Foreign Ministry to present Thailand’s public referendum report to diplomatic corps

webfact

Foreign Ministry to present Thailand’s public referendum report to diplomatic corps

BANGKOK, 9 August 2016 (NNT) - The Foreign Ministry is planning to invite diplomatic corps in the country to a briefing on the public referendum on the new constitution, which took place on August 7. 

Spokesman of the Foreign Ministry Sek Wannamethee said that, following the announcement of the unofficial result of the public referendum, members of the diplomatic corps have offered their congratulatory messages to Thailand for the success in organizing a peaceful and uneventful event and for the adoption of the new charter. 

Mr. Sek added that there will soon be more clarity in the implementation of the reform efforts according to the road map, which will lead to a stronger and sustainable democracy in the country. 

Regarding criticisms by foreign media that Thais have been less enthusiastic about the democratic rule, Mr. Sek said that everyone should accept the result of the public referendum, which is the reflection of the people’s decision through their participation in the voting session. 

He added that the ministry will invite representatives from all foreign embassies to attend a briefing session during which all related parties will offer information related to the next steps in the national reform roadmap.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-09

After the briefing will be the usual media release that everyone understood and supported what the govt is and will be doing.

The foreign diplomats will not say anything to support or counter the official Thai release but it's about time they damn well did speak out and refute the claims made on their behalf.

Everyone in the free world knows a 60% majority on a 54 % voter turnout is not a mandate for military rule.  Even the wishy washy BBC questions the result.  I agree with the above, it's about time the politicians from "the free world" grew some balls and actually spoke the truth.

I agree with the last two posters, but I also think that when you look at what is going on in the rest of the world, by comparison, they are not really interested in Thailand. The fact that all discussion on the referendum prior to the vote was forbidden, already indicates how much notice they are going to take. 

You only need to compare the way the UK referendum was conducted, with this one, and they will all know this was an exercise for the Military.

No doubt a jejune briefing full of moralising conclusions manufactured to fit he ambiguous results of a military controlled referendum. 

Diplomatically polite ears will listen but what will be relayed back to the respective countries' foreign affairs ministries and the United Nations.

3 hours ago, eliotness said:

Everyone in the free world knows a 60% majority on a 54 % voter turnout is not a mandate for military rule.  Even the wishy washy BBC questions the result.  I agree with the above, it's about time the politicians from "the free world" grew some balls and actually spoke the truth.

3 hours ago, Partenavia said:

You only need to compare the way the UK referendum was conducted, with this one, and they will all know this was an exercise for the Military.

It's interesting to compare the Thai Referendum result with the UK EU Referendum result:

Thai Referendum

Registered Voters 45m

Turnout 54% x 45m = 24.3m

Of whom 61% voted in favour = 14.8m

% 0f Total Electorate voting in favour = 32.8%

UK EU Referendum

Registered Voters 46.5m

Turnout 72% x 46.5m = 33.5m

Of whom 51.9% voted to Leave EU = 17.4m

% of Total Electorate voting to Leave = 37.4%

Not very different really.

So many 'Brexit' supporters on TV claim it is a 'democratic' decision and should be implemented and yet take the opposite view of the Thai Referendum!

You can't have it both ways guys!

To me, NEITHER result is democratic and NEITHER result should be implemented.

I wasn't attempting to compare the results from the vote, because as you say they are broadly similar. What I was comparing, although didn't make myself clear, was the way in which both sides in the UK were able to freely express their views and make an argument for or against. That was not the case here by any stretch of the imagination. 

10 minutes ago, Partenavia said:

I wasn't attempting to compare the results from the vote, because as you say they are broadly similar. What I was comparing, although didn't make myself clear, was the way in which both sides in the UK were able to freely express their views and make an argument for or against. That was not the case here by any stretch of the imagination. 

I am sure there was a mass debate among the leadership on this one. Probably all done in a circle :whistling: :gigglem:

4 hours ago, Partenavia said:

And both sides in the UK were free to deliberately lie, mislead, focus on aspects they knew would be emotional and then try to exploit that emotion. The result was a much larger voter turnout than in the last general election. 

Unfortunately not all voters carry out their own in depth research or have a good understanding and so believe some of the lies. Remember Boris being caught lying on TV interview and simply grinning in response. Now he's been rewarded. And as usual the rich elite from the right families, the connected, those that "govern" will be alright and do very nicely out of it. Not that much different in outcome.

A US spokesperson has already urged a quick return to an elected government. Let's see what the others say.

Edited by Baerboxer

7 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

I think most of us understand that diplomatic   '  niceties  '   often prevent things being said and done but why should the international community observe protocol when Thailand doesn't by shamelessly speaking on behalf of other countries  ?

Not only quoting other countries and the UN,  but not even getting the full and proper context of the statement , just picking the eye's out of the message , like with the assistant UN secretary , you read Thai response and then read the full script , the UN literally  tore strips of Thailand.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

And both sides in the UK were free to deliberately lie, mislead, focus on aspects they knew would be emotional and then try to exploit that emotion. The result was a much larger voter turnout than in the last general election. 

Unfortunately not all voters carry out their own in depth research or have a good understanding and so believe some of the lies. Remember Boris being caught lying on TV interview and simply grinning in response. Now he's been rewarded. And as usual the rich elite from the right families, the connected, those that "govern" will be alright and do very nicely out of it. Not that much different in outcome.

A US spokesperson has already urged a quick return to an elected government. Let's see what the others say.

The difference with Thailand is that only one side was allowed to do It! :)