ICAO satisfied with Thailand’s effort to improve civil aviation standards

rooster59

ICAO satisfied with Thailand’s effort to improve civil aviation standards

post-247607-0-25179500-1465626128_thumb.

BANGKOK: The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) was pleased with the progress that Thailand was trying its best to improve its civil aviation standards.

This was disclosed by the deputy spokesman for the Prime Minister’s Office Maj Gen Wirachon Sukonta-Patiphark following the meeting of the with the ICAO’s regional director of Asia-Pacific with the prime minister yesterday.

Maj Gen Wirachon said during the meeting with Mr Arun Mishra,the regional director of the ICAO, Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha had stressed that the Thai government was giving the highest priority to solving the problems within the country’s aviation industry and thanked the ICAO for its considerate attitude towards the Thai case.

The spokesman said that the prime minister had also verbally thanked the ICAO for providing invaluable assistance, advice and suggestions that has greatly helped Thailand to make vital improvements to its safety standards.

Gen Prayut stated that this has allowed Thailand to move forward steadily towards achieving international aviation standards for its local airline industry.

Furthermore, Gen Prayut also stressed that the measures that are being employed are aimed at providing a long-term, permanent solution that will see Thailand’s airline industry achieve parity with international carriers.

The spokesman said Mr Arun accordingly responded by saying that he was pleased with the progress that has been made and was confident that Thailand would be able to address its civil aviation shortcomings promptly.

The regional director went on to say that from what he has seen, he had faith in the potential of the people involved in the industry and maintains that Thailand is still considered the aviation hub for the Southeast Asian region.

In a related development, Transport minister Akhom Termphitaya-Phaisit revealed that following the conclusion of the meeting, the prime minister had assigned the ministry and the Department of Civil Aviation the task of fine-tuning the new measures to ensure greater integrity all round.

Furthermore, the prime minister wanted this to be accomplished in less than six months, before the next round of ICAO evaluations which is scheduled to begin six months from now.

Mr Arkhom revealed that the prime minister stressed that he wanted Thailand to pass all 8 conditions – with its 33 attached clauses; set out by the ICAO.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/icao-satisfied-thailands-effort-improve-civil-aviation-standards/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2016-06-11

So the ICAO are pleased and satisfied with the progress made according to the Thai spokesman. The words of the ICAO regional director are not qoutes, simply the government spokesman giving his opinion as to what was said.

Deja vu, I remember something similar regarding the EU and fishing.

Lets wait until the ICAO makes its own press release and compare the two.

Why oh why do they keep putting words in other peoples mouths? (rhetorical).

"Thailand is trying is best" just about says it all.

Unfortunately, it falls well short of any international standards or expectations but it will be all those foreigners and aliens problem for not accepting that Thailand is different and their standards dont fit Thai culture.

Thai planes are protected by amulets, monk blessings and all have lucky numbers in the registration.

Edited by Reigntax

"The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) was pleased with the progress that Thailand was trying its best to improve its civil aviation standards."

Transport Minister, Mr Arkhom, however stated that it is unclear when Thailand will be able to fully solve its aviation problems because Thailand has to meet 100% of the ICAO's aviation safety requirements.

- I find it hard to imagine that the ICAO will be pleased to hear about this uncertainty in the length of time for their requirements to be met.

Edited by andersonat

So, some 'complaints' last year, a review now, possibly some real action soon.

In the mean time we should stay away from aeroplanes in Thailand ? For at least one or two years more? Did things 'improve', weren't 'things' as bad as reported, or isn't the lives of those flying important enough?

In the mean time we should stay away from aeroplanes in Thailand ? For at least one or two years more? Did things 'improve', weren't 'things' as bad as reported, or isn't the lives of those flying important enough?

What is your opinion on the subject? Are you satisfied with the Thai spokesman's account of what was said at the meeting? Are you confident Thai domestic aviation is safe enough for you to fly on their aircraft?

Everything favourable about LoS supposedly said by foreign govts, international organisations etc would be more credible if actually said by a spokesperson from such entities rather than reported by a Thai official.

Speaking of credibility, other govts and so on could improve their own standing if, for once, a spokesperson came out and said ' this is incorrect, we never said or implied it '. Thailand happily speaks out with, at times, questionable authority and as they keep on getting away with it are unlikely to stop.

One has to marvel at the spin from the junta!

They produce a photograph showing junta-head shaking hands with Mr Arun Mishra (ICAO’s regional director of the Asia-Pacific), as they exchange pleasantries. Splashed across this photo is a banner stating “ICAO satisfied with Thailand’s effort to improve civil aviation standards”.

It should be noted that Mr Misha, and ICAO’s Asia/Pacific Regional Office are based in Thailand. Further, this is only one of seven regional offices, so while Mr Misha “unsurprisingly” may have said he “… was pleased with the progress … and was confident that Thailand would be able to address its civil aviation shortcomings promptly...”, one has to question whether his view is shared by the rest of ICAO (as there is no recent statement or press release to this effect on ICAO’s web site)!

This photo was probably taken as part of the Sixth Meeting of the Asia/Pacific Air Traffic Flow Management Steering Group (ATFM/SG/6) held in Bangkok from 06-10 June.

As if to further dampen Thailand’s “progress” (to improving its civil aviation standards), it is being reported elsewhere in TV that a THAI Airways International flight was forced to return to Chiang Mai international airport Saturday afternoon due to a mechanical problem.

In other words, we've lowered the bar based on Thailand pleading 3rd world special status.

If When there's another crash or serious incident, this face saving nonsense will blow up in their collective faces.

Arun Mishra. From the hub of compliance that is India. facepalm.gif

Edited by 55Jay

Everything favourable about LoS supposedly said by foreign govts, international organisations etc would be more credible if actually said by a spokesperson from such entities rather than reported by a Thai official.

Speaking of credibility, other govts and so on could improve their own standing if, for once, a spokesperson came out and said ' this is incorrect, we never said or implied it '. Thailand happily speaks out with, at times, questionable authority and as they keep on getting away with it are unlikely to stop.

Thainess, we are only saying what we believe the ICAO reps would have said if they'd spoken to the media.

It's Thai efficiency as we cut out the middleman and a service to visitors, don't worry about making statements as we'll do it for you.

What is your opinion on the subject? Are you satisfied with the Thai spokesman's account of what was said at the meeting? Are you confident Thai domestic aviation is safe enough for you to fly on their aircraft?

Let's just say that I don't think much has changed in the last twenty years. Furthermore a Thai auditor's biggest challenge is avoiding bribes and the bullet from the chap on the back of a motorcy.

Airplanes are sturdy beasts and as long as not too old reasonably reliable. Not too many planes seem to drop out of the sky here in Thailand. So flying may still be safer than my 4km. morning trip from home to BTS Victory Monument on the back of a motorcy. Of course if a plane goes down that's about it.

Now anxiously awaiting your opinion on this.

Took a Nok Air domestic flight a fortnight ago when I had the option of using rail, so yes, I think domestic air travel is reasonably safe. However I would not want ICAO to take their eye off the ball even for a moment, even if some on Internet fora may wish to cast aspersions on ICAO's integrity.

How's that?

The significance of this press stop by the ICAO is not lost altogether, Mr Arun was quoted as saying , he was confident that Thailand would be able to address it's civil aviation shortcomings promptly , this simply puts all the rest of the press statement to sleep, in short , nothing as yet has been concluded to a satisfactory standard , but they are working on it , can't be any plainer than that........................................coffee1.gif .

The significance of this press stop by the ICAO is not lost altogether, Mr Arun was quoted as saying , he was confident that Thailand would be able to address it's civil aviation shortcomings promptly , this simply puts all the rest of the press statement to sleep, in short , nothing as yet has been concluded to a satisfactory standard , but they are working on it , can't be any plainer than that........................................coffee1.gif .

Indeed, I agree with you. My reading of what was said in amongst what was said (if you follow my drift) is not al all that ICAiO is satisfied. They actually said 'pleased'. which isn't the same thing at all.

I suspect what was actually conveyed was "nice try but no coconut - 6/10. Must try harder or else. Still. we're pleased it's not still 3/10, so here's a nice pat on the head for you"

Or something to that effect.

Winnie

Took a Nok Air domestic flight a fortnight ago when I had the option of using rail, so yes, I think domestic air travel is reasonably safe. However I would not want ICAO to take their eye off the ball even for a moment, even if some on Internet fora may wish to cast aspersions on ICAO's integrity.

How's that?

Knowing you, you refer to me here.

Of course Baboon, English is difficult. "Thai auditor" I wrote. The ICAO inspectors are above that level as independent of any nation. The ICAO inspectors are the ones who report on irregularities observed and those inspectors' reports caused the ICAO top to react.

BTW as we've seen in 1999 foreign auditors employed locally just get a bullet, no money. RIP Michael Wansley. Long ago but not forgotten.