Thai Tom Yam Kung Restuarants In Malaysia Finance Separatists

george

Thai Tom Yam Kung restuarants in Malaysia finance separatists - PM

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont revealed that Thai Tam Yam Koong restaurants in Malaysia have financed movements of insurgents that involved in daily violence in the three southernmost provinces of Thailand.

The network of the restaurants have collected the money by blackmailing and demanding for protection fees from local businessmen and channeled the sum to the militants.

Surayud said the government is attempting to break down the network in order to cease the series of violence in Narathiwat, Pattani and Yala provinces.

There are hundreds of Thai Tom Yam Kong stalls and restaurants along the border, mostly in Kotabaru city of Kelantaru, as well as in Malaysia's capital of Kuala Lumpur.

Most of the restaurants were owned by Thai Muslims from the troublesome provinces of Thailand.

--The Nation 2006-11-21

Contemplate this story for a while and your mind will boggle.

Here are some points that popped into mine.

Are we to surmise that in between chopping the lemongrass and peeling the shrimps the cook nicks off to extort some dosh out of a passing local businessman.

If so, the Tom Yam Goong bit is just a cover.

If so, why reveal this info in the press.

Why haven't the Malaysian authorities been asked to assist.

How exactly does the blackmail work "You've been surreptitiously eating non-halal Thai tucker. Hand over 10 Roops." "You've got me bang to rights, guv. And this is a Singha beer too, have 20."

Why not extort money from Thais. Many might willingly hand over the wedge and many others might cr*p themselves so much they'll be very happy to pay protection money.

All in the surreal world of Thai politics.

Why haven't the Malaysian authorities been asked to assist

malaysia is heavily financed by iran

so maybe the thai government is using another more polite tactic by blaming the malay chinese mafia for these attacks, which can never explain the fear factor and disintergration of budhism in the deep south which is a well known modern tactic of islamic seperatists to drive out other dominate religions in the area they are attacking.

so maybe the thai government is using another more polite tactic by blaming the malay chinese mafia for these attacks, which can never explain the fear factor and disintergration of budhism in the deep south which is a well known modern tactic of islamic seperatists to drive out other dominate religions in the area they are attacking.

Please show your sources for Iran funding Malaysia and where the Chinese mafia are being blamed for the attacks.

Please show your sources for Iran funding Malaysia and where the Chinese mafia are being blamed for the attacks.

Seconded

What a way to start the day! I am p1ssing myself laughing at this one.

This is worthy of dear old Gen, Chavalit Yonkdyplonk "The Clown Prince of Thailand".

Benny Hill and Mr Bean together couldn't have put together a better script.

Tom yam stalls financing cross border terrorism? :o:D:D:D

I'll stick to mee goreng mamak in future, you never know what these fuzzy wuzzies put in the sup.

It's the drums Carruthers, those damm incessant drums, oh and the heat!

Please show your sources for Iran funding Malaysia and where the Chinese mafia are being blamed for the attacks

it seems that people are so blinkered

you guys never ever knew that iran is a huge financier of malaysia?

come on, you not that dumb.

the thai authorities for weeks have been trying to blame various groups like vengefull ex-southern ministers, or malay-chinese mafia for the insurgents.

it is easier to blame these sort of groups rather than directly associate the attacks with foreign governments.

Please show your sources for Iran funding Malaysia and where the Chinese mafia are being blamed for the attacks

it seems that people are so blinkered

you guys never ever knew that iran is a huge financier of malaysia?

come on, you not that dumb.

No I'm not that dumb. I'm smart enough to be able to quote sources when making accusations.

If it's that obvious, show where you get your information.

well you must be a little on the dumb side if you really believe the PR

did the phillipino authorities ever blame islamic attacks on food shops

did the indonesian authorities ever blame islamic attacks on food shops(dont forget indonesia is still 35% christian and hindhu

NO NO

the situation is getting very close to a war in the south. they are attacking budhism which is a religion which always allows other religions to exist in harmony.

if you think think that iran is some sort of back water state then you are dumb.

all islamic states are heavily financed by the top tier islamic states which is saudi arabia and iran.It is in the Khoran for those to spread the wealth between all other islamic states and help finance and promote islam in all areas of this world who have yet to find the faith of mohammed.

they do this in a number of ways, government bonds, loans, project finacing.it just the same way as japan is a large investor in thailand and other south asia countries due to the after affects of the damage done from their wartime expolits.

so i am saying the PR gurus of thailand find it a little easier to blame everyone else and not confront any actual governmets.

