Teacher caught on video assaulting female student - but many see nothing wrong in that

webfact

I tough just few months in a elementary school, and had a couple of bad behavior boys, 12 to 14 years old, on my class don't responding to my corrections. One morning, after class, I found my motorbike with cutted tires and the boys watching and laughing at me. I complained with the Principal, and nothing was done. Happened again, and I have to quit the job because I knew that I was going to react bad next time......But...if I was Thai...... other history... After many years living here I learned that ...unfortunately...most Thai people are not very inclined to dialog and compromise...and just acts.. provoking and testing a physical response or some kind of confrontation.

I hope you were not teaching English! 2/10

I only speak fluent Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French...and this kind of English. Anyway..I was teaching art for free in that school...and I quit also because I had an offer from a better one.... to do English Camps too.

Edited by umbanda

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original post said that the girls had to wear traditional skirts on that day because they were doing traditional dance classes, including to an audience. The girls in question wore trackies so they could avoid the dance classes. The issue has nothing to do with a student's rights to modesty.

It's like girls saying they have their periods (when they don't) to avoid gym classes. I'm not arguing what is the appropriate 'punishment', just the issue up for discipline.

Those parents who say they would give the teacher a beating for touching their daughter are, themselves, condoning violence. I guess they believe their children (and by extension themselves) are incapable of doing any wrong.

Sorry but i disagree with previous posters.

Being a teacher these days would challenge anyone to keep their cool;

Many children goad teachers just to see how far they can go.

Only point i agree on, is he should not have hit her head.

When i was a kid ( many many ) years ago, speak or step out of line and wallop you got it.

End of story, you learned to behave, never went home and told parents, or you got more for disrespecting your teacher.

Well by your own admission you are a 'cranky old bugger'. When you were a kid they were still hanging people in the UK, they don't do it now as it is wrong. Beating kids was the norm, they don't do it now because it is wrong. A poster has put up the Thai law. Whether you think it is good to have a child slapped around the head for wanting to get out of dance classes is irrelevant, it is against the law to hit the child. how many times have you and your ilk on here been of the mindset 'if you can't do the time don't do the crime'. This teacher broke the law and committed a criminal offence, now explain why he should be shown leniency?

I'm sorry, but some kids are in need of a few smacks in the head to get their brain processing. I do think that using your hands to strike a student is wrong though. Roll up a paper or something at least. Enough to get their attention and understand their actions are wrong, but not going to hurt after.

The actions of the teacher are just as wrong. You are teaching the child in their informative years that the way to treat a misbehaving child or an under performing child is to beat them. They will do it with their children.

The original post said that the girls had to wear traditional skirts on that day because they were doing traditional dance classes, including to an audience. The girls in question wore trackies so they could avoid the dance classes. The issue has nothing to do with a student's rights to modesty.

It's like girls saying they have their periods (when they don't) to avoid gym classes. I'm not arguing what is the appropriate 'punishment', just the issue up for discipline.

Those parents who say they would give the teacher a beating for touching their daughter are, themselves, condoning violence. I guess they believe their children (and by extension themselves) are incapable of doing any wrong.

Wanting to escape a Thai dancing class is not an excuse to be beaten is it?

How do you know when a girl is having her period or not when asking to get out of gym class? Are you keeping a record, do you ask to see evidence? Your post is mind boggling.

Your lecture to parents about them condoning violence has no credibility as you yourself are condoning violence.

rogeroc, on 26 Jun 2016 - 12:47, said:

I agree and those type of 'hypocritical bullies' are also likely to have 'bratish' kids who of course nobody else can touch !

Why would anyone need to touch another's child?

I meant 'touch' in a wider sense including any form of discipline / telling off. I am with you 100 per cent i think it is wrong for any parent, teacher , policeman to strike a child.

Edited by rogeroc

Hmm. I was caned at school. In some cases it was just power abuse. Drunken housemaster, appropriately named Mr. Beer!

Never complained. He'd be fired today. Hope he died alone.

Totally unacceptable for a male teacher to touch a female student without permission. Let alone beat her over the head, of all places.

The girls have a right to dress in trousers if they suspect their modesty would be compromised.

If he touched my hypothetical daughter he'd want good health insurance.

another post that condems violence,, with more violence... Lets all stay on the merry go round folks !!!!
Who mentioned Violence? Health insurance covers all sorts of mishaps, tummy upsets, mechanical failures, anthrax...

Hmm. I was caned at school. In some cases it was just power abuse. Drunken housemaster, appropriately named Mr. Beer!

Never complained. He'd be fired today. Hope he died alone.

Totally unacceptable for a male teacher to touch a female student without permission. Let alone beat her over the head, of all places.

The girls have a right to dress in trousers if they suspect their modesty would be compromised.

If he touched my hypothetical daughter he'd want good health insurance.

another post that condems violence,, with more violence... Lets all stay on the merry go round folks !!!!
Who mentioned Violence? Health insurance covers all sorts of mishaps, tummy upsets, mechanical failures, anthrax...

