Anyone have experience using Thai Lion Air?

Razzler1973

I have seen a bit of stuff on the internet, cheap, some complaining about delays (I got plenty of delays on Air Asia before)

Anyone use them recently

Their prices for going to Krabi are about half of Nok Air, what's the catch??

I don't mind 'seats are small' type grips as for an hour and a bit I can handle it. Decent planes? Any hidden charges I need to take into account cause on the surface it's all looking good, to me

Used their service Chiang Mai to Don Muang and return about 8 round trips, adult Thai son, his wife and two kids used them I guess 3 trips. No negatives whatever, no delays experienced.

Website easy to use.

No fee add on for 1 suitcase check in.

Insurance available on website.

Can pay by CC on the website or at 7/11 etc. (Takes less than a minute to pay at 7, the receipt gives all the flight details: date, flight numbers, times etc.)

Check-in focused and professional, in my experience good English every time, staff seem to always listen carefully and give clear answers.

Cabin crew focused and polite and quick to answer any requests, well focused on safety routine etc.

All passengers get a small plastic tub of water and two wrapped cookies, similar to Oreo.

New aircraft very clean.

I know most of my schedule several months in advance and I book early and get great prices.

Good luck.

Edited by scorecard

Used them several time and no problems and avoid Air Asia. At least you would not kicked out from their airplane after you boarded and took your seat. The case is now pending with consumer protection agency in Malaysia as it has been a flight out from Malaysia.

recently, Thai Lion Air has been my airline of choice for domestic travels. I have taken about 4 round trip flights to Chiang Mai (from Don Mueang) since April and every flight has been as satisfying as the other. no delays experienced so far. planes are new (the smell inside the cabin can confirm that), courteous cabin attendants, and dirt cheap fares. you don't get hidden (or add-on) prices when you book - the price you see is what you pay for! you get to select your own seat with 15 kgs of luggage as well, both of which are luxury with Airasia. check in online and you'll spend less than a minute to get your boarding pass, i kid you not. go for it, you won't regret it.

I have never had a problem and regularly use them. The booking is wonderfully simple. They tell you the price and all you need to do to get that is cancel the insurance. No irritating add on screens like Nok Air ans Airasia. Both of those delight in putting screen after screen and add on after add on - even charging for credit card. I can never find out the full price for those two till I put all details in etc etc. Thailion air I can book a flight and pay for it by visa in 2/3 minutes. They keep passenger details so you just pick who is flying and name, age etc is automatically added.entre visa number and done. Book seat 24 hours before and check in. So simple. Would not ues Nok or Airasia unless I had to.

Looked at Airasia first.2 people Phuket to Bangkok. 3160 Baht not a bad price. ..Next checked ThaiLion Air, booked on their site..3233 baht Wow.. Amazing prices. with 15 kilo of luggage for each person for free. Booked but hadn't paid. Found Traveloka site. Phuket to Bangkok through Traveloka, 3019 baht for 2 people. Traveloka give you a further discount over the ThaiLion site. I paid, then downloaded the Traveloka app, and to my surprise I could have got another discount on top with the app deals. Could have got 2979 baht for 2 people return with ThaiLion Air on the traveloka app. Will look there first next time.. If you book ahead, and don't have certain dates to travel on, some deals are amazing. Plus 15 Kilo of luggage a drink and cookies.

Edited by aussiebrian

Used their service Chiang Mai to Don Muang and return about 8 round trips, adult Thai son, his wife and two kids used them I guess 3 trips. No negatives whatever, no delays experienced.

Website easy to use.

Can pay by CC on the website or at 7/11 etc. (Takes less than a minute to pay at 7, the receipt gives all the flight details: date, flight numbers, times etc.)

Check-in focused and professional, in my experience good English every time, staff seem to always listen carefully and give clear answers.

Cabin crew focused and polite and quick to answer any requests, well focused on safety routine etc.

All passengers get a small plastic tub of water and two wrapped cookies, similar to Oreo.

New aircraft very clean.

I know most of my schedule several months in advance and I book early and get great prices.

Good luck.

Cheers

1 bag, free 15kgs like the other budget airlines, isn't it?

