More water discharged downstream from Chao Phraya dam

webfact

More water discharged downstream from Chao Phraya dam

0509002-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Royal Irrigation Department has started increasing the amount of water discharged from the Chao Phraya dam from 80 cubic metres/second to 120 cubic metres/second into the Chao Phraya river in anticipation of the arrival of northern runoffs.

Mr Suthep Noipairote, the department head, said on Monday that the increased discharge of water through the sluice gates would slightly overflow the banks of Plongpleng canal.

As more rains are expected this week in the northern region, he said there is a good chance that the water level of major dams in the North which include Bhumibol, Sirikit, Kwae Noi and Pasak will increase.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/water-discharged-downstream-chao-phraya-dam/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-09-06

39 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

What does this mean for Bangkok? I've googled Plongpleng canal and found no results, so I've got no idea where this is.

It means more water is being released from behind the Chao Phraya dam at Chainat and that will presumably raise the level of the CP river flowing through the capital.

I cannot locate Plongpleng klong/canal either.

"Mr Suthep Noipairote, the department head, said on Monday that the increased discharge of water through the sluice gates would slightly overflow the banks of Plongpleng canal."

"As more rains are expected this week in the northern region, he said there is a good chance that the water level of major dams in the North which include Bhumibol, Sirikit, Kwae Noi and Pasak will increase."

"Mr Suthep said rainmaking aircraft fleet based at Hua Hin had been moved to bases in Tak and Chiang Mai to step up rainmaking efforts with an anticipation to add up another 800 million cubic metres into the northern dams."

Am I missing something here? I haven't long been awake but this doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

Edited by MaiDong

1 minute ago, MaiDong said:

"Mr Suthep Noipairote, the department head, said on Monday that the increased discharge of water through the sluice gates would slightly overflow the banks of Plongpleng canal."

"As more rains are expected this week in the northern region, he said there is a good chance that the water level of major dams in the North which include Bhumibol, Sirikit, Kwae Noi and Pasak will increase."

"Mr Suthep said rainmaking aircraft fleet based at Hua Hin had been moved to bases in Tak and Chiang Mai to step up rainmaking efforts with an anticipation to add up another 800 million cubic metres into the northern dams."

Am I missing something here? I haven't long been awake but this doesn't make an awful lot of sense.

Can you be more specific as to what you do not understand?

If the northern dams can be given extra assistance (cloud-seeding) even though the north has already had a fair amount of rain, and in some areas, flooding, there will be more stored water behind these major dams for irrigation and consumption during next year's dry season.

7 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Can you be more specific as to what you do not understand?

If the northern dams can be given extra assistance (cloud-seeding) even though the north has already had a fair amount of rain, and in some areas, flooding, there will be more stored water behind these major dams for irrigation and consumption during next year's dry season.

Why do the northern dams need more assistance if sluice gates are being opened to release water due to flooding/overflowing?

Am I thinking too much? Better I go back to snoozing?

Just now, MaiDong said:

Why do the northern dams need more assistance if sluice gates are being opened to release water due to flooding/overflowing?

Am I thinking too much? Better I go back to snoozing?

The Chao Phraya river starts in Nakhon Sawan province at the confluence of the Ping & Nan rivers. These two rivers flow out of the Bhumibol  (Tak) & Sirikit  (Nan) dams respectively. Creating rain in the far north helps fill the two royal dams. Releasing water at Chainat dam helps keep the Ping & Nan at reasonable levels. Tink too mutt is good.

Have a coffee.:coffee1: