Foreigner hospitalised following Phuket big bike crash

rooster59

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

From the sticker on the front mudguard, it looks like a rental big bike.

It seems to be a CB 650 F. With 86 horsepower, this is not a bike for beginners.

The front forks look to have been replaced. Was this due to a previous crash or suspension upgrade? The red plate may be related to a reluctance on the part of the rental company to legally register the bike, if it is a rental.

Not a bike for beginners But not a Big Bike,,,Big Bikes are over 1 Ltr (1000 CC) to 1500 cc  Goldwing ,,Nevermind the Special Build ones with V8s

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

It seems to be a CB 650 F. With 86 horsepower, this is not a bike for beginners.

The front forks look to have been replaced. Was this due to a previous crash or suspension upgrade? The red plate may be related to a reluctance on the part of the rental company to legally register the bike, if it is a rental.

I can also spot a speck of corrosion on the frame, this caused inter granular exfoliation and the frame fell apart.

8 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Briggsy: it's an MT-09, you can see that by the air intakes, forks and the tank.

This bike is a little beast and if you are not an experienced rider, then it will likely bite you in your sorry ass. 115hp and 87Nm toreque are no slouch.

They rent them out in Patong and I see tons of renters going around without proper gear or even just a helmet. I'd say 90% of people that I see there on these rented MT09 drive helmetless and are taking crazy risks.

Why does the Phuket News again get the basic facts like the company of the bike wrong? It's as simple as reading the big badge on it. Every single time something like this. I don't get it. I just notice it because I'm into bikes but it makes you wonder what else is always wrong.

0k9El7t.jpg

If one has an "area of experience and/or knowledge" it is inevitable that one will find a "story" that gets it wrong. 

Unfortunately most ignorant people worldwide have an absurd belief that what they read/watch in the news is the certain truth and feel absolutely confident in repeating it as such.

Thus ignorance and downright lies spread more rapidly than carefully researched knowledge and reasoned opinion.

The internet Age has increased this tendency exponentially.

You can find a lot of "repeating" in the non "practical" forums of TV.

Edited by Enoon

15 hours ago, Briggsy said:

The front forks are standard fitment in a yamaha FZ09...... which is what the rest of that bike was. 130bhp and mostly unrideable at high speed if youve not ridden it before. 

I forgot to mention they only imported 26 red FZ's into thailand in 2014. All the rest after that were grey. So mines a bit more exclusive now as ive seen 2 trashed red ones in cm. :)

Edited by tomyumchai

2 hours ago, Doc46 said:

Not a bike for beginners But not a Big Bike,,,Big Bikes are over 1 Ltr (1000 CC) to 1500 cc  Goldwing ,,Nevermind the Special Build ones with V8s

555, big bike in thailand is anything they cant touch the floor on. I always laugh when they call my crf a big bike..... it makes the other ones space rockets...

Really? Your crashed once every 5 trips? Makes sense that you got a car, consider a stroller... 

I have perhaps 100,000 k.m. on bikes here, half in Bkk in the 90s when I commuted, and half exclusively up-country on 1-5K trips 2 days to 2 weeks in length... The 10K k.m. I clocked up in Singapore on a Vespa were more dangerous than here.

You pays your penny and makes your choice. I'd rather be outside, immersed, excited and exposed that locked in a cage. My choice. Most bikers don't need eunuchs telling us how dangerous it is - it's dangerous because of the cars on the roads, not the other bikes... more or less...

3 hours ago, evilebxxx said:

20 years ago when I reside in Bangkok I had a motorbike, I had on average 20% chance of an accident or or a minor mishap each trip

14 hours ago, Caps said:

Its a shame the guy died and a waste of life

But I don't have any sympathy for him, no helmet, shorts etc, you're  just asking for trouble 

Agree about the helmet! Although sometimes I wear shorts if I go to the nearby 7-Eleven for this or that... But I will ALWAYS wear my helmet even if my ride is 100 metres!

R.I.P.

7 minutes ago, DualSportBiker said:

Really? Your crashed once every 5 trips? Makes sense that you got a car, consider a stroller... 

I have perhaps 100,000 k.m. on bikes here, half in Bkk in the 90s when I commuted, and half exclusively up-country on 1-5K trips 2 days to 2 weeks in length... The 10K k.m. I clocked up in Singapore on a Vespa were more dangerous than here.

