Ramadan for foreigners – as explained in the UAE

rooster59

Ramadan for foreigners – as explained in the UAE

post-247607-0-95757500-1466207921_thumb.

Ramadan is well underway, one of the most important periods on the Islamic calendar.

In the United Arab Emirates, where the native population is heavily outnumbered by foreigners, efforts are underway to explain to expats the holy month and other aspects of local life.

“We have large millions of non-Emiratis living in the UAE. We have a very unique situation. It is very cosmopolitan. These people need to know about the culture of the UAE,” said Abdullah bin Eisa Al Serkal, Director of the Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Centre for Cultural Understanding.

The daily fast from sunrise to sunset often ends with a large evening meal – Iftar.

Guests are invited to the Sheikh Mohamed Cultural Centre to enjoy it and find out more.

One Spanish woman – speaking in French – hailed a warm welcomes by the Emiratis.

“We have talked. We could ask them questions…They are people like us. In everyday life we don’t have a big opportunity to talk to them so that is interesting,” she said.

“I loved how open and hospitable everyone was,” said another expat.

“I think it made the Emirati people seem more humane or typical like us.”

“It is about integration in our community,” a third foreign woman added.

“We live here in Dubai. And It is all about…communities living in harmony, peace and love and harmony.”

Foreigners in the UAE range from low-paid construction workers from south Asia, to top executives.

Not all will get the chance to visit the cultural centre, but those who do seem to find it a nourishing experience.

euronews2.png
-- (c) Copyright Euronews 2016-06-18

Efforts are underway to explain to expats the holy month and other aspects of local life.

Why should expats have to care less about their religious superstitions and local custom?

They couldn't careless about ours, all expats have to do it to respect the locals and that's that. Muslims are all about conversion that's all.

Also as the locals are out numbered by expats, it should be the locals that take more interest in the culture of the west.

Efforts are underway to explain to expats the holy month and other aspects of local life.

Why should expats have to care less about their religious superstitions and local custom?

They couldn't careless about ours, all expats have to do it to respect the locals and that's that. Muslims are all about conversion that's all.

Also as the locals are out numbered by expats, it should be the locals that take more interest in the culture of the west.

The internet offers many possibilities to learn or as FourAces demonstrates, to publicise your small minded ignorance to the world.

Emirati are indeed outnumbered by 'expats' but what FourAces does not know, because he's clearly never been to the UAE, is that the majority of the expats come from Pakistan, the wider Middle East and Bangladesh.

The biggest non Muslim expat community in the UAE are Filipinos.

I spent almost two years in Abu Dhabi, it was one of the best postings I've had, the local people are friendly and welcoming, and all the distractions of 'western life' are available, including to my delight wide selections of ales and wines are reasonable prices. The quality of goods and services is superb and for those who delight in what Thailand has to offer in terms of 'Nightlife', they really ought to take the chance to see what competition Dubai has to offer.

I do not know anybody who has lived and worked in the UAE who has not enjoyed their time there.

FourAces should make a trip himself sometime, he might learn something that helps him remove the veil he has placed over his mind.

I guess that you are one of those people that start complaining that you can't buy your daily beer on some Buddhist holidays here in Thailand too.

If you are an expat living outside your own country then you need to learn about the local culture and customs otherwise you are just on an extended holiday. How long have you been in Thailand? What have you seen beside Pattaya or Pukhet? I have visited over 30 of Thailand's provinces (NOT including Chonburi and Phuket). I'm have become a part of the local community and take part in social events. I have Thai friends in all stages of the social ladder all the way from the poor rice farmers to people in the highest parts of the Thai government, the only way to get friends like that is to adopt to the culture and customs of the country.

GuestHouse is correct,

You can have a wonderful time there ,( plenty of booze, hoes, and air conditioning_) i but you must be able to ignore or not care about the fact that the UAE is one of the worst countries for human rights, trafficing, slave labor, sharia law , stoning, whippling no freedom of speech etc. Enjoy your stay !

I guess that you are one of those people that start complaining that you can't buy your daily beer on some Buddhist holidays here in Thailand too.

