inflation is killing me

zeichen

Mark123456 said:"

Yes but it's illegal so how comes it's allowed to be freely discussed (and why the eagerness to introduce the topic in almost every single thread)? Any other illegal pursuits are not allowed to be discussed on the forums so why the exception for this one - is it because so many posters indulge?"

Pray for the lost lambs. We are baa baa bad to the bone.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Milk is under price control and the last increase was in 2012. Most price controlled products are not allowed to rise, specially because the manufacturing cost (according to the government) are lower due to lower fuel costs.

I don't think milk is under price control in Thailand. I see different prices for different brands of milk and milk products. A few years ago when world milk prices skyrocketed, so did Thailand's. Oddly enough, when world prices collapsed. the price of Thai milk and milk products didn't.

If you want to experience inflation take a holiday in Sydney.Start off taking the airport link to the main railway terminal,used to be 65 baht now 442 baht.A small bottle of water costs nearly 200 baht,here 10 baht.Inflation is everywhere but at the moment here its minimal despite drought and the political situation

Yes, that's true. I paid 5 AUD for a small bottle of water in Melbourne's railway station

You were lucky.We were asked to pay $6 AUD (160 baht) at a small cafe near the Opera House,Sydney.I declined and asked "do they still have that stuff that comes out of the tap ?".With a withering look she went and produced it for "free". The fact is Coca Cola has bought out nearly all the competition is Australia and they set the benchmark for pricing.

As for spring fed,organic ,healthy, bla bla bla Its all BS most, as has been revealed, is out of the Sydney water supply (Warragamba Dam ) and put through reverse osmosis just the same as here.

Marketing has hypnotised people into thinking it makes a difference.

Milk is under price control and the last increase was in 2012. Most price controlled products are not allowed to rise, specially because the manufacturing cost (according to the government) are lower due to lower fuel costs.

I don't think milk is under price control in Thailand. I see different prices for different brands of milk and milk products. A few years ago when world milk prices skyrocketed, so did Thailand's. Oddly enough, when world prices collapsed. the price of Thai milk and milk products didn't.

Milk is no way under price control,90% comes from NZ that has a huge dairy industry, like 4.9 m milking cows, thats why NZ Mainland Cheese is such a big seller.

15 years ago I was paying, in Bangkok, 79 baht a large bottle its now around 90. As its imported take into account the exchange rate.

In Oz the 2 major supermarket chains, Woolworths and Coles, are selling milk sometimes $1 AUD a litre...... called a loss leader

You don't need butter, buy the fruit that's cheap.

Limes are at a very low price at the moment, 10bht for 5 large.

Pancakes with lime and sugar.

Cold water with ice and a squeeze of lime.

And a new coffee shop opened last week near me.

Everything is 30bht a cup (or glass).

https://www.facebook.com/banpongcoffee

I need butter: I'm not fond of dry toast.
Buy a can of chickpeas or any bean really just not in a sauce mash them up with spices and flavouring you like

you have a spread, cheap and relatively healthy you will never need butter or cheese again.

Milk is no way under price control,90% comes from NZ that has a huge dairy industry, like 4.9 m milking cows, thats why NZ Mainland Cheese is such a big seller.

15 years ago I was paying, in Bangkok, 79 baht a large bottle its now around 90. As its imported take into account the exchange rate.

In Oz the 2 major supermarket chains, Woolworths and Coles, are selling milk sometimes $1 AUD a litre...... called a loss leader

In no way shape or form does 90% of Thailand's milk come from New Zealand, nor from any other country, Thailand has a buoyant and effective milk industry of its own. Now dried milk, that's a different subject entirely.

EDIT TO ADD:

Thailand is largest milk producer in ASEAN:

http://news.thaivisa.com/thailand/milk-producers-in-thailand-given-support-to-increase-their-competitiveness/37232/

“The country still imports around 50,000 tons of powder milk annually.

Thailand currently exports milk products such as sweetened condensed milk, sterilized drinking milk and evaporated milk to Cambodia, Indonesia, Philippines, Malaysia, Myanmar and other neighboring countries.”

http://www.philstar.com/agriculture/2013/07/07/962397/power-cooperatives-thai-dairy-industry

Edited by chiang mai

Buy a can of chickpeas or any bean really just not in a sauce mash them up with spices and flavouring you like

you have a spread, cheap and relatively healthy you will never need butter or cheese again.

-walk, walking is cheap and relatively healthy. you will never need to buy a car again.