You pays your penny and makes your choice. I'd rather be outside, immersed, excited and exposed that locked in a cage. My choice. Most bikers don't need eunuchs telling us how dangerous it is - it's dangerous because of the cars on the roads, not the other bikes... more or less...

To be fair I was most intoxicated  and slippery clay roads with deep holes, rice drying spread on asphalt roads, a sudden 80 degree curve after a long straight lime without any landmark, unlit roads and so on

16 hours ago, Living in a cartoon said:

These happened all the time on 2nd road in Jomtien when I lived there. God, there was one with this Russian dude, he was thrown from his big rental bike and hit a streetlight standard sideways. Tore him in half at the torso. Gross, but not as gross as the gawkers snapping photos.

Well you cant blame them really after all its not an everyday event, every other day maybe

So you prove that DUI is dangerous... hard to be sympathetic, and easy to discount your opinion on the dangers of bikes.

I rode to Rangsit today - had the chance for a beer after a little project was successfully completed. I won't touch a drop within 4 hours of riding - not worth it. I've ridden at night twice in the last 6 years; Bkk to Nong Khai on a Friday afternoon, and Hot to Samoeng. Again, there is no point to risk it. At least you didn't do yourself serious harm like this poor chap.

8 minutes ago, evilebxxx said:

To be fair I was most intoxicated  and slippery clay roads with deep holes, rice drying spread on asphalt roads, a sudden 80 degree curve after a long straight lime without any landmark, unlit roads and so on

10 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Tourists on big bikes blast or race past my office every single day on the way and from the beach and all at high speed with no helmets. There is no surprise here and that is a sharp corner.

If you happen to be a founder member of the flat earth society it was always going to be just a matter of time

On 18/9/2559 at 5:24 PM, Xircal said:

A 34 minute video about a bike? 49 seconds was enough for me.

-Xircal-
Tastes and interests are very different.

But, thank you, was very helpful for us all, to know now your subjective lack of interest in that matter.

Are you the measurement of things?:rolleyes:

Anyway,

this video has 250,000 clicks and 1,700 Likes and  70 No Like  on You Tube

So, rated good on YouTube.

Would be interesting if you have time, please make your OWN Video, no copy from others,  

about what you're interested in and let it run on  You Tube.
Then we can check your scoreboard on clicks and Likes, from your (mainstream) topic?

On 18/09/2016 at 6:15 AM, Briggsy said:

I'm amazed you can tell all that from one photo, anyway what bloody difference  does it make whether it's  a rental or not.

2 hours ago, Rorri said:

I'm amazed you can tell all that from one photo, anyway what bloody difference  does it make whether it's  a rental or not.

Rental or not could make a big difference regarding rider mentality, protection, insurance, etc.

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

Rental or not could make a big difference regarding rider mentality, protection, insurance, etc.

That's plain rubbish, please give us your knowledge on how rental, or not, makes a difference... an idiot on a rental, is an idiot on a non rental, no helmet on a rental is just as stupid as no helmet on a non rental, no insurance on a rental is the same as no insurance on a non rental. stevenl, you have made one very strange comment. And please, keep it relevant to this accident, and how whether a rental, or not, makes any difference, in my opinion the guy would have died no matter what.

18 hours ago, ALFREDO said:

-Xircal-
Tastes and interests are very different.

But, thank you, was very helpful for us all, to know now your subjective lack of interest in that matter.

Are you the measurement of things?:rolleyes:

Anyway,

this video has 250,000 clicks and 1,700 Likes and  70 No Like  on You Tube

So, rated good on YouTube.

Would be interesting if you have time, please make your OWN Video, no copy from others,  

about what you're interested in and let it run on  You Tube.
Then we can check your scoreboard on clicks and Likes, from your (mainstream) topic?

This is a public forum and I'm expressing my point of view.

1 hour ago, Rorri said:

That's plain rubbish, please give us your knowledge on how rental, or not, makes a difference... an idiot on a rental, is an idiot on a non rental, no helmet on a rental is just as stupid as no helmet on a non rental, no insurance on a rental is the same as no insurance on a non rental. stevenl, you have made one very strange comment. And please, keep it relevant to this accident, and how whether a rental, or not, makes any difference, in my opinion the guy would have died no matter what.

