Atm Ripoff Beware

I Go With You

i hope you contacted the bank young man to tell them of this error :o

MUAHAHAHAHA!!! :D

Interestingly enough, since I was an upstanding school principal at the time (instead of a farang-kee-nok English teacher in Thailand like I am now), I did go to the bank the next day (I had withdrawn the cash at 10pm the previous evening). The teller reacted to me like, "Oh, YOU'RE the guy." They led me to a little conference room where a bank officer came to hear my story and pry the funds from my reluctant little fingers. No smile. Not a "thank you." Not even a token reward. Frankly, they made me feel kind of like a criminal. Maybe instead, they wanted me to dump the cash into the nearest trash can with an "Oops!"note attached? Rather than take it to the safety of my home, which I did?

The bank officer then told me they had already linked my video snapshot to the transaction, and they were giving me 24 hours to bring it in before they would have to notify the authorities. I presume my mugshot would have been right up there with the FBI's 10 Most Wanted. Afterwards I did go back out to the ATM and verified there was a camera lens staring me right in the face, next to the monitor.

Disaster averted. ("Oh look. Mummy, that's My Principal's face on that 'wanted' poster! Should I tell them where his office is? I've been there many times!")

Edited by toptuan

Interestingly enough, since I was an upstanding school principal at the time (instead of a farang-kee-nok English teacher in Thailand like I am now), I did go to the bank the next day (I had withdrawn the cash at 10pm the previous evening). The teller reacted to me like, "Oh, YOU'RE the guy." They led me to a little conference room where a bank officer came to hear my story and pry the funds from my reluctant little fingers. No smile. Not a "thank you." Not even a token reward. Frankly, they made me feel kind of like a criminal. Maybe instead, they wanted me to dump the cash into the nearest trash can with an "Oops!"note attached? Rather than take it to the safety of my home, which I did?

The bank officer then told me they had already linked my video snapshot to the transaction, and they were giving me 24 hours to bring it in before they would have to notify the authorities. I presume my mugshot would have been right up there with the FBI's 10 Most Wanted. Afterwards I did go back out to the ATM and verified there was a camera lens staring me right in the face, next to the monitor.

Disaster averted. ("Oh look. Mummy, that's My Principal's face on that 'wanted' poster! Should I tell them where his office is? I've been there many times!")

If you find money in the USA, you are legally required to return it. I am not sure why you would expect a Thank You or a reward for returning money that doesnt belong to you.

Ive had this happend to me in Sydney, It spat my card out and debited my account. But by the time I went to the back a few hours later it got put back in my account.

The ATM should send a message of some sort to the bank.

Im sure you will get your money back.

If the ATM steals your money then just steal the ATM

Ive had this happend to me in Sydney, It spat my card out and debited my account. But by the time I went to the back a few hours later it got put back in my account.

The ATM should send a message of some sort to the bank.

Im sure you will get your money back.

Don't be so sure. Take into consideration this earlier reply from Dgoz:

This exact thing has happened to me three times with 2 different bank cards in 2 different countries with 3 different results.

The first was in Bangkok at a Siam city bank ATM. I tried to withdraw 20,000b with my Citibank (Australia) card. No cash but amount debited from my account.

It took me 6 months of emails, phone calls (to a Philippino call centre)and a letter to the Australian banking ombudsmen before my account was credited.

The second time in Turkey with a different Oz bank for a similar amount. After 2 months and a few emails I was credited.

The third time was in Bangkok with my Citibank card at an AEON bank ATM. It was only for $200. After more emails,phone calls etc I gave up. Never got the money.

I know only use Siam commercial Bank(purple ATMs) or the yellow ATMs. Never had a problem with those.

It would seem that you can lose the money.

Thanks Dgoz for your account of what can (and does) go wrong at ATMs. After reading this I checked all my ATM withdrawals and I'll be keeping a much closer eye on my account in future.

...I am not sure why you would expect a Thank You or a reward for returning money that doesnt belong to you.

...common couresty... Just like a rescue aid worker might thank you for moving an injured traffic victim out of the flow of traffic. The law in my state says you are to give reasonable aid to a victim of a traffic accident, so as to insure no further injury (as opposed to fleeing the scene).