If you are an expat living outside your own country then you need to learn about the local culture and customs otherwise you are just on an extended holiday. How long have you been in Thailand? What have you seen beside Pattaya or Pukhet? I have visited over 30 of Thailand's provinces (NOT including Chonburi and Phuket). I'm have become a part of the local community and take part in social events. I have Thai friends in all stages of the social ladder all the way from the poor rice farmers to people in the highest parts of the Thai government, the only way to get friends like that is to adopt to the culture and customs of the country.

cheesy.gif post of the day,,, gigglem.gif

i but you must be able to ignore or not care about the fact that the UAE is one of the worst countries for human rights, trafficing, slave labor, sharia law , stoning, whippling no freedom of speech etc. Enjoy your stay !

You make a lot of claims there, care to back them up?

To keep it Thailand related, let's say, in comparison to Thailand

^^^ I am to lazy to post links but you can search for "human rights in UAE" as well as their law code, also some in depth docs. have been produced, as far as Thailand the situation is more localized such as fishing and the numbers are smaller, Burmese labor situation has improved.

80 percent of UAE population are foreigners most from impoverished countries. If I were posted there as a westerner, I would participate in the hospitality offered and be grateful for my good fortune," you got to play the hand you are dealt" as they say.

People from the West like to lecture everyone in the world incuding each other.

hypocritical article

Islam is state religion there and they impose their religious laws even on non-muslims.

see:

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/ramadan-faqs-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-holy-month-in-the-uae

I guess women and girls should also take special to not get raped during Ramadan, because this would be considered especially offensive, potentially carrying much heavier punishments for the girl...

Edited by manarak

hypocritical article

Islam is state religion there and they impose their religious laws even on non-muslims.

see:

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/ramadan-faqs-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-holy-month-in-the-uae

I guess women and girls should also take special to not get raped during Ramadan, because this would be considered especially offensive, potentially carrying much heavier punishments for the girl...

Do you live here? Do you know anything about here?

Another typical bigoted, small minded poster!

Get a life bud take your trolling post somewhere else.

hypocritical article

see:

I visited several times.

I suggest you go trolling somewhere else.

UAE imprisoning rape victims under extramarital sex laws – investigation

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/26/hundreds-of-women-prosecuted-for-extramarital-sex-in-uae-finds-bbc

hypocritical article

see:

I visited several times.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/oct/26/hundreds-of-women-prosecuted-for-extramarital-sex-in-uae-finds-bbc

I live here. People are progressive more than the majority of Muslims in the rest of the world.

When you live in a foreign country you have to follow the host country's laws. Not to difficult of a concept.

Please unless you have experienced the country or holidays such as the OP describes, dont bring your trolling argument here. The thread is not about sex or laws.

hypocritical article

see:

I visited several times.

I live here. People are progressive more than the majority of Muslims in the rest of the world.

When you live in a foreign country you have to follow the host country's laws. Not to difficult of a concept.

Please unless you have experienced the country or holidays such as the OP describes, dont bring your trolling argument here. The thread is not about sex or laws.

The thread is about spreading PR in favor of the UAE and their muslim traditions.

The UAE are "livable" as a Westerner if one adapts a bit and is careful about not upsetting them, but I refuse to let them shine a positive light on their customs when at the same time they persist with stuff as I linked above.

Yes, they are "less bad" than other places under Muslim leadership, but still bad in some important aspects.

If I was living there, I too would be following their rules to avoid being put in jail, but "understanding the Ramadan" I would only do for academic purposes, a bit like I would absorb the knowledge about lynchings by the Ku Klux Klan or what Hitler really meant in his mein Kampf tripe...

So you speak fluent Thai do you?

i but you must be able to ignore or not care about the fact that the UAE is one of the worst countries for human rights, trafficing, slave labor, sharia law , stoning, whippling no freedom of speech etc. Enjoy your stay !

You make a lot of claims there, care to back them up?

To keep it Thailand related, let's say, in comparison to Thailand

This is a world news story so you can carry on the discussion with out worrying about it being related to Thailand.