Since you asked nicely. I think that in general expats are more likely to wear full protective clothing, more likely to wear a good quality helmet, the bike is more likely to have good 3rd party insurance and the rider is less likely to go bar hopping.

Edited by stevenl

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Since you asked nicely. I think that in general expats are more likely to wear full protective clothing, more likely to wear a good quality helmet, the bike is more likely to have good 3rd party insurance and the rider is less likely to go bar hopping.

I don't know... I see tons of Thais with fullface helmets, leather suits, the whole program on big bikes. Many do group rides and you usually don't see anyone without helmet and other gear there in my experience. Also I've never seen any big bike rider going bar hopping no matter what nationality.

In the tourist areas, especially Patong, I can see tons of foreigners riding big bikes without helmets, wearing only shorts etc. And I bet many don't have proper insurance. I suspect these are mostly rentals.

The picture changes completely for small bikes though. We all know how people ride scooters here.

On 9/18/2016 at 11:44 AM, edwarda909 said:

No helmet  = organ donor

If he had a helmet it would most probably be a cheap one from Big C. He was speeding and I doubt a cheap helmet would have saved him. 

On 9/18/2016 at 3:24 PM, watcharacters said:

I agree but some people can't afford a four wheel vehicle and not in all circumstances are songtaues or taxis available,

He was renting the bike , you can rent cars for 500 baht . But why would he , he obviously loved high speed bikes. 

And you can also buy a cheap car for 50k if you really want to avoid riding bikes. 

9 hours ago, stevenl said:

It still has nothing to do with this accident.

I would also like you to prove you comment, I don't believe anyone has ever surveyed bike riding expats.

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I don't know... I see tons of Thais with fullface helmets, leather suits, the whole program on big bikes. Many do group rides and you usually don't see anyone without helmet and other gear there in my experience. Also I've never seen any big bike rider going bar hopping no matter what nationality.

In the tourist areas, especially Patong, I can see tons of foreigners riding big bikes without helmets, wearing only shorts etc. And I bet many don't have proper insurance. I suspect these are mostly rentals.

The picture changes completely for small bikes though. We all know how people ride scooters here.

That's exactly what I said.

2 hours ago, Rorri said:

It still has nothing to do with this accident.

I would also like you to prove you comment, I don't believe anyone has ever surveyed bike riding expats.

As I said 'i think'.

And if this was a bar hopping tourist without protection I would say there is every chance it has to do with this accident.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

That's exactly what I said.

Sorry I misunderstood your initial comment. I thought it was about foreigners vs Thais. But now I see it was Expats vs Tourists. So yea, I totally agree with you.

PS: this might also be different in places like Chiang Mai. Not that I have spent lots of time there but I know tons of experienced riders go there as tourists to ride around the mountains (Mae Hong Son loop etc) using rental bikes and they wear proper gear. It's just places like Patong that attract all the idiots.

10 hours ago, stevenl said:

As I said 'i think'.

And if this was a bar hopping tourist without protection I would say there is every chance it has to do with this accident.

But you are making things up, don't you see how stupid that is.

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Sorry I misunderstood your initial comment. I thought it was about foreigners vs Thais. But now I see it was Expats vs Tourists. So yea, I totally agree with you.

PS: this might also be different in places like Chiang Mai. Not that I have spent lots of time there but I know tons of experienced riders go there as tourists to ride around the mountains (Mae Hong Son loop etc) using rental bikes and they wear proper gear. It's just places like Patong that attract all the idiots.

-Eisfeld-

I am experienced from nearly 40 years big bike driving.

But I drove my Honda CB 650 F from Udon T. To Chiang Mai and drive here around Loop ect - with Helmet, gloves but in shorts and T shirt.

Sure not near my limit. But dress up more. No. ??

16 hours ago, Rorri said:

But you are making things up, don't you see how stupid that is.

Somebody on here said there could be a difference between renal bikes and expat riders. You doubted that, I concurred with the opinion there could be differences and explained why. That's all, sorry if I offended you with my opinion.

Edited by stevenl

The sticker on front mudguard is Prasut Big bike, motor cycle rental and repair shop, Sai Namyen, Patong, just further up than Kathu Cop shop so it does appear was a rental bike

R I P to the guy (helmet or not no one deserves to go before their time)