Eyeglasses - buyer beware

Don Mega

so old age is getting to me so reading glasses were needed.

went into my local branch and got tested and then to select frames. I mention that they are all very expensive but they lady told my buy one get one free which I thought made the cost feasible and I could keep one pair at home and the other for work.

picked them up this afternoon and my first selection are perfect, I then tried on the other pair only to discover they still had the display clear lenses in them. I asked the lady about this and her reply was second frames are free but the lenses cost an extra Bt.3000 !!

Clearly not buy not a buy one get one free deal.

A company that blatantly rip-offs customers with false advertisement is best to avoid.

Edited by Don Mega

Guess you went to get tested but you can check yourself at any shop such as MaxValue/Tesco/Big C and just about every shopping area and will not cost more than a couple hundred baht for a pair? No need for optical shop to buy these if just normal reading glasses.

Guess you went to get tested but you can check yourself at any shop such as MaxValue/Tesco/Big C and just about every shopping area and will not cost more than a couple hundred baht for a pair? No need for optical shop to buy these if just normal reading glasses.

yeah i did . my bad ive never had anything to do with glasses so went to a glasses place, next time I'll go to the grocery store instead.

It a good idea if getting up in age to check at hospital with real doctor - they can also provide prescription and the cost would likely be a lot less than the high pressure deals of those chain stores. You do want to know if there are issues and a little prevention can save your sight.

It a good idea if getting up in age to check at hospital with real doctor - they can also provide prescription and the cost would likely be a lot less than the high pressure deals of those chain stores. You do want to know if there are issues and a little prevention can save your sight.

bit late now but I hear ya, have spent 5k on this crap and tomorrow they will smashed into the shop front

Sears,Lense Crafters and many others in the U.S. run the same sales. Always frames only but I guess if people need reading glasses that badly then it's easy to miss the fine print.

the fine print must have been on the sales ladies ass cause it sure was not printed anywhere. infact the 2for 1 deal was not either..was something mentioned after /I said the frames were a bit expensive. Edited by Don Mega

Sears,Lense Crafters and many others in the U.S. run the same sales. Always frames only but I guess if people need reading glasses that badly then it's easy to miss the fine print.

the fine print must have been on the sales ladies ass cause it sure was not printed anywhere. infact the 2for 1 deal was not either..was something mentioned after /I said the frames were a bit expensive.

So maybe you need an hearing aid as well then biggrin.png

Remember my missus needed a glasses not too long ago. We went to another shop than top charoen but yes there was a price for the frame and a different price for the lenses abt 1,500 and 2,500 resp. Total 4,000 so I can imagine if there is a 2 for 1 deal going on that it is for the frame only.

Glasses worldwide are overpriced because most glasses are made by one manufacturer that is majority-owned by a greedy Italian billionaire - who made his fortune by forcing the rest of us to pay through the nose for a few dollars worth of plastic. You can read about it here:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anaswanson/2014/09/10/meet-the-four-eyed-eight-tentacled-monopoly-that-is-making-your-glasses-so-expensive/#5eac67be4dc8

One solution is to buy them online at a place like this - until this monopoly is cracked:

http://www.zennioptical.com/

Topic Title Edited. Forum Rule -

) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

PM the OP for details