Thailand hopes to be leading country for investment in digital sector

snoop1130

lets not deride the Thais too much, I had many competent engineers working for me and their English language was excellent ( would not have been employed if not )

What is more of a concern is inward investment, and for that to happen investors need to be confident in the stability of a country, infrastructure, capability, political interference, nowadays compliance (SOX) initial costs, potential market, tax, employment law ( all Gate 1 stuff )  therefore ....... .........well it could happen, but thinking about Asia, in terms of building technology driven digital, I would consider Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia much better places.

India and Bangladesh bad taxes, poor infrastructure, difficult to retain staff

Singapore too expensive

Indonesia a possibility, but nit without problems

Thailand............?

1 hour ago, timendres said:

Given all of the programming languages, development platforms, coding paradigms and web innovations originating from Thailand, this seems very doable.

Are you talking about the illegally copied programs for sale over in Pantip?

Malaysia had this idea over 20 years ago, even named a city Cyberjaya.  Maybe I've missed out on the developments, but I haven't noticed Malaysia having a vanguard role in the Digital Age.  But at least they have an eye on such things, eg 10+ years ago when they realized that the detonator of choice for bombs in southern Thailand was cell phones with Malaysian SIM cards it became mandatory to show id and be entered into a database when buying a SIM.  And it's strict, no one will slip you an under-the-table SIM (but maybe offering an impressive pile of cash can get passed that).  Once I arrived in KL on a Sunday, no one, even in the dodgy part of town I was staying in, would front me a SIM, said the registration system was down until Monday.  Took Thailand over ten years to tighten up on that.

Technology moves much faster than the wheels of government, any gov't.  20 years is a loooooong time. 

11 hours ago, KNJ said:

lets not deride the Thais too much, I had many competent engineers working for me and their English language was excellent ( would not have been employed if not )

What is more of a concern is inward investment, and for that to happen investors need to be confident in the stability of a country, infrastructure, capability, political interference, nowadays compliance (SOX) initial costs, potential market, tax, employment law ( all Gate 1 stuff )  therefore ....... .........well it could happen, but thinking about Asia, in terms of building technology driven digital, I would consider Vietnam, Philippines, Malaysia much better places.

India and Bangladesh bad taxes, poor infrastructure, difficult to retain staff

Singapore too expensive

Indonesia a possibility, but nit without problems

Thailand............?

so you had them! the English speaking engineers! when i was looking for them people told me they were all employed/ occupied already.... ?

My first trip to Thailand was to open a office for our company for some high tech work.

took four hours to realize it ain't going to happen.

Vietnam kicks a** on Thailand in high tech labor force. And that was 5 years ago.

On August 18, 2016 at 3:03 PM, KNJ said:

This is true. There are some amazingly talented Thai IT people that can understand English but there are very few of them. Most companies hire a Thai IT guy to sit around and fix little problems in the office when they pop up and pay them piddly salaries to do it. Granted, the salaries generally match the abilities. You pay peanuts you get...

As I am sure you know, a decent IT support professional spends up to 80-90% of his time learning his craft and testing out software/hardware all day. He READS and learns all day to stay up to date and the other 10-20% is handing user issues.  This is an industry where you must stay up to the minute on changes in technology or you get left behind very quickly.