Yeah, That's what you meant, sure, right, whatever ! Your a violent person with comments like that, worse than the teacher as you're threatening violence that would put him in hospital !

You are confusing discipline with violence.

Schools need discipline, however this does mean they have to use violence.

Discipline vs violence ... a debate that's been going on awhile now, and not just in schools. Right now there's a mother in Louisiana who's been arrested for "whipping" (with an electrical cord or belt according to the sheriff) her 3 kids because they broke into a neighbor's house and stole stuff. The husband/father is currently doing time in prison, and she says she didn't want that for her kids. She's actually receiving a lot of moral support at the moment, including from state officials praising her for doing the right thing. And so the debate about child discipline rages.

Which is more "damaging"? The effects of a "whipping", or ending up a jailbird. Which is more damaging to society? Appropriate corporal punishment that teaches discipline at an early age, or having to house, clothe and feed (rinse & repeat) career criminals? But WRT discipline in schools, if parents were doing their job at home, it wouldn't even have to come up. It's not enough however that we prevent teachers from exercising any discipline in the classroom, some of us have to stick our noses into family affairs and tell parents that they can't discipline their kids at home. Genuine abuse is one thing, but a few welts from a belt is reasonable and for most kids necessary at one time or another. (If done early enough, I think you find in most cases that any further need for it disappears because the child has learned.)

For me there is no such thing as appropriate corporal punishment. Violence is never the answer.

All you learn from violence is that it hurts and if you are stronger/more powerful than someone who angers you then you can use violence to teach them a lesson. A thought process possessed by bottle merchants the world over on many a Saturday night brawl.

Discipline is a process that involves teaching right from wrong, when done properly it leads to an understanding of why something is wrong. It should teach appropriate behaviour.

Violence does not do that. All it teaches is, as I previously said, that it hurts and in order to avoid pain don't get caught.

Striking a child in anger or as a form of discipline is wrong.

striking a child in anger, and smacking a child for discipline, are two different things...

Exactly. Both parents AND children are perfectly capable of understanding that, too. And 'wrong (as well as short-sighted and purely a matter of conjecture) about it just teaching avoidance of pain - but yes, we know that's the urban myth talking point. But right that doing it in anger is wrong and can lead to unintended consequences. It's called "parenting", and not all parents are qualified to be doing it... Society silently accepts that but has no idea what to do about it, so the Buttinski's keep interfering to try and compensate for the failures, which not only doesn't work, but impairs the efforts of the competent majority.

Striking a child is not exercising discipline.

Striking a child is not teaching them discipline.

Striking a child does not help them learn right from wrong.

Striking a child is violence.

It is abuse.

Edited by Bluespunk

It is abuse.

Of course it makes them learn right from wrong, they learn they are not supposed to be doing whatever they got a smack for..

On reading another post on here, it said the dance was a traditional Thai dance, and the girls were to wear their traditonal Thai dresses as there would people to coming to see them... so I can see why the teacher was a bit pissed off with them, and the girl knew she was in the wrong.

If he had of hit her on the arm, would this have even made the news,, He just made a big mistake hitting her on the head, err, slapping her on the head.

As a hit is normally with a closed fist, a slap is with an open palm..

It is abuse.

Of course it makes them learn right from wrong, they learn they are not supposed to be doing whatever they got a smack for..

On reading another post on here, it said the dance was a traditional Thai dance, and the girls were to wear their traditonal Thai dresses as there would people to coming to see them... so I can see why the teacher was a bit pissed off with them, and the girl knew she was in the wrong.

If he had of hit her on the arm, would this have even made the news,, He just made a big mistake hitting her on the head, err, slapping her on the head.

Violence towards children by teachers has no place in a school.

Violence towards children is not discipline. It is assault.

This man struck a child in anger. That is assault.

Violence is not discipline.

It shows a complete lack of self control and discipline on the part of this teacher.

He is a danger to those he is supposed to be educating. He is a disgrace to his profession.

There is never a reason for a teacher to strike a child in anger or as "discipline".

On any part of the body.

Edited by Bluespunk

It is abuse.

Violence towards children by teachers has no place in a school.

Violence towards children is not discipline. It is assault.

This man struck a child in anger. That is assault.

Violence is not discipline.

It shows a complete lack of self control and discipline on the part of this teacher.

He is a danger to those he is supposed to be educating. He is a disgrace to his profession.

There is never a reason for a teacher to strike a child in anger or as "discipline".

On any part of the body.

Of course your so right, ???? it's funny that only about half the posts agree with you !!!

Read some of the posts about teachers that are, or have been teaching in schools and countries where smacking is not allowed....

Any kind of corporal punishment is (at best ) two things:

- declaring bankrupcy of arguments

- abusing a position of power

There are other ways to "discipline" children, then smacking them in the head or caning them!