NLA says decision to amend charter rests with CDC

rooster59

NLA says decision to amend charter rests with CDC

Thammarat Thadaphrom

PNPOL590827001000301.jpg

BANGKOK, 27 August 2016 (NNT) – A member of the National Legislative Assembly (NLA), Somchai Sawaengkarn, said the Constitution Drafting Commission (CDC) has the right and the power to determine the power of the senate. 

Mr Somchai said although the legislature had already made a suggestion to the CDC that the additional question in the referendum allows senators to take part in the entire selection process of a prime minister, the final decision belongs to the drafting body itself. 

The CDC earlier announced that it had decided to allow members of the senate to only vote for the prime minister, not to propose one. 

Once the revision is complete, the CDC will submit the draft charter to the Constitutional Court for approval. The court will give its verdict on whether or not the revision of the draft is in compliance with the second referendum question endorsed by the public. 

He reiterated that the second question was not a distortion, nor was it a deception to the people, as it clearly asked “should members of the upper house be allowed to join members of parliament in the selection of a prime minister in order for the country to continue its reform effort during the first 5 years after the new constitution is enacted.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-08-28

46 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

What's in a name,   aren't all these bodies well and truly under control   ?

Pretty much. Whenever I read NCPO/NLA/CDC/NACC/OAG/EC/CC I simply replace the acronym with 'junta'.

I can't tell you what I replace 'junta' with...

14 minutes ago, jamesbrock said:

Pretty much. Whenever I read NCPO/NLA/CDC/NACC/OAG/EC/CC I simply replace the acronym with 'junta'.

I can't tell you what I replace 'junta' with...

Brilliant post. You've made my day - brought a big smile to my face. Thanks!

jamesbrock pretty much sums it up!

Probably only splitting hairs here, but the junta is actually the NCPO, a relatively small group of "strong-men".

And it seems to be quit difficult to get details on who the current members are.

The best I could do comes from late 2015 (http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/a-new-list-of-ncpo-announced/):

• Gen Prayut Chan-ocha as head of the NCPO;
  • Gen Prawit Wongsuwan, deputy chief;
  • Gen Thanasak Patimaprakorn, deputy chief;
  • Admiral Narong Pipatthanasai, deputy chief;
  • Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong, deputy chief;
  • Pol Gen Adul Saengsingkaew, deputy chief.
  • Gen Udomdej Seetabutr,
  • Gen Paiboon Kumchaya,
  • Gen Preecha Chan-ocha,
  • Gen Sommai Kaoleera,
  • Admiral Na Areenit,
  • Air Chief Marshal Trithos Sonjaeng,
  • Pol Gen Chakthip Chaichinda,
  • Mr Meechai Ruchupan and
  • Gen Thirachai Narkvanich.

3 hours ago, Caveat Emptor said:

I am fascinated by the intense look on the face of the lady behind his left shoulder,   makes me think she's about to assassinate him.

Looks like the other lady is onto her as well!

4 hours ago, waldroj said:

the junta is actually the NCPO

And they get great benefits.

For those military officers, the Junta-appointed NLA passed a law that they get paid additional salary and benefits as members of NCPO apart from their military pay. General Prayut was granted 125,590 baht per month. Each of the other NCPO members was granted salaries of 119,920 baht per month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Council_for_Peace_and_Order#Membership_and_authority

Some of the NCPO also concurrently hold government positions such as Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister (Gen' Prawit), Cabinet Minister (Gen Paiboon), Deputy Minister (Gen. Udomjeg), Permanent Secretary (Gen. Preecha), etc. So it is possible that there may be further benefits. 

The Thai people still do not know how badly they've ben fracked over.

It will become clear as the verbal gymnastics develop, but bit-by-bit - slowly, slowly, catchee monkee. What the government is doing now is trying to very carefully rort the system they created themselves, in such a way that the stupid foreigners don't know how deceptive, mendacious and devious they have been  all along and will continue to be, because that's their nature. A dog cannot be a cat. The deception and deceit by and of these people is truly breath-taking.

This lot aren't going anywhere for as long as they have the power to cling on with any small semblance of reason or justification, the stakes for them and their beneficiaries are mountainous and they won't have another chance.

But the real game has not yet begun, what we're seeing is only the negotiatig for position before the kick-off.

Genuine election next year? Not while that nice Mr Prayuth's bottom points downwards. These are very bad people and we haven't yet seen their full awful plumage yet. But we will. Several key people are already overdue for an exit stage left, and when they do wander off, the plans for which these elaborate and deceitful preparations are being made now cannot possibly survive. It's very, very difficult to see how this can realistically be expected to end well.

Winnie

Edited by Winniedapu

3 hours ago, Srikcir said:

And they get great benefits.

For those military officers, the Junta-appointed NLA passed a law that they get paid additional salary and benefits as members of NCPO apart from their military pay. General Prayut was granted 125,590 baht per month. Each of the other NCPO members was granted salaries of 119,920 baht per month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Council_for_Peace_and_Order#Membership_and_authority

Some of the NCPO also concurrently hold government positions such as Prime Minister, Deputy Prime Minister (Gen' Prawit), Cabinet Minister (Gen Paiboon), Deputy Minister (Gen. Udomjeg), Permanent Secretary (Gen. Preecha), etc. So it is possible that there may be further benefits. 

And don't forget all those wise investments.....

4 hours ago, jamesbrock said:

Looks like the other lady is onto her as well!

Probably the look of a true fanatic, a true believer. Look at some of the faces in the crowd scenes in  Leni Riefenstahl's film "Triumph of the Will."

Edited by JAG