Rabies shots, how much does it cost?

Sotoho81

If you've been bitten.... you need not just regular Rabies shots, but you also need a shot of Rabies Immune Globulin into the bite itself... and if that animal was rabid, you have something like only a day or two.... three if you are lucky.. Once symptoms appear... it's too late. Chances will be about 99% that you will die. And it is not an "easy, peaceful" death.

COST OF THE SHOTS SHOULD BE THE LAST THING ON YOUR MIND AT THIS POINT. HOW MUCH IS YOUR LIFE WORTH TO YOU ? ?

Get help NOW ! ! To hell with the cost... Time is of the essence...

When I knew I was going to be spending months in south east Asia..... I got pre-exposure prophylaxis vaccine shots against Rabies before I even left Canada. A series of three shots at the local government Travel Medical Clinic.

Getting those shots does not mean I need no further shots should I get bit.

BUT, If I get bit..... my pre-exposure Rabies vaccination shots give me about 24 - 48 hours longer time to get to a hospital than a person who has not had the shots, and I will only need a further two Rabies vaccination shots, and I WON'T need Rabies Immune Globulin ..which in some areas is hard to find...

I would advise anyone who could come into contact with rabid animals or bats to get Pre-exposure Rabies shots.. But remember if you are bit, you will still need a further two shots...

Edited by Catoni

I would not be shopping around for the cheapest price on rabies shots. Get them immediately if you have been bitten, visibly rabid or not. I understand from various descriptions once the virus starts attacking the nervous system it's one of the worst possible ways to die.

Yes.... horrible way to die. It's not an easy or peaceful death. Sad thing is.... once symptoms appear.... it's pretty well too late...

Before I travelled.... IMOVAX Rabies Vaccine First shot on day one.... second shot on day 7..... last shot thirty days after the second shot.

What does that mean for me ?

1. If bitten.... the pre-exposure shots buy me more time.... at least another 24 hours and up to 48 hours more time to get help than for a person with no pre-exposre Rabies shots.

2. No need for Rabies Immune Globulin..... which can be difficult to find in some isolated areas... some hospitals may simply not have it.

3. Only need two further shots of regular Rabies vaccine...

If you really need to have those shots because you may have been bitten/licked/whatever by a rabid animal do not delay getting them until you have found a better price at the other end of the country.

ABSOLUTELTY !!!!

Rush!

Notrubish had it done yesterday me the Mrsand lad state hospital all free . Lad was lockedin face by poss rabid dog took him straight down doctor said will do the three of us just in case. As it turns out dog not rabid better safe than sorry.

Sorry just re read this I was in a rush that's why it's goobldygook.

Went to small goverment clinic just outside our village yesterday with our boy he had been licked in face by a possible rabid dog. When we got there 2030 ish was seen by doctor she informed us we would all have a one off rabies jab just incase it was free.

cool.png I was really surprised by how many Farangs have have been bitten. Don't forget about the Monkeys. It was quite common in Hua Hin for Tourist to be bitten, scratched or nibbled by the Monkeys ( Be Nice) at the Temple on Khao Takiab.

• 7 months later...
On 7/10/2016 at 9:43 AM, llso said:

cool.png I was really surprised by how many Farangs have have been bitten. Don't forget about the Monkeys. It was quite common in Hua Hin for Tourist to be bitten, scratched or nibbled by the Monkeys ( Be Nice) at the Temple on Khao Takiab.

Yup, got scratched by a monkey on Phra Nang Beach down in Railay last summer. Was minding my business, drinking a beer, and the bugger crept up behind me, jumped onto my shoulders, grabbed the beer and ran off! As he jumped off of me, he scratched my arm just barely, but a little blood appeared so I knew I had to get treatment.

Shots in private clinics in Ao Nang for Rabipur were THB1000 each (I went back to Ao Nang as I had the time and the clinic in Railay East wanted THB3500...). For my third shot, I was in Amsterdam, where it cost me EUR45, plus another EUR20 to see a doctor (they required this). Back home in the States for shots 4 and 5. The cost? US$375 EACH. Insurance would not cover these (and I have a very generous Blue Cross plan...). 'Murica!

Edited by Ralph4878
  • Like 1

Back in September the back ally cat attacked me, went for tetanus shot and first rabbis shot, second Oct 16, third April 16. First shot and tetanus, and exam and anti biotic regime cost ฿179. This was at the local government hospital in Kuchinarai, Kalasin. 20 years before I had, a regime of 4 shots, and the doctor said I didn't need any, but I insisted. The second shot was under ฿100, I get the third in April. The cat is now our pet and, alive and well.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go to your small local government hospital, they give these shots and tetanus all the time

We have four Alsations and their shots are always upto date but my wife was nicked on her leg by one a couple of weeks ago, so just as precaution off to local clinic hospital for her 30batt for the series !!

Go to Bumrungrad and you will get a big bill, stay street wise and save yourself a fortune

Incidentally I buy the dogs shots from a veterinary supplier in town and do them myself and save a lot of money

Edited by al007

:cool: My understanding is If you get scratched, or bitten again if you have already had the series you only need to get a booster shot. With Rsabies even if an infected animal licks you you can get the disease. A Thai Dr. told me that because of the abundance of wild anilala and a tropical climate , Rabies is quite prevalent in Thailand.

• 2 weeks later...

I was bitten by a soi dog at weekend and had immunoglobulin and verorab, second verorab due today and further injections over four weeks. Will this course of post-bite treatment mean that I won't need immunoglobulin in the event of a bite in the future? (I realise I would need some boosters if that was to happen). 

On 3/15/2017 at 3:53 PM, lamyai3 said:

I was bitten by a soi dog at weekend and had immunoglobulin and verorab, second verorab due today and further injections over four weeks. Will this course of post-bite treatment mean that I won't need immunoglobulin in the event of a bite in the future? (I realise I would need some boosters if that was to happen). 

Just got the boosters today, the doctor was very informative. Effectively this means any future animal bites will only require two rabies booster shots (immediately and after three days). Immunoglobulin would not usually be required on a second occasion. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was bitten trying to pull a neighbouring dog off our family pet. One week later that animal is still healthy. I went to Lanna Hosp. where I was quoted Thb 22000 for a course After protesting I was informed that a cheaper serum made from horses was available at Thb 7500 a course. I opted for that and an attempt to dissuade was made because "most people are allergic to it". I insisted and had to pay an extra Thb 1000 for an allergy test, which of course proved negative. I go for my 3rd shot on Friday.

2 minutes ago, Maybole said:

I was bitten trying to pull a neighbouring dog off our family pet. One week later that animal is still healthy. I went to Lanna Hosp. where I was quoted Thb 22000 for a course After protesting I was informed that a cheaper serum made from horses was available at Thb 7500 a course. I opted for that and an attempt to dissuade was made because "most people are allergic to it". I insisted and had to pay an extra Thb 1000 for an allergy test, which of course proved negative. I go for my 3rd shot on Friday.

Money to burn

I believe this thread shows how to have rabies shots almost for free

On 7.7.2016 at 6:50 PM, Sotoho81 said:

I need to get 5 shots, I can get them in Bangkok or in another place where I'd stay for a month. Approximately, how much is a rabies shot in Bangkok and is it much cheaper in Chiang Mai or Samui or about the same? I've heard that it's around 1000 baht per shot, correct?

I just got a series of 5 shots in Khorat for a total of thb 2250 doctor's fee included (done in a private clinic)

Edited by thurien

On 08/07/2016 at 3:46 PM, flyingdoc said:

Rabies shot at a Govt. hospital is very reasonable and dealt with quickly.

Yes. My rabies vaccine was free and dealt with in a timely manner. 