I have no issue with Nok Air but Air Asia have tried my patience a few times. I just googled cheap flights and this lot came up, vaguely recall hearing their name so thought I would ask, seems all positive so far thumbsup.gif

I use them, when the price is OK.thumbsup.gif

Only once, a flight attendant annoyed a son of mine and me.

The Thai Visa community shredded me to pieces, I stood alone in my opinion, but at least -Thai Lion Air- apologized. rolleyes.giftongue.png

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/906843-complaint-to-thai-lion-air-about-a-thai-lion-air-flight-attendant-overly-protective-behaviour/

Website easy to use.

New aircraft very clean.

Good luck.

Cheers

1 bag, free 15kgs like the other budget airlines, isn't it?

I have no issue with Nok Air but Air Asia have tried my patience a few times. I just googled cheap flights and this lot came up, vaguely recall hearing their name so thought I would ask, seems all positive so far thumbsup.gif

1 check-in Bag free.

Same on NokAir.

But no free check-in bags on AirAsia.

im overweight, but not obese. I had to use a seatbelt extender on one of their flights, as did a few other people. It was so cramped it was unreal, by far the worst I have ever used, and I've flown all over Asia including budget Chinese lines.

I flew again with them for return, and it was a normal albeit cramped flight. No other issues.

Website easy to use.

New aircraft very clean.

Good luck.

My son just reminded me, I forgot:

- The fare you see for each flight on each day on the LionAir site is full total price, except for any additional luggage or insurance.

- With NokAir for every flight / every day (on their website) there is an initial price but when you click on that flight you then get a full price, usually around 800 to 900Baht more for 'fees and taxes', plus more for: premium seat (your choice to accept or cancel), extra luggage (your choice to accept of cancel), and travel insurance (your choice to accept or cancel). In some countries it's illegal to do it like this.

Overall Lion is my choice.

Edited by scorecard

Is Thai Lion an independent company ?

JUst as T-A-A is a kind of daughter of the main A-A from Malaysia, this one belongs-mostly, due to Thai regulations, to the INDONesian LIONair, which has a rather low rating in general. It has ordered dozens+more of brand new planes and seeks anywhere to deploy them . In Malysia they operate as MALINDO< as they mainly do flights to India from there.

In Indo it has been critisized and also partly been put on a kind of ''blacklist'' due to the general Indo problem: insufficient -for the normal international standards- of pilot training. Also about 1-1,5 yr ago they seemed to have serious financial troubles, leading to many cancellations, but this seems to have overcome by now. I have no idea how this relates to the Thai branch though.

Delays IN TH are not to be feared to much-same as for most other low-cost airlines. IF there are complaints, from what i know not that much more as compared to those others, it has to do with poor english or perhaps general training re saftety etc. of some flight-attendants and poor-or maybe non-handling of real founded problems. Not the general unifnformed humbug that seems to thrive so much here on TV. Yes, they are cheaper as T-A-A, mostly as they offer free check-luggage and some tiny bits of food/drink (often free promotions from some companies).

Looked at Airasia first.2 people Phuket to Bangkok. 3160 Baht not a bad price. ..Next checked ThaiLion Air, booked on their site..3233 baht Wow.. Amazing prices. with 15 kilo of luggage for each person for free. Booked but hadn't paid. Found Traveloka site. Phuket to Bangkok through Traveloka, 3019 baht for 2 people. Traveloka give you a further discount over the ThaiLion site. I paid, then downloaded the Traveloka app, and to my surprise I could have got another discount on top with the app deals. Could have got 2979 baht for 2 people return with ThaiLion Air on the traveloka app. Will look there first next time.. If you book ahead, and don't have certain dates to travel on, some deals are amazing. Plus 15 Kilo of luggage a drink and cookies.

Just realized I failed to say this is return prices for 2.

Both Thai Lion and Nok have 4 or 5 flights each way daily between Ubon Ratchatani and Bangkok. I flew Lion on one return journey early on in their introduction to the route 15 months ago - the shocking landings in non-inclement weather (bouncing and heavy landings respectively) did make me wonder about the experience of their pilots, but I guess that is now an issue broadly with Thai planes in this era of rapid expansion of travel for the masses and plant hire approach seemingly applied to pilots (ie they seem not to be company men any longer).

Seemed very similar to Nok.