I love it..............

Chinese mafia? Well let's see, the Chinese are Buddhist and if anything like their brethren in the Italian mafia or American mafia deeply religious (Absolved of sin on Sunday back to work on Monday). Why would they be involved eradicating their fellow Buddhists across the border?

Iran is supporting Islamists in Indonesia. Now inasmuch as Malaysia is a very moderate state (Allows alcohol consumption etc.) I would think IF Iran were supporting any insurgency, the target would be the Malaysian government in an effort to make them another Islamic Republic. The South of Thailand is peanuts with absolutely nothing to gain for Iran or Malaysia.

well you must be a little on the dumb side if you really believe the PR

Ok newbie troll, I'll try typing slowly so that you can understand me.

I never once said I agreed or disagreed with your story.

I simply asked you to back up your point by citing credible sources.

Cite –verb (used with object), cit‧ed, cit‧ing.

1. to quote (a passage, book, author, etc.), esp. as an authority: He cited the Constitution in his defense.

2. to mention in support, proof, or confirmation; refer to as an example: He cited many instances of abuse of power. dictionary.com

Edited by cdnvic

The South of Thailand is peanuts with absolutely nothing to gain for Iran or Malaysia

this is not about greed of money

it is about spreading the faith of islam.

and i am not another newbie, just a guy who has been on this site for many a year using another name.

i will pay anyones expenses to travel to the borders of thai and malay and say to the the thai budhists whose family members have been murdered or blown up. that they strongly agree that the blame for these attacks is at the hands of tom yan goong food shops. and not seperatists financially backed by foreign wealthier islamic states, THEN IF YOU MANAGE TO STAY ALIVE DURING YOUR STAY i will personally buy you a bottle of champagne when you arrive in bkk.

THATS ALL THE PROOF YOU WILL NEED

IF YOU HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT.

The South of Thailand is peanuts with absolutely nothing to gain for Iran or Malaysia

this is not about greed of money

it is about spreading the faith of islam.

and i am not another newbie, just a guy who has been on this site for many a year using another name.

i will pay anyones expenses to travel to the borders of thai and malay and say to the the thai budhists whose family members have been murdered or blown up. that they strongly agree that the blame for these attacks is at the hands of tom yan goong food shops. and not seperatists financially backed by foreign wealthier islamic states, THEN IF YOU MANAGE TO STAY ALIVE DURING YOUR STAY i will personally buy you a bottle of champagne when you arrive in bkk.

THATS ALL THE PROOF YOU WILL NEED

IF YOU HAVE THE BALLS TO DO IT.

Well now goodness,

As I write, I am in Islamic Republic of Afghanistan. Not in the suburbs of Kabul, but in Kandahar, read any newspaper clipping about our insurgency and you will see it posted from Kandahar. If you doubt my location, ask the mods to give you my IP address!

Your barking up the wrong tree chief! This insurgency is economic........... anybody deemed in bed with Bangkok is on the list, be they Buddhist or Muslim. The reason the Buddhist are taking so many hits is that they have the jobs in the public sector. The ethnic Malay population has been minimized by the past governments in Bangkok and want significant change.

As to your offer, I will be back home in January, and I will gladly go with you, If you have the balls! I am in a worse place in worse danger daily than anywhere in Thailand so this will be a stroll in the park. I only fly First class by the way!

By the way, I prefer California Champagne, not that French crap........ :o

http://www.jinsa.org/articles/articles.htm...0,655,1701,2802My Webpage

a good understanding on who is backing the thai seperatists from the start of this disgusting war against thai budhists.

NO MENTION OF TOM YUNG KUNG SHOPS

but then again no blame as yet to the murder of the head of the christians in lebanon yesterday on a flying pitta bread from a humous food stall.

Your barking up the wrong tree chief! This insurgency is economic........... anybody deemed in bed with Bangkok is on the list, be they Buddhist or Muslim. The reason the Buddhist are taking so many hits is that they have the jobs in the public sector. The ethnic Malay population has been minimized by the past governments in Bangkok and want significant change.

