Thai designers’ Pha Khao Ma dress wins awards in LA

webfact

Thai designers’ Pha Khao Ma dress wins awards in LA
By Coconuts Bangkok

post_0.jpg
Photo: WCOP

LOS ANGELES: -- A dress by a Thai design team made of the traditional checker-print sarong fabric commonly worn by Thai grandpas in rural areas has scooped up two awards in the 20th World Championships of Performing Arts (WCOPA) in Los Angeles.

Unlike the two bizarre Thailand’s national costumes that have appeared in recent pageants, the “Tuk Tuk dress” and the “Wat Phra Kaew dress” (which was quickly pulled after complaints that it was disrespectful of Buddhism), Thai designers Pikul Choompol and Sarinpat Jundawong have produced something really fashionable.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/07/21/thai-designers-pha-khao-ma-dress-wins-awards-la

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2016-07-21

I agree there should be greater support for the creative arts but there are some local artists and designers who are doing quite well. It is just that you are unlikely to come across them on a forum like this. We have watched with excitement as a young friend of ours has grown into a very successful fashion designer over the years. Here is a link to his FaceBook page. https://www.facebook.com/wonderanatomie

Edited by villagefarang

I have been saying for years that Thais are the worlds best designers. Not just clothes but jewelry and many other products. They just seem to be naturally talented at this and I have always wondered ehen the govetnment or others would wake up and figure out there is huge industry here.

I am very excited to see this finally happen.

Friend of mine use to say that when we are born God touches us on the shoulder and gives us a special talent. Its up to you to figure out what it is.

I predict Bangkok to be a fashion hub and design center in the future with many designers making a very good living.

I have for several years admired the artists too. I have behind me here a picture using charcoal of me and TW done in Hua-Hin . On the walls around are several paintings done in the same town . Then there are the guitar players , more real talent. Lots of talent here ....................just don't let them get behind the wheel of a car.

I must be getting old. I think it looks like exactly what it is. Thais love frilly and girlie designs, and that's what this is, no elegance. no sexuality, no merit.

Winnie

Bare shoulders too, has the PM seen this ? !