An open letter to Thai landlords

18 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Holy Jesus Christ almighty, holy motherluvin deity of all that is crunchy and winsome. There's no way with you, is there? This. This. THIS. THIS!

No matter what I do you'll never grab the stick, never mind the right end of it. You win. I'm out. If you were a student I'd have failed you by now. You're unteachable. You won't read, but you won't stop "replying" - inverted commas, because none of your "replies" show any awareness of what the other person has offered. 

I'm out. You win. Did you go to Stonelaw school in Rutherglen, near Glasgow? I'm quite good at spotting the damage done by different failing institutions, and you scream Stonelaw. 

so how much...?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Yeah. I didn't think you'd put your mouth where your money was.

I'm guessing you paid an embarrassing amount over the odds. 

Shagmegently! You don't even understand the meaning of stock cliches. "..put your money where your mouth is" means "hazard something on the claims you make". So if I say BAE's share price will rise (Neil Woodford sold out) then putting my money where my mouth is would involve buying the shares. 

This is the web. I could say anything about what I paid this summer. It isn't relevant. If I said 12,000 you'd say, "What a knob paying that kind of money fora hutch", and if I said 3,500 you'd say, "And you want to complain about the furnishing?"

Honestly mate, whatever, you're right. I hope it all works out for you. A quick click on your name reveals a long-standing tendency on your part to join in a thread, fail to read, and keep posting long after everyone's sick of you. Fine. Chook dee. 

18 minutes ago, Craig krup said:

Shagmegently! You don't even understand the meaning of stock cliches. "..put your money where your mouth is" means "hazard something on the claims you make". So if I say BAE's share price will rise (Neil Woodford sold out) then putting my money where my mouth is would involve buying the shares. 

This is the web. I could say anything about what I paid this summer. It isn't relevant. If I said 12,000 you'd say, "What a knob paying that kind of money fora hutch", and if I said 3,500 you'd say, "And you want to complain about the furnishing?"

Honestly mate, whatever, you're right. I hope it all works out for you. A quick click on your name reveals a long-standing tendency on your part to join in a thread, fail to read, and keep posting long after everyone's sick of you. Fine. Chook dee. 

it's totally 'relevant' as you get what you paid for and you not simply telling us speaks volumes dear boy.... volumes!

1 hour ago, Craig krup said:

I could say anything about what I paid this summer. It isn't relevant. If I said 12,000 you'd say, "What a knob paying that kind of money fora hutch", and if I said 3,500 you'd say, "And you want to complain about the furnishing?" 

People are telling you that you get what you pay for, but you keep telling us that it’s stupid landlords that just have no business sense.

So what you pay is certainly relevant to the discussion. Imagine I complain that all clothes sold in Thailand is utter crap and not made to last, you’d want to know if I buy 50 baht shirts at a street market or 1,000 baht shirts at a department store.

If you rent a room at 3,500 baht/month you get what most Westerners would consider “crap”, though for many Thais, not only do they not have the budget for better, it actually fits their needs pretty well, as they don’t want armchairs from IKEA.

Price is of course very dependent on location, but for a decent location I’d say that even at 12,000 baht/month, you should not expect “Western comfort”, even though I know some on this forum claim to have excellent condos at lower prices. Personally I’m not even going to look at anything for less than 20,000 baht/month, but then, I also want at least 45 sq.m. and closer to 60 sq.m., and I bring my own office desk and chair.

I have to break a little bad news, OP, so prepare yourself for a bit of a shock.

You're in a pokey room with a stupid over-sized bed because you mistakenly booked yourself a short time hotel room.

That thing that looks like it belongs in a gym doesn't actually belong in a gym.

Well I hope you got the coloured lighting.

I do find it strange that studio apartments always have a huge king size bed. You'd think a Queen or a Double would suffice and be cheaper. Thai's usually eat, entertain, or what ever on the floor so a room with no chair makes sense. Setting up a network of wifi routers can be expensive and technically beyond their scope so that is understandable. You could buy your own and ask the landlord if you can bridge it (if you know how).

I will take one more shot, since me and few others are having good too much fun to stop.

Here, in the OP's favorite format is his logic:

1. My small condo is furnished in a manner I find inappropriate for me.
  2. Therefore: 
  3. Most Thai landlord's have no idea how to furnish a condo for rent.

TH 

19 minutes ago, thaihome said:

I will take one more shot, since me and few others are having good too much fun to stop.

2. Therefore: 

TH 

well I think the OP is keeniow and get's what he pays for however... I think anyone would be stupid to rent from a Thai as they have NO CLUE how to furnish a condo for rent and that is TRUE

On 8/17/2016 at 11:44 AM, thaihome said:

2. Therefore: 

It’s actually worse because one of the suggestions from the OP was to reduce the bed size (so that there is more space for walking around or adding an armchair).

A king size bed in Thailand is 3.6 sqm., reducing it to a single bed would (best case) give us an extra (rectangular) 1.8 sqm. next to the bed. Is that really going to make any practical difference on how “spacious” the place feels?

Worse though, a condo with only a single bed is unfit for couples or anyone with an occasional bedmate (or a desire for one).

This isn’t about subjective preferences, it is simply limiting the number of potential customers!

According to the OP there is no shortage of available condos for rent, so the logical thing is not to limit your number of potential customers when they are already in high demand.

Of course if you had data showing that condos with single beds were more attractive to the average renter, but I sincerely doubt that, despite your constant appeal to yourself as an authority.

Come on any one with half an ounce of planning would scour the net for a room, closet, whatever that suites your needs , so why the bitching ? I cannot , as a 68 year old get me head, heart ,brain around the "youngster" of today .. Everything seems to need to be done for them, they don't have the ability to think or plan for themselves. Ok let's put the baite out on the fishing line. I have a condo in BKK that is well designed with TrueVisions and Internet TV, really upmarket with double bed, and a second bedroom ,beautiful kitchen and available for 20 k a month, just contact me. BUT I want six months rent in advance and signed pictures of the day yo take it over , oh by the way minimum rental is 24 months interest has now plummeted !