You want your girl to be your best friend?

JJGreen

I'm a newb here so please bear with me. My girlfriend speaks good basic English and I can't speak Thai beyond normal greetIngs. But we can carry on a conversation fine. Sometimes I think her not being fluent in English is an asset because from me there is no "what is THAT supposed to mean?" No innuendo, no sly comments with mean undertones, just basic communication. Of course you sacrifice talking philosophy and the meaning of life, but it's the sarcasm and mean undertones that caused a lot of arguments with past western girlfriends so it's kind of refreshing. Yes it might get old after awhile but hopefully as time goes on my Thai will improve and her English will improve and we'll be having more meaningful banter.

You want her ro be your best bud?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, JJGreen said:

Thanks for your compliment JAFO.

Do you want your girl to be your best friend?

Do I want her to be?  Firstly she is not "My Girl". She is my wife so it should really go without saying quite frankly.  

Do I want her to be?  Firstly she is not "My Girl". She is my wife so it should really go without saying quite frankly.  

No idea where you sit...Everyone is different so it doesnt go without saying at all...as you can read from the thread opinion is vastly divided

58 minutes ago, JJGreen said:

No idea where you sit...Everyone is different so it doesnt go without saying at all...as you can read from the thread opinion is vastly divided

Well let's divide it by guys who call them "my girl" and adults who are married and refer to them as their wives.  Why don't you plot it out in a spreadsheet? Might help you understand the division. Honestly I stopped calling women my girl right about the time I graduated from high school.

If you want a marriage to work she should  be your best friend and confidante. Now I don't believe in all that Soul mate talk. Marriages are commitments and always take work hence why you have to be friends with your spouse.  Both parties need their external friends to grow as well.  I have a great wife and great friends.  Probably why I am happy all the time and seldom have a reason to whinge on forums.

Well let's divide it by guys who call them "my girl" and adults who are married and refer to them as their wives.  Why don't you plot it out in a spreadsheet? Might help you understand the division. Honestly I stopped calling women my girl right about the time I graduated from high school.

If you want a marriage to work she should  be your best friend and confidante. Now I don't believe in all that Soul mate talk. Marriages are commitments and always take work hence why you have to be friends with your spouse.  Both parties need their external friends to grow as well.  I have a great wife and great friends.  Probably why I am happy all the time and seldom have a reason to whinge on forums.

Thanks for offering an opinion.

"My Girl" is a standard and widely used team of endearment...substitute it for whatever terminology you want. I have a friend of 76 years age, 7 children, 50+ years marriage who refers to his wife as his "girl".
Everyone else understood the term as a general usage term ...not sure why you felt such a bombastic reply was in order.

Not all people feel the need to be married to be in a stable and secure relationship these days...nor call their partners their wives...and they are all adults...

Sorry  JJGREEN. "MY Girl" just sounds teenager like. 

And I agree you don't have to be married to share those terms of endearment just be with the right person.

Good luck with your thread.

2 years with the mrs and we are best friends. The first year we were not as close but there is not much we do not know about each other nowadays. I could not do it any other way. Male best friends well I have my wolf pack of boys I known since 13 years old but their just a bunch of to ssers who I have a laugh and joke with on whatsapp group chat and we have a jolly up once a year in europe but their not confidantes of mine and never would I want them to be. 

On August 26, 2016 at 10:36 PM, JJGreen said:

You want her ro be your best bud?

We'll be married in December and she'll be my wife. Best bud? To me that sounds like it should be of the same gender. I don't think I'd ever refer to her as my bud. I have a couple of male friends I'd call best buds. We drink beer together, go to sporting events together, ride motorcycles together. That to me is being a bud or best friend. A wife is all encompassing as far as being a friend, a lover, a confidant. You're not intimate with best friends (hopefully) so it's way different to me. Just my two cents.

We'll be married in December and she'll be my wife. Best bud? To me that sounds like it should be of the same gender. I don't think I'd ever refer to her as my bud. I have a couple of male friends I'd call best buds. We drink beer together, go to sporting events together, ride motorcycles together. That to me is being a bud or best friend. A wife is all encompassing as far as being a friend, a lover, a confidant. You're not intimate with best friends (hopefully) so it's way different to me. Just my two cents.

I half agree with you

To me there are some things you dont want to discuss with your wife...thats what best buds are for