As to your offer, I will be back home in January, and I will gladly go with you, If you have the balls! I am in a worse place in worse danger daily than anywhere in Thailand so this will be a stroll in the park. I only fly First class by the way!

The reasons for the insurgency are complex and include ethnic, economic, and religious dimensions. Jeez, the entire population of Thailand who reside outside Bangkok have been economically minimized to some extent, so pick a number and wait in line. To proclaim a single cause is too over simplify a complex world. It is such naive thinking that is probably the reason there is currently a need for you in Kandahar. And nobody gives a rat's derriere where you fly on an aeroplane or how large you imagine your kallam to be.

PM reveals insurgents' financial support supplied by Tom Yum Kung

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont affirms that “Tom Yum Kung”, a network of Thai restaurant franchises, has been providing financial support to underground insurgent groups in the Deep South.

The premier disclosed that the latest tactics that insurgents are harbouring on include creating an atmosphere of fear on Thai-Buddhists residing in the Deep South and obstructing communication between states officials and the residents. Gen Surayud advised that one of the key factors in dousing the southern flames is for the media to play In response to the strategy, he has urged the media to play a key role in creating better understanding among Thai people and that Thais can leave in harmony regardless of their background or religion.

He said that insurgents aim to use difference in religion and history as main tools in creating chaos and hatred amongst Thais. However, the Bannangsata (บันนังสะตา) Thai-Muslims’ visiting Thai-Buddhist people currently staying at Nirotsangkaram (นิโรธสังฆาราม) Temple shows the close ties of both Thai groups.

As for the violent solutions, he insisted that the government will stick onto peaceful means to end the unrest situation. Negotiations will be applied to relieve officials and people's pressure.

Following the financial support from “Tom Yum Kung” network, the premier revealed that the matter will be tabled in the special Cabinet meeting this Thursday.

In regards to the Kresae (กรือเซะ) case, Justice Ministry is considering the matter without any bias. According to Justice Permanent Secretary Jarun Pukditanakul (จรัญ ภักดีธนากุล), he said that his ministry has dispatched officials to collaborate with Southern Border Provinces Administrative Center (SBPAC) and local security units to seek ways to regain local residence’s confidence. However, he said that the action needs time.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 November 2006

PM to explain trouble in deep South tomorrow

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont will explain the violence problems in the deep South following the special Cabinet meeting tomorrow (Nov 23).

Gen. Surayud today refused to talk about the details of a network of hot and sour shrimp soup restaurants and food vendors that are funding the unrest activities in the three southern border provinces of Thailand. He also declined to comment on the interview of Bersatu President Wan Kadir Che Wan who claimed that the Thai Prime Minister was propagating when he apologized to the southern locals.

Prime Minister Surayud only said he will give an interview on this issue tomorrow following the special Cabinet meeting tomorrow at 5 PM.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 22 November 2006

PM'll detail information over Tom Yam Kung stalls this afternoon

PM said he confirms his claims Thai restuarants in Malaysia have funded insurgents activities. Malaysia described it as PM's imaginative thinking.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont confirmed again Wednesday his revelations that Thai restaurants in Malaysia finance separatists movement that is responsible for daily violence in the southern provinces.

"I will open up all details this afternoon [Wednesday]," Surayud told reporters.

Surayud claimed on Tuesday that Thai tom yam kung restaurants in Malaysia, along the border and in Kuala Lumpur, have funded insurgency activities in the trouble south.

Malaysia's Deputy Security Minister <deleted> Ah Kiow described the allegation as "baseless," the New Straits Times reported.

"It is very imaginative of him. It is absolutely baseless. These restaurants are owned by Malaysians and Thais," the newspaper quoted him as saying.

Another junior security minister, Johari Baharom, demanded Thailand show proof of the allegation.

"If this is true, we will investigate. But they must come to us with information first," he was quoted as saying.

Husam Musa, state public administration, finance and economic planning committee chairman in the northeastern Kelantan state that borders Thailand, rebuked the allegations.

"I think the stall operators, who are mainly Thai Muslims, would only be sending back money to their families, not for the purpose alleged by Surayud," he said.

