Best motorcycle roads in Isaan

revgreen

Looking to get out and do some riding. I'm based in Roi Et. What are the best roads around for riding? I of course know Loie, but looking for anything closer (Kalasin, Sakon, Yasothon, Mukdahan, etc)

So I'm guessing you are talking about Phu Ruea when you say you know about Loei. Have you also tried the road that runs along the Mekong from

NongKhai to ChiangKhan? It gets a little rough just before ChiangKhan but other than that it's a nice ride.

Another road people sometimes miss when riding through Phu Ruea is the road that takes off from Wang Saphung and comes out about 16 kilometers

from Phu Ruea. It is steep and twisty and is great for bypassing Loei. (on a bike that is)

I also am really interested in other nice rides in Isaan, maybe around the Sakhon Nakhon area especially.

I also am really interested in other nice rides in Isaan, maybe around the Sakhon Nakhon area especially.

-revgreen-

-Lee4Life-

Want go more far, where there is some difference rolleyes.gif You or others like to join?

Sitting between Udon Thani city and Sakhon Nakhon city, I not see something special here in my surroundings.

Not compared to my beloved Alps or their foothills in Europe. tongue.png

Can say the road from Udon Thani city to Nong Bua Lamphu and on,has some nice curves

and also the road-Highway from Sakhon Nakhon city or nearby to the South over a nice mountain, but both roads not very long. rolleyes.gif

Was also living in Chayaphum before, between Chayaphum city and Chumphe, had never strong interest to drive there with motorbike, in that area,

did that from Phuket, North and South at that time. Maybe I paid therefore Loei not so much attention which I should have.

BUT,

having now a motorbike here, I want to make trip, a bit longer,

one to Chiang Mai, Pai, Doi Inthanon-highest Thai peak, Mae Hong Son = the Loop,

but stretched down to Mae Sot and on to Umphang -death road -as many died building it. More than 1000 curves on about 200 km road.smile.png

I waited a bit to long now, the rain is here, but I have time can wait if necessary.

Somebody likes to join me?

I will start any day now from my place - first to Chiang Mai. Just check the weather reports for the next days. thumbsup.gif

http://www.sjonhauser.nl/death-highway-to-umphang-fifty-miles-through-the-clouds.html

LOUSY VIDEO ALERT---yes..the one listed right above this post. Be careful. Are you sure you wish to lose 15 minutes of your life? I hung in there for a short bit---I thought the motorbike rider would adjust his camera angle UP or mount it on his handlebars like most motorbike odysseys! NOPE...15 minutes of looking at a Honda instrument cluster----knock yourself out!

OP---ALL roads in Isaan are memorable, imho. Traverse them ALL--you'll have a helluva trek. Just close your eyes and drop your keys on the opened map and ride there!

The deal that is Isaan is deceptive---it is a state of mind more than a location. You do your ride, you stop for lunch at some eatery you come across in the boonies, you check your gear...make a few calls and texties. Move on down the highway---fill up petrol.....begin wondering where to bunk for the night? You pick a location early enough in the eve for a hot shower...a great massage and dinner. You hit the sack early.

Alternaste between bicycling as well as motorbike riding Isaan's great roads! The whole system of ห้องพัก (hong pak---guesthouses), Tai charm, primo coffee every 50m in the Kingdom, amazing Tai food everywhere you turn, what's not to like?

One important caveat I have learned---take days off in a strange town at the spur of the moment. Let the adventure you are on soak into your pores.

OP---ALL roads in Isaan are memorable, imho. Traverse them ALL--you'll have a helluva trek. Just close your eyes and drop your keys on the opened map and ride there!

The deal that is Isaan is deceptive---it is a state of mind more than a location. You do your ride, you stop for lunch at some eatery you come across in the boonies, you check your gear...make a few calls and texties. Move on down the highway---fill up petrol.....begin wondering where to bunk for the night? You pick a location early enough in the eve for a hot shower...a great massage and dinner. You hit the sack early.

Alternaste between bicycling as well as motorbike riding Isaan's great roads! The whole system of ห้องพัก (hong pak---guesthouses), Tai charm, primo coffee every 50m in the Kingdom, amazing Tai food everywhere you turn, what's not to like?

One important caveat I have learned---take days off in a strange town at the spur of the moment. Let the adventure you are on soak into your pores.

I don't often have extended periods of time to just take off and go touring. What I do have is time for day / overnight trips and I want to get my bike into some twisty roads. As stated in OP. Cheers for the advice though.

LOUSY VIDEO ALERT---yes..the one listed right above this post. Be careful. Are you sure you wish to lose 15 minutes of your life? I hung in there for a short bit---I thought the motorbike rider would adjust his camera angle UP or mount it on his handlebars like most motorbike odysseys! NOPE...15 minutes of looking at a Honda instrument cluster----knock yourself out!

