BMW plans electric car battery factory in Thailand: industry minister

webfact

BMW plans electric car battery factory in Thailand: industry minister

BANGKOK: -- German carmaker BMW Group is considering building a new plug-in hybrid vehicle battery factory in Thailand, the country's industry minister said on Friday.

Construction was likely to start in the middle of next year with an investment of 2 billion baht ($57 million), Industry Minister Atchaka Sibunruang said, adding that the factory would make hybrid vehicles more affordable for Thai consumers.

"Hybrid vehicles are still expensive now but once there is a factory established and batteries are available this will make it affordable for consumers," Atchaka told reporters.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-thailand-autos-bmw-idUSKCN1020FZ?il=0

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2016-07-22

Are the batteries of the hybrid Toyota's not made in Thailand?

Why is bmw building a factory in Thailand and not China? China bought loads of lithium mines around the world to produce batteries. Thailand doesn't have those mines i guess, it's very hard to find lithium batteries in Thailand at all.

it is just a plan at this stage. just like the plan to get all the tourist police speaking english in 6 months there is a fair chance it will fall through. it is potential good news however so need to get it out there. hope the bosses at Bavarian motor works know how to deal with army types. probably still going to be around next year.

Why is bmw building a factory in Thailand and not China? China bought loads of lithium mines around the world to produce batteries. Thailand doesn't have those mines i guess, it's very hard to find lithium batteries in Thailand at all.

Thailand has Lithium mines in the south of Thailand (Phangna). Banchak Petroluem bought a 7% share in a Canada Lithium miner and aims also to set up a Lithium Battery Manufacturing plant in Thailand. There are Lithium mines in Indonesia owned by Aussie mining companies.

Siam Battery Electronic manufactures lithium batteries as do N.E.C. Tokin (Thailand) Co Ltd

Thailand has Lithium mines in the south of Thailand (Phangna). Banchak Petroluem bought a 7% share in a Canada Lithium miner and aims also to set up a Lithium Battery Manufacturing plant in Thailand. There are Lithium mines in Indonesia owned by Aussie mining companies.

Siam Battery Electronic manufactures lithium batteries as do N.E.C. Tokin (Thailand) Co Ltd

Oh i see, well last week i wanted to buy a big lithium battery but only found one thai company online who didn't show their prices. Then on ebay there are loads of company's who all show prices so i ordered it from China via ebay.

But also for powertools Thailand is still in beginning phase of using/selling them, Makita 18V is only in Thailand since a few years now while i allready use them for a decade.

I would like to know the reason for BMW to open a factory in Thailand, it's not for their reputation of making high quality products i guess.

Also i wonder if their are known problems for using big batteries in Thailand since it's so warm. Toyota gives 10 years warranty on their hybridcarbatteries, i doubt if BMW also dares to do so.

it is just a plan at this stage. just like the plan to get all the tourist police speaking english in 6 months there is a fair chance it will fall through. it is potential good news however so need to get it out there. hope the bosses at Bavarian motor works know how to deal with army types. probably still going to be around next year.

"......... hope the bosses at Bavarian motor works know how to deal with army types."

post-9891-0-42659100-1469182088_thumb.jp

I think they have a pretty good idea on how to deal with army types, don't you?

"......... hope the bosses at Bavarian motor works know how to deal with army types."

attachicon.gifss2bmw.jpg

i thought they lost both times.

OMG you really think BMN execs toss a coin and hope for the best ?

attachicon.gifss2bmw.jpg

i thought they lost both times.

Most recently against France.

had not put much thought into if they were tossers or not. was actually just an attempt at a joke referencing the last 2 world wars. ironically this would probably be lost on most germans as they are consistently voted the voted the least funny in the world.

Oh i see, well last week i wanted to buy a big lithium battery but only found one thai company online who didn't show their prices. Then on ebay there are loads of company's who all show prices so i ordered it from China via ebay.

But also for powertools Thailand is still in beginning phase of using/selling them, Makita 18V is only in Thailand since a few years now while i allready use them for a decade.

I would like to know the reason for BMW to open a factory in Thailand, it's not for their reputation of making high quality products i guess.

Also i wonder if their are known problems for using big batteries in Thailand since it's so warm. Toyota gives 10 years warranty on their hybridcarbatteries, i doubt if BMW also dares to do so.

BMW already have a production facility in Thailand so i am sure they are aware of the climate. Just out of interest how is your Lithium battery being delivered from China ?

had not put much thought into if they were tossers or not. was actually just an attempt at a joke referencing the last 2 world wars. ironically this would probably be lost on most germans as they are consistently voted the voted the least funny in the world.

WW2 finished 1945. They would be dead bosses so your humor isn't apparently obvious but I get your attempt.

Several reasons, mainly Thailand has a large auto industry. Also China has issues with reliable electric supply in many regions, whereas Thailand has reliable electric supply, good logistics and support companies for industrial manufacturing.

BMW already have a production facility in Thailand so i am sure they are aware of the climate. Just out of interest how is your Lithium battery being delivered from China ?

By boat