They might not have thanked me, but they didn't have to make me feel like I had done something wrong either. The treatment was quite a "guilt-by-association" attitude on the part of the bank officials. That's my point.

Hi,

hope you get the dosh back.

Just had a problem whilst in Jakarta. Withdrew 1.4 million rupiah which is approx 150 US dollars. Got back home and sum of 15000 US dollars had been taken from my credit card....happy days. Fortunately had the reciepts, and the bank have aknowledged the problem so will be re credited soon.

Not the first problem with the H*BC either.

Rgds.

A few years ago Bangkok Bank ATM didn't give me the money from Bank Of Asia account. When I checked at the next ATM I saw that the money had been debited.

Straight to the nearest BOA branch, told them ATM address, filled some standard form and got the money back in a couple of days.

If you find money in the USA, you are legally required to return it. I am not sure why you would expect a Thank You or a reward for returning money that doesnt belong to you.

Don't you thank a doctor that's just cured you or a mechanic that fixed your car without giving you the BS with new parts needed? I am sure the man could easily walk out never returning the money...but he didn't. Keep up the good work austallia, hope you won't teach your kids to do the same :D

I would be 99% sure the money will be re-credited to your account after a few days. It has happened to me, the whirring of the money dispenser, the shock, the horror, the anger, the frustration of the following balance check.

Then the relief 48 hours later after the re-credit of funds, with sometimes, a tiny interest accrual depending on money exchange rates.

I don't think this was a scam.

I’ve had problems like this twice in the past few years.

ATM gave a partial amount. The bank took the full amount from my account.

I had to fax the ATM receipt to my bank and a few months later the money was re-credited to my account.

This year the ATM told me my card was damaged and for me to contact the bank. No money received but the amount I had requested was deducted from my account.

I phoned my bank immediately explaining the situation. They re-credited my account but kept the disputed amount frozen for 3 months until they received confirmation from the ATM owning bank that it was a problem with their ATM.

Both times they added a small amount of interest.

I don’t think it’s a scam.

Hello all and thanks for all responses. I am happy to say that as of right now, the 18000 baht charge for the non withdrawal has been removed from my account w/o a formal claim being submitted. The UOB bank never made a claim to the money within the 5 day period. Phew!

Great to hear your good news!!! :o

Hello all and thanks for all responses. I am happy to say that as of right now, the 18000 baht charge for the non withdrawal has been removed from my account w/o a formal claim being submitted. The UOB bank never made a claim to the money within the 5 day period. Phew!

3 cheers for the UOB Bank!

i dont mind useing atm's at home but it worry's me when im travelling so i dont do it.

i got a <deleted> load of money on my visa and im always paranoid that the machine will eat my card.

when i move full time to los i'll get a card with a resonable amount on it so i wont stress so much. :o

Yeah, some of the ATM's around BKK look a bit iffy to me.

2 weeks ago a Krung Thai ATM on Phetkasem Rd ate my K-Bank visa electron. It charged me for the transaction and kept my card and the money. To make things worse, I had no credit to call anyone for help! That is why I was at the ATM in the first place, to take out cash to buy credit from the 711. Anyway, after standing there for 20 mins and kicking the machine afew times, a bank employee must of seen me on the survalence camera ( the ATM was under the bank, but it was at 6pm so the bank was closed ) and came down, opened the machine and returned my card to me. The cash wasnt anywhere in the machine so they just made a report and re-credited my K bank account with the mnoey. I thought it was very strange as I use that ATM quite a lot, but have never had a prob like that before. Then I just used the ATM next to it and got my money out. I also watched a person use the ATM that just ate my card but the got their money out with no problems, so I never could figure out why it happened.

Just for the record, AEON ain't a bank. They are a financial service corporation (providing credit card/loan). So, they charge more fee when you withdraw cash from your bank account on their machines (I think 100 baht).

I had a similar problem wit ATM machine, the ATM did not give me money but it was deducted from my account. I contacted my bank and made a formal complaint, they opened an investigation and the money was returned within 2 weeks.

Talk with your bank. Calmly explain what happened, and ask how you can be refunded.