Fiance visa for USA?

American citizen here. Would like to get my Thai girlfriend over to the USA to stay with me, since I am now there working (we originally met in Thailand a few years ago when I was living there). Incidentally, this isn't her idea, it is mine. We'd both be fine with me living in Thailand, but that isn't the best thing for me right now.

Anyway, my impression is that it would be difficult for her to get a tourist visa. Yeah, I know lots of Thai girls who have gotten them over the years. I also know lots of Thai girls who have gotten denied. I'm no expert, but to whatever extent there is some rationale to it, they seem to look at things that would 'anchor' you to Thailand, such as a job, a baby, etc. She has a job, but not a baby. Bottom line, I don't want to go down a path that doesn't look promising, as it just wastes energy, money, and more importantly time.

How easy are fiance visas to get? I mean, assuming nothing negative in background like criminal records, visa overstays, previous applications for fiance (or other) visas, etc? Are they more easy to get than a tourist visa? if not, why do they exist?

Any recommendations? Any advice?

Thanks.

Do you intend to marry? That is the intent and paperwork is designed to that end. If that is the plan do not believe it will be that hard but there will be time and paperwork involved. Will let someone with recent experience speak to details.

Do you intend to marry? That is the intent and paperwork is designed to that end. If that is the plan do not believe it will be that hard but there will be time and paperwork involved. Will let someone with recent experience speak to details.

Yes we intend to marry. Not because we want to marry in and of itself, we just want to be together. So if this is the way to be together, we will marry. If there is another way (for instance, her getting a 10 year tourist visa or whatever) we would be happy to do that, but my impression is that would be difficult (correct me if I am wrong).

Will check out visajourney.com as well - thanks.

A ten year tourist visa is a tourist visa - individual stays are very much limited - she would not be allowed to say more than a few months at a time. So if you intend to live in USA the fiance visa/marriage and green card are most likely the best path.

I see - thanks very much for the clarification.

I have been reading visajourney. It appears we may have some red flags. For instance, age gap, I haven't met her family, she hasn't met my family, etc. Not sure this is gonna work. I wonder if the better route would be to fly there, marry in Thailand, and then apply for the other visa type? Not sure if the same red flags would apply?

Or, even if it isn't perfect, what if I sponsored a tourist visa? Would the odds be better than a fiance visa with the red flags?

Also. can anyone say whether there is a best (easiest) consulate/embassy to apply to, and whether there is one to avoid?

Edited by sbaker8688

Unless you live in Thailand for last year do not believe overseas filing is an option - it would still have to be processed in USA in the normal processing time of the office used. At least that used to be the case.