In the beginning its more bad then later and in the end, can see enough road in most later parts, I looked not all, just glimpsed inside some parts. wink.png

The way you are writing is a bit harsh in my opinion and I think you are a "Scrooge" same this guy. lol

Enjoy, seeing yourself style in a movie tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

-revgreen-

-Lee4Life-

Want go more far, where there is some difference rolleyes.gif You or others like to join?

Sitting between Udon Thani city and Sakhon Nakhon city, I not see something special here in my surroundings.

Not compared to my beloved Alps or their foothills in Europe. tongue.png

Can say the road from Udon Thani city to Nong Bua Lamphu and on,has some nice curves

and also the road-Highway from Sakhon Nakhon city or nearby to the South over a nice mountain, but both roads not very long. rolleyes.gif

Was also living in Chayaphum before, between Chayaphum city and Chumphe, had never strong interest to drive there with motorbike, in that area,

did that from Phuket, North and South at that time. Maybe I paid therefore Loei not so much attention which I should have.

BUT,

having now a motorbike here, I want to make trip, a bit longer,

one to Chiang Mai, Pai, Doi Inthanon-highest Thai peak, Mae Hong Son = the Loop,

but stretched down to Mae Sot and on to Umphang -death road -as many died building it. More than 1000 curves on about 200 km road.smile.png

I waited a bit to long now, the rain is here, but I have time can wait if necessary.

Somebody likes to join me?

I will start any day now from my place - first to Chiang Mai. Just check the weather reports for the next days. thumbsup.gif

http://www.sjonhauser.nl/death-highway-to-umphang-fifty-miles-through-the-clouds.html

I have ridden to Umpang two times now. The last time the end of last year. The road is being upgraded, but due to the potholes it was not a fun ride.

If you like to see the countryside in the middle of nowhere carry on to the Burmese border on road 1288, for me more interesting.

post-112020-0-41157900-1465985093_thumb.

post-112020-0-44494800-1465985180_thumb.

I don't often have extended periods of time to just take off and go touring. What I do have is time for day / overnight trips and I want to get my bike into some twisty roads.

Sorry you have not enough time to join me, rolleyes.gif

I have ridden to Umpang two times now. The last time the end of last year. The road is being upgraded, but due to the potholes it was not a fun ride.

If you like to see the countryside in the middle of nowhere carry on to the Burmese border on road 1288, for me more interesting.

Sounds good, can give it a try for some time and check it out, thank you.thumbsup.gif

But, surely unpaved and I do not drive a real dirt bike. So not long for me. wink.png

Sounds good, can give it a try for some time and check it out, thank you.thumbsup.gif

But, surely unpaved and I do not drive a real dirt bike. So not long for me. wink.png

The first trip was on a PCX all the way to the Burmese border.

Last year 650 Versys

One side trip not suitable for the versys is...........

post-112020-0-22053600-1465987886_thumb.

post-112020-0-03932600-1465987991_thumb.

yes i am, been one for years, no idea how to contact except thru private messages on the site.

David ( the owner) is always on the road so be patient.,

I dont think you need be a member to access the forum, only maybe to ask questions.

I don't often have extended periods of time to just take off and go touring. What I do have is time for day / overnight trips and I want to get my bike into some twisty roads. As stated in OP. Cheers for the advice though.

Have ridden around your area a bit. I do not recall seeing a great deal that's memorable as a motorcycle road. I do enjoy my visits to Roi Et. I like that little town quite a bit. The lake, the seed stores, one or two temples, flirting with the waitress in one of the western restaurants overlooking the lake who will never run away with me (if I thought she would, I probably wouldn't flirt with her). But then, you live in Roi Et, and so it's not "getting away" for you.

No memorable motorcycle roads, but some memorable rides. The last time I was over that way, I spent a fair amount of time north of Kalasin, east of Udon Thani, trying to figure out where the heck I was. Highway 227 is horribly marked out there. It's easy to make a wrong turn. Oftentimes, there are not even KM markers on the little roads that may or may not be part of the highway, out there between the sugar cane fields. I often had to ask locals if I was going the right way. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Had a lot of fun talking to cops at a check point out there somewhere. I'm not quite sure if I'd done anything wrong (don't think so, but maybe they were trying to find a way suggest that I had?). They did not speak English at all. We spent a great deal of time smiling, speaking in the Thai language about how I do not hear Thai so well, and have zero skills in Laotian. They seemed extremely disappointed. Genuinely so. smile.png Not an exciting motorcycle road at all (though I seem to remember dreaming that I might have hit 180-190 KPH out there between the sugar cane fields somewhere. Couldn't possibly be true, of course). It was a memorable ride, nonetheless.

Highway 213 between Sakon Nakhon and Kalasin seemed mildly interesting. It goes through one or another national park. There are some twisties, at least, and some up and down action. There's also a fair amount of traffic on the road, however, and not to be particularly insulting, really, but many of the drivers out there appear to be Thai.