Thai restaurants owners also criticised Surayud.

"We are working to earn an honest living, not wrecking the lives of others," one was quoted as saying.

Residents in Thailand's southernmost provinces are mostly ethnic Malay and Muslim, sharing more culturally with their neighbours across the border than with the rest of Buddhist Thailand.

Source: The Nation - 22 November 2006

Tom yum kung claim too hot for Malaysia

Prime Minister Surayud Chula-nont's claim that "tom yum kung" restaurants had been pressured into funding insurgents in the far South was too hot to swallow in Malaysia, where officials and local Muslim leaders lashed out yesterday. They said the allegation was baseless, would harm the Thai business - and not help to bring peace to the strife-torn zone.

"It is very imaginative of him. But it is absolutely baseless. These restaurants are owned by Malaysians and Thais," Malaysia's Deputy Security Minister <deleted> Ah Kiow, was quoted in the New Straits Times as saying.

Prime Minister Surayud said on Tuesday that militants had collected money from tom-yum-kung stalls and restaurants across the border through blackmail and demands for protection fees - and channelled it to separatists in the deep South.

Malaysian officials demanded the Thai government show proof to back up the allegation.

"If this is true, we will investigate. But they must come to us with information first," another junior security minister, Johari Baharom said.

Mr Husam Musa, finance and economic planning committee chairman in the northeastern Kelantan state that borders Thailand, also rejected the claim.

"I think the stall operators, who are mainly Thai Muslims, will only be sending back money to their families and not for the purpose alleged by Surayud," he said.

Interior Minister Aree Wongsearaya defended the premier, saying that not all "tom yum kung" restaurants in Malaysia were involved in funding insurgent activities.

"I don't think the prime minister meant that all 'tom yum kung' restaurants were involved in the financing [of militants]. It is likely that he meant some of them," Aree said.

"I believe that PM's statements on the matter were accurate as he had discussed them with Malaysia's Prime Minister Abdullah Badawi before. Therefore his statements were not surely baseless as claimed," the minister said.

Local Muslim leaders in the three southernmost provinces said the prime minister's statement contained unclear information. They feared the remarks may harm the business and Muslim workers.

The Thai restaurant business in Malaysia generated income for many people who sent the remittance home, said Kusdi Kubaha, deputy chairman of the Pattani Muslim Association.

Nimu Makajeh, former deputy chairman of Yala Provincial Islamic Committee, said the prime minister should give more accurate information about who was involved in funding the violence at home so people could challenge those involved directly.

Abdulaji Awaesumae, president of the Narathiwat Tourism Business Association, said the premier's statement would create trouble for Thai restaurants as Malaysian authorities might want to keep a much closer eye on them.

Dr Waemahadee Waedaoh, a member of the National Legislative Assembly from Narathiwat, said he would raise the issue in parliament today and suggest setting up a panel to look into the matter.

Source: The Nation - 23 November 2006

Army Chief unsure “Tom Yum Kung” 's financial aid to insurgent groups

Army Chief indicated that authorities still cannot conclude that the “Tom Yum Kung” restaurant chain in Malaysia has sponsored insurgent groups in the deep South.

Following news that the “Tom Yum Kung” restaurants in Malaysia has been supporting separatists in the Southern-most provinces, Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Thai Army and Chairman of the Council for National Security Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin said according to Muslim practice, tax paid by the restaurants can be used as donation. However the Thai authorities still cannot identify where the donation has led to.

He added that if Kuala Lumpur wants to show sincerity, it should investigate the case further to find out where the donation has been channeled to. If the donation happens to be channeled to an insurgent group, the Malaysian government needs to reassess the impact of the religious donation. In Principle, the donation has to be paid to the government treasury or it can be given to other members in a family.

Gen.Sonthi said further that he has not discussed this issue with Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont yet but expected that the premier would call a meeting of relevant units to find solutions to the problem.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 November 2006

ACM Chalit urges officials to investigate

The Royal Thai Air Force Commander-in-Chief and Council for National Security (CNS) Vice Chairman, ACM Chalit Pukpasuk (ชลิต พุกผาสุข), said that officials are investigating into the alleged financial support to the southern insurgents’ by “Tom Yum Kung” restaurant network.

