms..

admittedly since the infamous hostess Mama Noi died earlier this year we felt too sad to visit.