-drink water and imagine it's champagne. it's cheap and relatively healthy you will never drink beer again.

-boil potatoes and add some spices. they are cheap and relatively healthy. why would you crave for a juicy steak?

coffee1.gif

Limes are at a very low price at the moment, 10bht for 5 large.

Pancakes with lime and sugar.

Cold water with ice and a squeeze of lime.

I cook a lot with butter but usually pay about 90 baht for 227grm. Where does OP get 500grm. for 72 baht I wonder. Is that real butter or margarine spread?

I cook a lot with butter but usually pay about 90 baht for 227grm. Where does OP get 500grm. for 72 baht I wonder. Is that real butter or margarine spread?

YOK sell all sorts of cheap and nasty butter in blocks.

You only buy it once.

But why cook with butter when palm oil margarine is 45bht per kilo?

Edited by MissAndry

YOK sell all sorts of cheap and nasty butter in blocks.

You only buy it once.

But why cook with butter when palm oil margarine is 45bht per kilo?

Some of us enjoy quality food which not only tastes great but is good for you.

We use 50/50 NZ butter and EV Olive oil for shallow frying. Coconut oil for deep frying. Extra cost over time is negligible compared with flavour and health benefits.

What a childish comment, Naam. Even after 30K comments on TV, you seem to have learned so little of life in general, or your own personal psychiatry.

I fail to see how a persons post count on a public forum has any bearing on a persons life's experiences.

Nothing childish at all about this, his 31348th post IMO

Every thing said is true.

As for the members ,especially the lady, about not needing butter, and buy this and that cheap option...butt out!!

Not all of us are paupers or have hypogeusia here.

You do as you want, give an opinion, but don't continually force your bizarre beliefs on us.wai2.gif

Edited by garryjohns

What a childish comment, Naam. Even after 30K comments on TV, you seem to have learned so little of life in general, or your own personal psychiatry.

friendly suggestion... before you use an (for you) unfamiliar expression such as "psychiatry" you first look up its definition gigglem.gif

Some of us enjoy quality food which not only tastes great but is good for you.

One could argue margarine is the healthy choice, but I won't.

Vegans would also argue from a different perspective on health and taste grounds.

As for taste, a good cook using margarine produces better tastes than a bad cook using butter.

Edited by MissAndry

Claims that margarine is the healthy choice were discredited a few years ago I believe. The salient point is that some of us like butter so stating it's not essential is irrelevant. Most things we buy in life are not essential.

Edited by Mark123456

Third wife (of 7 years) was Chinese, from Yunnan Province. I watched the prices go up in China far faster and at a greater increase than in Thailand; especially prices in Northern Thailand.

I used to hire Thais at 100 baht a day for labour and now I have to pay 200 baht a day. I figure it is okay. The ban sow used to charge 200 Baht twenty years ago (for a pretty Lass) and now charge 500 Baht. I figure it is okay. Don't get me wrong, I like to complain also, but...a bit of perspective is always good. ;-)

My first visit to CM was in 1923 when a room was 1 baht and houses sold for 10 baht. I just came back yesterday.......

You can imagine my surprise!!!!!

I am surprised that you are still alive .

Jesus, if it was any further out I'd have to bring a passport. smile.png

attachicon.gifIMG_3096.JPG

Follow up to self.. this actually reminds me of a nice coffee shop I visited a couple weeks ago, also crazy far away. But all the more remarkable to find such a nice place (nice building too) nice coffee and snacks. This place is just getting better and better. That was here:

post-64232-0-25884800-1469361372_thumb.j

https://www.facebook.com/cafewoodhouse

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

You don't need toast.

Toasted bacon sandwich, just put the bacon straight out of the frying pan on to the toast.

Bacon fat replaces the need for butter ..... very tasty.

You don't need toast.

Toasted bacon sandwich, just put the bacon straight out of the frying pan on to the toast.

Bacon fat replaces the need for butter ..... very tasty.

for those who love butter nothing replaces butter. what's tasty for one might be disgusting for another one. your suggestions are totally irrelevant. period!

the first time i visited the U.S. i had breakfast in Denny's. to my delight i saw small fried sausages and a little bowl of (what i thought) spicy gravy which i poured over the sausages. after a bite i nearly spit the sausage covered with maple syrup on my plate. then i complained to the waiter that i did not receive the toast i ordered. he pointed to some mushy spongelike something and told me "that's French toast Sir!" speechless i looked around and saw a person at another table spreading jam on scrambled eggs.

then i reeked bah.gif