Perth toddler almost died after contracting flesh-eating bacteria in Thailand

webfact

12 minutes ago, Thian said:

Have you never heard about W-Europe? You can drink tapwater in almost all W-European countries.  Norway, Sweden, Danmark, Germany, Holland, Belgium, Poland....the rest i'm not sure but i guess it's drinkable.

of course i have, i was just stirring you. :)

even in australia there are a lot of place where tap water is very drinkable. despite that, people prefer bottled water or run tap water through filters where ever i have been, so far.

funny, just found this one:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-17/gastro-outbreak-hits-new-zealand-town/7750344

have a great day, mate

I personally have been hospitalised four times with necrotising fasciitis (flesh eating bacteria) since I have lived here in Thailand. It's a dreadful disease, Buriram hospital has one ward that treats only this affliction. I can assure you that it is not only unpleasant to look at but if you suffer from it you are very sick indeed. I ended up by having to have one of my legs amputated. Some patients in the ward died.

I have no idea how I contracted it. A small cut or insect bite can lead to the infection. I know of half a dozen farangs who, over the years, have got this infection.

Tropical Thailand can be deadly. Clean all cuts and scratches and if it seems to get worse get medical help quickly.   

On ‎8‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 7:51 PM, Thian said:

What is a VOD box? Video on demand?

Did you also loose some kg of flesh?

I've heard about this bacterial several times but didn't know it made so many victims.

Yes, Video on Demand. I nearly lost at least one leg from the knee down. Fortunately I am a trained Paramedic so that I was able to insist that the doctor gave me penicillin and not his prescribed erythromycin which the bacteria was resistant to which caused me to lose several layers of skin. The disease is caused by common bacteria that we all have on our skin except that these are a mutated strain that are resistant to many antibiotics. The disease is called  Erysipelas caused by non group A streptococcal bacterium Streptococcus pyogenes. It used to be known as St Elmos Fire and Kings and Queens have died from it in ancient time because in those days there was no cure.

On 8/16/2016 at 3:43 PM, Thian said:

I also would be very scared to go to a Thai hospital with very young kids. That's the place where all dirty diseases/bacterials hang around.

Once i was visiting a familymember in a hospital at Victory monument...it smelled like fungus all over the room, it was black on the ceiling from it. I saw meggarts crawling on the floor just infront of me, they came from the flowers they said....

The young boys had to lay under the patients bed and also eat there on the floor.

If possible i avoid those places like a plague.

Sounds like a crappy hospital you went to. Nice way to generalise, there are many good, clean and modern hospitals in Thailand.