I usually book to BKK less than 2 weeks before I fly and within 6 months of starting on the route you can no longer get a promotion priced seat on Lion and their planes are generally full. Nok mostly now travel half full. I worried that Lion were intent on driving competition off the route with aggressive pricing, but Lion have been increasing their prices over the last 6 months so there is now little to choose unless you are booking months in advance and the fact that Lions promo fares sell out more quickly than Nok's makes Nok often cheaper.

Delays are evident now in both companies on the route - function of DM approaching capacity I believe. Last flight out of DM we were apron-bound for nearly an hour - problem looked like they were not using the second runway - probably because some VIP squaddie or monk was using the far side.

Have flown far too much in a long career. I mostly buy on price now and can't be bothered with all this geekish comparison of stuff that hardly matters. Won't fly Air Asia though after they screwed me for another fare because my daughters name was wrong on the booking (my fault using her Thai nickname not her legal first name, but Nok Air just charged me 500 baht to change the name on the connecting flight).

PS you can pay at 711 for Nok and probably other airlines as well - not just a Thai Lion thing as implied by one poster. Easy and 35 baht per booking rather than about 135 baht to use credit/debit card online. Yes - I am geekish - about price!

Haven't seen any surcharge paying with credit card for Thai Lion Air bookings.

Flew them recently UTH-DMK return 3 pax for 3k baht, will not drive for that.

On 4 segments was delayed 1h once.

Have 3 more returns booked, hopefully without further delays...

Both Thai Lion and Nok have 4 or 5 flights each way daily between Ubon Ratchatani and Bangkok. I flew Lion on one return journey early on in their introduction to the route 15 months ago - the shocking landings in non-inclement weather (bouncing and heavy landings respectively) did make me wonder about the experience of their pilots, but I guess that is now an issue broadly with Thai planes in this era of rapid expansion of travel for the masses and plant hire approach seemingly applied to pilots (ie they seem not to be company men any longer).

Seemed very similar to Nok.

I usually book to BKK less than 2 weeks before I fly and within 6 months of starting on the route you can no longer get a promotion priced seat on Lion and their planes are generally full. Nok mostly now travel half full. I worried that Lion were intent on driving competition off the route with aggressive pricing, but Lion have been increasing their prices over the last 6 months so there is now little to choose unless you are booking months in advance and the fact that Lions promo fares sell out more quickly than Nok's makes Nok often cheaper.

Delays are evident now in both companies on the route - function of DM approaching capacity I believe. Last flight out of DM we were apron-bound for nearly an hour - problem looked like they were not using the second runway - probably because some VIP squaddie or monk was using the far side.

Have flown far too much in a long career. I mostly buy on price now and can't be bothered with all this geekish comparison of stuff that hardly matters. Won't fly Air Asia though after they screwed me for another fare because my daughters name was wrong on the booking (my fault using her Thai nickname not her legal first name, but Nok Air just charged me 500 baht to change the name on the connecting flight).

PS you can pay at 711 for Nok and probably other airlines as well - not just a Thai Lion thing as implied by one poster. Easy and 35 baht per booking rather than about 135 baht to use credit/debit card online. Yes - I am geekish - about price!

"Delays are evident now in both companies on the route - function of DM approaching capacity I believe. Last flight out of DM we were apron-bound for nearly an hour - problem looked like they were not using the second runway - probably because some VIP squaddie or monk was using the far side." So lets' be clear, this is not the fault of the airline.

In my post I did mention you can pay the Lion fares at 7/11 but i did NOT suggest it's the only airline that have the 'pay at 7' option.

Yes Lion's parent in Indonesia has had problems. In Thailand they have a Thai business partner (have to by law), maybe (repeat maybe) the Thai partner is pushing for more professionalism all round.

I too have flown hundreds of flights on many airlines in my career and I've had bouncy landings on all of them.

What country do Lion pilots come from? I don't know. Their check-in staff and cabin staff are 99% / maybe all Thai and in my experience overall better English language skills than AA or Nok (especially Nok), and more courteous and have better listening skills & manners.

Edited by scorecard

Two of us flew from Bangkok to Phuket last month (price was good) and no negatives about them at all. Air Asia had a better return price. But I felt that Thai Lion had a better aircraft with more leg room.