The primary road between Udon and Sakon Nakhon is quite nasty, with many of the drivers there appearing to be really, really Thai. I seem to remember a situation where one motorbike was passing another motorbike, and being passed by a car, which was being passed by a bigger truck, which was being passed by another car, which was being passed by a really fast pickup, all at the same time (think parallel vehicles across the road in front of you). This was all happening on a two lane, two way stretch of roadway, somewhere near some really foul smelling dumps of some kind. Just avoid that road completely. Trust me.

There are alleged to be some really spiffy temples over in the greater Nakhon Phanom area. I've managed to see only a few. Next time I'm over that way, I will have to do much better planning beforehand.

And there's this really big and beautiful temple somewhere to the northeast of Udon Thani. Nothing else much out that way, it seems, but you might look for it and think about going off that way...

North of Udon Thani, out Highway 2021, I think it was, there's a temple that's part of a national park. Somewhere west of Ban Phue on highway 2348, I think. The temple itself... Well, not much, I guess. But many interesting Buddha statues on the mountain/plateau there. The people of Udon Thani should feel comforted that there's a Buddha out there somewhere looking over all in the great plains area below him to the east.

There is a pleasant enough temple in Amnat Charoen, as I recall. Fairly large. Can't recall its name. I think I went in on highway 202, and turned left on highway 212. It was up the way a half KM or so, on the right (east). I think. No promises. Go there and look around and let me know if I was right. OK?

Ubon was OK, but didn't really impress. Maybe I should go have another look to make sure I was not impressed.

The only other thing I can think of worth reporting here is that highway 226, west of Si Saket, had new tarmac a year or two ago. There were some really nice straight stretches of new, black asphalt. Hardly any traffic. I can't say for sure, but it seems possible that a motorcycle could really fly out that way... Looked like it might really be possible for a bike to easily cruise along at a couple hundred KPH. I mean, brand new road. No one around. Maybe you should ride down that way and have a look... Let me know if you agree that it might be possible for someone on a bike to go that fast. Or faster, if they've got the power. I never go faster than about 60KPH, so can't really say for sure. tongue.png

Oh... You're not that far from Siem Reap. I understand Thai bikers go in and out of Cambodia regularly. Tonle sap is kind of interesting to explore around... Let me know when you've figured out the best way for you to get there. What highways, and etc. Can you go in through Choam, or Angkrong? What's the road between Choam and Sien Reap like, please?

Nope. Not so many great "motorcycle roads" out that way. But some places to visit and remember.

Choke dee, krup...

Edited by RedQualia

Yep, a couple of good roads there.

The 2330 going on to the 213 South of Sakhon Nakhon are worth checking out.

That's what I was looking at.

I'm thinking 2287 -> 2339 -> 2330 -> 213 -> 12 (to Kalasin or back home, depending)

Are the roads generally in good shape? Heavy traffic?

OP---ALL roads in Isaan are memorable, imho.

Not an exciting motorcycle road at all (though I seem to remember dreaming that I might have hit 180-190 KPH out there between the sugar cane fields somewhere.

The primary road between Udon and Sakon Nakhon is quite nasty, with many of the drivers there appearing to be really, really Thai. somewhere near some really foul smelling dumps of some kind. Just avoid that road completely. Trust me.

Oh La. la

I saw some vehicles drive their nose out of such fields without looking or stopping - that could be the "end" of not only that trip. rolleyes.gif

=====

The smell can be either some -Rubber bearings and processing- facilities, 25 - 30 km after Udon Thani city and/or the -Sugar Company- between Nong Han and Sawang Den Din.

As this is,

at least, half of the way to, or from either Udon Thani or Sakhon Nakhon city for me, - I traveled that stretch of road numerous times. Unavoidable. lol tongue.png

Edited by ALFREDO

Yep, a couple of good roads there.

The 2330 going on to the 213 South of Sakhon Nakhon are worth checking out.

the road-Highway from Sakhon Nakhon city or nearby to the South over a nice mountain, but both roads not very long. rolleyes.gif

Yes -Scottdoo- that 2330 Road I meant, thumbsup.gif

I did the 213, 2330, 2287, and 2339 today. All were great roads. Will definitely make this trip a regular thing as it can easily be done in 1/2 a day.

Good,

you had been, at some point less then 100 km from me.

Chaiwan Amphoe. Let me know next time, we could meet here or somewhere on the way? thumbsup.gif

I will check, your Tour,

but I get bored - on the end you have always to travel the same part of road in and out before and after the 1/2 day or 1 day Tours

and also these Tours are limited in the variety.

So I have to drive sometime, more far, for some days. wink.png

Edited by ALFREDO

but I get bored - on the end you have always to travel the same part of road in and out before and after the 1/2 day or 1 day Tours

Nope. I made a giant loop, no back tracking at all.

You misunderstood me - on the end you always have to drive the same last Kilometers home - how much variety of driving the last 20 - 50 km from your home,

or to your home you have?

2,3 or 4? Get boring too. rolleyes.gif

• 11 months later...
On 6/15/2016 at 0:22 PM, burgdawg said:

Best advice I heard in long time, spot on.