I don't get why farang don't trust government doctors. From my experience with my child and myself they are much better than private. Private have tried to prescribe unnecessary medication to my baby, ruined my thumb, simple miss diagnosed me which has caused long term symptoms for my body, and a doctor who was a neurologist diagnosed a friend with bipolar...which an Aussie doctor has now got her off the medication (lives in Aus now).

I think this is mainly due to the fact many private hospitals contain doctors that weren't intelligent enough to pass the government test. I found one good private baby doctor, she said she was under constraints and to take us on would be kept a secret from our original doctor in the same hospital due to their being many complaints in the hospital that the new doctor doesn't prescribed antibiotics for viral infections.  Ridiculous.

My wife is a department boss in the public health ministry and says there are a few private that are top notch, but generally speaking everyone knows army/government doctors are better. But of course, there is the waiting time.

• Like 1

On 03/03/2017 at 7:16 AM, al007 said:

Go to your small local government hospital, they give these shots and tetanus all the time

We have four Alsations and their shots are always upto date but my wife was nicked on her leg by one a couple of weeks ago, so just as precaution off to local clinic hospital for her 30batt for the series !!

Go to Bumrungrad and you will get a big bill, stay street wise and save yourself a fortune

Incidentally I buy the dogs shots from a veterinary supplier in town and do them myself and save a lot of money

Vaccinate annually or every 3 years? World Small Animals Veterinary Association came to study Thailand and told them to change to 3 years. All vets know this and say annually but when pushed they say it is up to you (big money maker). Just saying in terms of the health of the dogs. 

4 hours ago, wildewillie89 said:

Vaccinate annually or every 3 years? World Small Animals Veterinary Association came to study Thailand and told them to change to 3 years. All vets know this and say annually but when pushed they say it is up to you (big money maker). Just saying in terms of the health of the dogs. 

The whole issue of rabies in Thailand is ridiculous,yes dreadful disease ,but there is none,perhaps around the border areas a report of "suspected" rabies,never confirmed,and if confirmed  other dogs would have it,rabies in not a one off ,but appears in waves,anyway if infected can take up to 19 years to appear in a human,,all long dead from other sources I think  

One other aspect,fake rabies vaccine was widespread a while back,the hospitals,clinics where they dole this stuff out would be quite aware of no rabies in their area,but in it for a quick buck.  Once innoculated with vaccine take the small bottle away ring the manufacturer with batch number for confirmation.  Least you have done is stop them  re-filling it with water

You have got to be kidding me ? Thailand is on the WHO list of countries of rabies being endemic in the animal population !!!  You are sadly an ignorant fool. By the way those private hospital doctors are usually from a gov, hospital, they work there to make real money while keeping their civil service job which has many perks compared to a private doctor.

7 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

You have got to be kidding me ? Thailand is on the WHO list of countries of rabies being endemic in the animal population !!!  You are sadly an ignorant fool. By the way those private hospital doctors are usually from a gov, hospital, they work there to make real money while keeping their civil service job which has many perks compared to a private doctor.

Perhaps a pointer,a clue as to the latest outbreak,human contracted case of rabies in Thailand

Buri Ram declared rabies epidemic zone

By The Nation

The Buri Ram provincial administration Saturday declared the northeastern province a rabies epidemic zone after 23 samples from dogs, cats and water buffaloes have tested positive to the virus.

The declaration order was signed by Buri Ram Governor Anusorn Kaewkungwol at a ceremony to kick start cooperation between six agencies to fight the spread rabies in the province under the theme of Buri Ram’s One Health program. The six agencies are the provincial administration, local administrations, the Buri Ram Livestock office, the provincial public health office, the PR office of the provincial administration and the Buri Ram public health volunteer club.

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30308668

3 hours ago, teddog said:

The whole issue of rabies in Thailand is ridiculous,yes dreadful disease ,but there is none,perhaps around the border areas a report of "suspected" rabies,never confirmed,and if confirmed  other dogs would have it,rabies in not a one off ,but appears in waves...

