British teenager dies swimming off the coast of Koh Chang

webfact

8 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...trillions in revenue...and unpatrolled beaches....

...some would call this criminal....

More would call this your usual BS.

There are plenty of patrolled beaches, but if every beach in the world where tourists swim was patrolled, there would be nobody left to become a tourist.

Can't you resist anti-Thai for just one day?

8 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...trillions in revenue...and unpatrolled beaches....

...some would call this criminal....

don't be childish - this is not a totally fostered country like Europe or the U.S.; it is one of the places where you still have to use your own brains and gauge dangers by yourself. If you fail this task you're dead - so what's the problem?

Edited by thurien

I was just on the beach on Long Island, NY a couple of weeks ago.  Thousands of happy people from all over the world.  Speaking many different languages.  A lifeguard ever 30 meters.

Everyone was safe.  No deaths.

Why on earth would a "swimmer" go to a Third World country and think "swimming" on a beach with no lifeguards is "safe"?

Go to the beach.  Get wet.  GET OUT OF THE WATER AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE.

Duh.

555+

Edited by SiSePuede419
Additional info.

The Policeman there Capt Rod Manthong is surely working overtime. I watched a Thai news expose a few years back. It seems on one beach. The locals remove the rip tide warning signs so they can still sell food

22 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

My experience with a strong rip tide was actually Chaweng Beach with sand for a kilometer in either direction. 

I'm on Mae Ramphung and rips have been pretty bad the last 2-3 weeks..., considerably more so in last few days.  Lost a pair of Maui Jim Crushers taking a dip last weekend, the result of a quick pull on ankles in tandem with a wave over my head.  Just enough time to lose them.  Guessing they're closer to Hua Hin by now.