Thailand's obsession with the perfect green curry

webfact

Thailand's obsession with the perfect green curry

DOMINIC FAULDER

BANGKOK: -- As the motorcyclist roared past my taxi on one of the main drags into Bangkok, we exchanged glances. He was traveling fast, a perfectly horizontal figure with no crash helmet, balanced head down, his feet pointing straight back down the road for optimal streamlining.

This human missile on two wheels was a terrifying sight that reminded me how people in Thailand often appear "rules averse" on the surface.

It is always dangerous to generalize from the particular, but some statistics support this observation. Although Thailand made crash helmets mandatory for bikers 25 years ago, less than half the families who use motorcycles wear them. That contributes to Thailand's road fatalities of some 30,000 people each year -- about the same as the U.S., which has a population five times larger -- and the second-highest road fatality rate in the world.

Full story: http://asia.nikkei.com/magazine/20160825-ASIA-S-SILVER-LINING/Tea-Leaves/Thailand-s-obsession-with-the-perfect-green-curry

-- NIKKEI ASIAN REVIEW 2016-08-25

1 hour ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Fortunately I spped read, so only 3 minutes wasted, which at my age is a long time.

I've learned to read the first few comments before committing to the article, so wasted even less!

I got up to about 20 seconds in and smelled a blogger trying to pass himself/herself off as a journalist. Stopped there.

In fact, even the headline alerted me. Green curry is one of many dishes that Thais eat. There is nothing stand-out or extraordinary about it. For Westerners not familiar with Thai Thailand (as opposed to tourist Thailand or Thai cuisine overseas) it is one of 3 or 4 dishes that are well-known and people refer to it to show off their knowledge. Thus the headline was a dead giveaway that the writer still occupies the tourist Thailand space and is yet to make the transition to local mundanity.

7 hours ago, Rob8891 said:

Didn't waste my time going to the link. If the writers can't match up the headline with the article. well, Phuket.

The success of your post is certainly due to your magistral use of the word Phuket. I nearly fell off my chair with laughter, and can't believe it's the first time I come across it after living here for so long and being a member on this Forum for, hey, quite a few years already. Just goes to show that true humor is a rare and fine thing. Thanks Rob !