In response to news claiming that Thai entrepreneurs of restaurants under “Tom Yum Kung” network have been extorted, he said that officials are verifying the news and if true, actions will be taken to curb it.

He said information accuracy is vital as it may affect bilateral relationship between Thailand and Malaysia.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 23 November 2006

JI claim disputed by Pulo chief

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont talks to Angkhana Neelaphaijit, wife of missing Muslim lawyer Somchai Neelaphaijit, after accepting her letter asking for his assistance in expediting Somchai’s case.

Cracks within the Malay separatist movements emerged Wednesday, as leaders of two long-established groups disagreed over whether insurgency in southern Thailand had been infiltrated by the al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah (JI) extremist network.

Kasturi Makota, foreign-affairs chief of the Pattani United Liberation Organisation (Pulo), dismissed suggestions that JI or al-Qaeda had any role in the ongoing attacks against Thai security forces in the Malay-speaking southernmost provinces.

He said the insurgency "has nothing to do with JI or al-Qaeda. This is an issue of the Pattani-Malay people. We strongly deny such allegations."

Kasturi was referring to a recent interview on Arab television-news channel Al-Jazeera in which Bersatu leader Wan Kadir Che Man claimed the JI network had been helping militants in the Muslim-majority South.

Al-Jazeera reported on its website yesterday: "Wan Kadir admits that many of the activities of these younger groups are facilitated by groups such as al-Qaeda-linked Jemaah Islamiyah, or JI, which now has a presence in the South."

The website quoted Wan Kadir as saying, "I think that many of the groups are there, but maybe they are not directly involved." Wan Kadir could not be reached for comment.

Kasturi also accused Wan Kadir of overstepping his role, saying the former academic resigned from Bersatu about two years ago.

"I'm confused by Wan Kadir's statement, because it is our understanding he has resigned as president of Bersatu. Wan Kadir is not in a position to speak on our behalf," Kasturi said.

He said the Bersatu that emerged about a decade ago to serve as an umbrella organisation for different Malay separatist movements was not functioning at the moment.

However, Kasturi said Pulo would like to see Bersatu start up again and take on a similar role.

"Reviving Bersatu, or something like it, is something for the future. At the moment, Bersatu as we knew it has ceased to function. Pulo is concerned with Pulo's activities," Kasturi said.

In the interview with Al-Jazeera, Wan Kadir urged the Thai government to establish formal negotiations with the separatist groups in hope they could influence the generation of militants operating from villages in the South.

He said this generation had not shown any interest in talks and was determined to continue the fight for complete independence from Thailand, so an Islamic state could be established.

Don Pathan

The Nation

PATTANI

did the indonesian authorities ever blame islamic attacks on food shops(dont forget indonesia is still 35% christian and hindhu

My goodness!...............are the rest of your facts (Iranian finance, chinese mafia, etc) as credible as the above one?

Indonesia 88% Muslim, 8% Christian, 2% Hindu......etc

https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/id.html

jack

my facts have already been deleted

sorry u missed that link

but if you think there are only 2 % christians in the whole of indonesia, then good for you

i lived in jakarta and that is what the local people will tell you that christians amount to 35%.

but please try

www.jinsa.org

for facts on the southern movements

my facts have already been deleted

sorry u missed that link

but if you think there are only 2 % christians in the whole of indonesia, then good for you

i lived in jakarta and that is what the local people will tell you that christians amount to 35%.

but please try

www.jinsa.org

for facts on the southern movements

It's not unreasonble to assumue that these restaurants, or in particular the clientelle and owners, could be involved in collecting money for a political movement.

To claim affiliation with such an organisation is enough for many who want a quiet life to cough up.

A not insignificant amount can be gathered in this way.

In northern England especially around Liverpool and Manchester in the 80's and 90's, pro I.R.A. thugs would go from pub to pub collecting for the cause, people would cough up just for a quiet life,

half an hour later you may have found another group of thugs entering the same pub doing exactly the same thing for the opposition U.D.F. and people would cough up for them too.

It's not new but it can ruffle the feathers of those in power if it is brought into the media spotlight.

Is it Bolly or Moet you're offering? how big is the bottle?

Edited by Robski