Using Credit Card

Of course you can withdraw with a credit card. Just because you have a crappy card doesn't mean other people can't. I can withdraw with credit card and get a bill once a month and only if I don't pay the bill within a certain time frame I'll get charged interest. So essentially, it is like a free loan for 1-2 months.

Can you actually read? I know one can withdraw cash with a credit card but it doesn't come from your current account, it's credit - hence the name. No idea where you are from but withdraw cash from a UK bank issued credit card and you are charged interest from day 1, not at the end of the billing card.

In bkk bank you can "link" you credit card to your current/savings account and then you can withdraw 50,000 per day without fees because it isn't credit, it's money from your own account...

This means if you don't want to carry multiple cards you can just carry the credit card and use it like a debit card without penalty

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/CreditCardType/PlatinumVisaCard/Pages/VisaPlatinumcreditcard.aspx

"Carry fewer cards access your savings/current account

Withdraw up to 50,000Bt per day in cash from your savings or current account. You can also use your Visa Platinum credit card to check your account balance free of charge at Bualuang ATMs. To activate this ATM feature, simply bring to any Bangkok Bank branch your credit card, the passbook of the account you wish to link to your card, and your ID card and complete a service application form."

Of course you can withdraw with a credit card. Just because you have a crappy card doesn't mean other people can't. I can withdraw with credit card and get a bill once a month and only if I don't pay the bill within a certain time frame I'll get charged interest. So essentially, it is like a free loan for 1-2 months.

Can you actually read? I know one can withdraw cash with a credit card but it doesn't come from your current account, it's credit - hence the name. No idea where you are from but withdraw cash from a UK bank issued credit card and you are charged interest from day 1, not at the end of the billing card.

In bkk bank you can "link" you credit card to your current/savings account and then you can withdraw 50,000 per day without fees because it isn't credit, it's money from your own account...

This means if you don't want to carry multiple cards you can just carry the credit card and use it like a debit card without penalty

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/DailyBanking/CreditCards/CreditCardType/PlatinumVisaCard/Pages/VisaPlatinumcreditcard.aspx

Withdraw up to 50,000Bt per day in cash from your savings or current account. You can also use your Visa Platinum credit card to check your account balance free of charge at Bualuang ATMs. To activate this ATM feature, simply bring to any Bangkok Bank branch your credit card, the passbook of the account you wish to link to your card, and your ID card and complete a service application form."

As we were talking about avoiding transaction fees for withdrawals from overseas bank accounts, that's not very helpful (not trying to be rude). I guess it's possible that 'wump' has a setup like that with a bank in his home country but I don't. It's not normal in the UK, as far as I'm aware.

Edited by Mark123456

Thanks for the link, can't recall ever seeing a credit card enabled to w/d cash from a bank account. That's pretty neat!

"...but if I withdraw cash, I have to pay an extra 200 baht to the greedy local banks as well."

Not if you withdraw over the counter at a bank. Including mall banks.

io had a friend on holiday who tried this ,the banks were having none of it and told him to go outside and use the atms ..........

they used to be fine with it ,i use thai cards mainly so it doesnt affect me but i can see them going this way in future if

everyone is coming in to withdraw instead of using the atm to save 200 thb

That is likely because he used a debit card. Credit cards are ok. But then you need the 'right' credit card.

What are you talking about? You can't withdraw money from a bank account with a credit card. If I use my credit card to make a cash withdrawal I will be paying interest on it from day 1. I'm talking about using the ATM/debit cards issued by my bank for use with my current accounts, to withdraw cash from those accounts.

Wow...are you stuck in the twentieth century?

Did I suggest withdrawing cash from a bank account?? Did you get hit on the head as a child?

Allow me to assist you.

Firstly, get a decent credit card; Halifax Clarity or Creation Everyday will do. Then you can withdraw cash over the counter in Thailand.

Then...here is the magic bit....check when the amount appears on your statement via the online interface and then send via online banking an amount to cover your cash advance. No need to wait for a statement to be produced. What are you thinking?

So if you withdraw £300 and waited a month to pay it off, with the Creation CC, you would pay £3 in interest. If just two to three days, 20p to 30p in interest. Welcome to the twenty first century.

If you are an oldie and can't be bothered with all that palaver, get a SAGA Platinum CC and use that to get cash. You'll be charged a flat rate of 2%, but then you don't have to bother about interest, just pay the full statement balance when presented.

Well, putting aside the insult at the beginning of your post, I must admit that sounds like a reasonable proposition. I have a Visa credit card issued by the Nationwide so I'm guessing I could use that over the counter.

Insult? You need to find your sense of humour. Check the cupboards.

As to the Nationwide CC....No!. You weren't paying attention.

I can't apply for another UK credit card while I'm living in Thailand because they want a UK land line number to call.

Have you considered setting up a Bangkok Bank account here, and availing the ACH internet transfer via their London branch?

I can't apply for another UK credit card while I'm living in Thailand because they want a UK land line number to call.

What on earth.....?

They don't need a UK number, they need a UK address. If you don't live there any more, use a family address or get one of them to apply and add you as an additional cardholder.

Creation Everyday

Don't be dopey and expect them to send it to you in Thailand. wink.png

From that page -

To apply for a card you should:

Be able to provide at least one landline telephone number and a valid email address

I have a UK address but nowadays they tend to want to call you before activating credit cards. I suppose I could do it next time I'm over there.

Edited by Mark123456

From that page -

To apply for a card you should:

Be able to provide at least one landline telephone number and a valid email address

I have a UK address but nowadays they tend to want to call you before activating credit cards. I suppose I could do it next time I'm over there.

Since I actually have the card, I know what happens. You call them to activate the card, not the other way around. No one called me, at any time. The number is for perhaps if they ever need to call you in the case of a suspected fraudulent transaction.

Get on with it and stop messing around. smile.png

https://apply.creation.co.uk/microsites/creation_everyday/