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30308668

5 hours ago, teddog said:

The whole issue of rabies in Thailand is ridiculous,yes dreadful disease ,but there is none,perhaps around the border areas a report of "suspected" rabies,never confirmed,and if confirmed  other dogs would have it,rabies in not a one off ,but appears in waves,anyway if infected can take up to 19 years to appear in a human,,all long dead from other sources I think  

One other aspect,fake rabies vaccine was widespread a while back,the hospitals,clinics where they dole this stuff out would be quite aware of no rabies in their area,but in it for a quick buck.  Once innoculated with vaccine take the small bottle away ring the manufacturer with batch number for confirmation.  Least you have done is stop them  re-filling it with water

I would have to disagree. Was talking to one of my 3 vets the other day. He said that he was always arguing with the government vet as they weren't reporting rabies cases in dogs so the city looked cleaner. He is quite happy to do 3 year vaccines to my dogs (actually half intelligent) as he knows its sufficient and lose money so no real reason to lie. I had received a dog bite so the comment was more in relation about the post and pre vaccines. 

Not to mention each Tessaban gets a budget each year to vaccinate all the government, temple, dogs with no owners etc. Bit of a waste of government money for the government for something that doesn't exist. 

Also rabies is not expensive, in terms of human treatment. As most people go to  the government hospital. Also majority of people only do the post vaccine, not the pre vaccine in the private hospitals. 

The stats of reported rabies deaths in the country I think debunk your conspiracy theory. Thailand has improved significantly from past years though.

2 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

I would have to disagree. Was talking to one of my 3 vets the other day. He said that he was always arguing with the government vet as they weren't reporting rabies cases in dogs so the city looked cleaner. He is quite happy to do 3 year vaccines to my dogs (actually half intelligent) as he knows its sufficient and lose money so no real reason to lie. I had received a dog bite so the comment was more in relation about the post and pre vaccines. 

Not to mention each Tessaban gets a budget each year to vaccinate all the government, temple, dogs with no owners etc. Bit of a waste of government money for the government for something that doesn't exist. 

Also rabies is not expensive, in terms of human treatment. As most people go to  the government hospital. Also majority of people only do the post vaccine, not the pre vaccine in the private hospitals. 

The stats of reported rabies deaths in the country I think debunk your conspiracy theory. Thailand has improved significantly from past years though.

However, this year the budget has dropped I think. Many people brought their dogs to be vaccinated, however, this year I think it's only 200 doses available. So first in more or less after the government building dogs have been done.

3 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Is true they work in private, but it's more a weaker minority than a majority. And as it is part time so you really need to get your timing right (I have a 2 hour window a week to see our baby doctor).

So far from my experience here, having baby, two dogs bites, appendix taking out, broken thumb, general illness (seeing many doctors). You just need to find the best one and stick to them as there are big gaps in quality. Out of the 20 or so doctors I've seen, 4 government and 1 private i rated. Shock horror, a private even said how ridiculous the mmr vaccine schedule was and hasn't charged us the last two times we saw her. But she spent a lot of time in Australia and apologises a lot for the Thai medical standards. 

3 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

My exp. is only a thai wife nurse in a very large gov hospital for 26 years. I know most of the doctors and people she works with and they all moonlight at private hospitals, but you believe what you want. 

Well we all have different experiences, naturally. My wife is boss of her department with the Ministry of Public Health (level 6 already at age 29, after passing the test at 25 during her masters) so spends a lot of time with regional health directors, doctors, travelling to Malaysia to ASEAN conferences, public health tv news conferences, and now is more local as we have a family. But let's not make this a lame 'my wife is this and not a bar girl' argument as many people do on this forum lol. 

But my standards are a little different coming from a medicine family back home. Hence, why I stated personal experiences, not who I know...

Like I said, they do work there, but usually the good ones don't need to. They have their own clinics. Hence, the weaker minority. And if they do your timing has to be good as it's 'part time'. Don't know why such a pointless topic came into such a defensive answer.

Edited by wildewillie89