Trip To Vientiane

sezzo

I am planning on taking my thai family (only one with a passport) to Vientiane for a few days in January. I will be travelling up that way in my car and wish to take it over the bridge to Laos so we have some way of getting around. I have no problems arranging a visa for myself.

I have been to the Lao embassy website and as usual I got very little information from them in the way of who needs visas, how much for car etc.

So my questions are:

1. Can ID carrying thais go across the border for a few days and what is the process. I have taken some of them across at Chong Mek but only for a few hours at the market using the day ticket.

2, What is the situation with taking kids with no ID across there.

3. Apart from driving on the opposite of the road are there any limitations, costs or problems with taking a car across.

4. Any tips on things to see and do, bearing in mind that I am taking the family

5. Any recommendations for hotels in Vientianne.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

I am planning on taking my thai family (only one with a passport) to Vientiane for a few days in January. I will be travelling up that way in my car and wish to take it over the bridge to Laos so we have some way of getting around. I have no problems arranging a visa for myself.

I have been to the Lao embassy website and as usual I got very little information from them in the way of who needs visas, how much for car etc.

So my questions are:

1. Can ID carrying thais go across the border for a few days and what is the process. I have taken some of them across at Chong Mek but only for a few hours at the market using the day ticket.

3. Apart from driving on the opposite of the road are there any limitations, costs or problems with taking a car across.

4. Any tips on things to see and do, bearing in mind that I am taking the family

Thais w/ID card can get a border pass at the bridge for 3 days for 100 THB (last time my wife went 6 months ago). Actually better doing this than using a Thai passport, since with the passport they'd need a visa (30 bucks).

Stayed quite a bit at the Orchid Guest House on the Mekong (600 THB), not sure if they have rooms big enough for sharing w/kids.

I doubt you can take a car across, not sure though.

Sezzo

here you are topic from the motor forum..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...778&hl=Laos

So my questions are:

Thanks for the info so far guys.

After reading the link from Marcos post I now realise that its not worth taking the car over the border. So my next question is if there are any recommendations for where I can leave the car safely in Nong Khai while I am over in Vientiane. I dont really want to get a hotel there and travel over into Laos everyday especially with having to get a new visa every day.

Thanks again

So my questions are:

Myself, Thai wife and 16 y/o son drove up to Vientiane in late July. Wife and son both used their Thai passports (no visa required) and I with a US passport got the visa at the border for $30.00. We left our car at the secure parking lot which is located about 100 meters befor you get to the Thia immigration post. As you face the bridge it is located on the right side of the road behind a row of shop houses. It's a large fenced in area guarded by dogs at night. Very secure and I think we paid 60 bhat per day. As far as things to do there are several old temples that are interesting, the market and while in the market be sure to go upstairs to see the silver/gold area. They have a museum on Smasenthai road but it was closed when we went but might be worth a visit. Unless you are really into Lao culture you should be pretty bored after a few days.

We stayed at a place called Mali Namphu Guest House and I highly recommend it. Great location. Check out their website: www.malinamphu.com

Also, if you like Indian food try this place. We ate ther several times.

Tajmahal Restaurant, Sethathirath Road. it's behind the National Culture Hall and not far from the Mali Namphu GH.