headlight-bulb overcharged ?

Thian

I called Honda Thailand, they said this lightbulb should cost 3-400 baht at the official dealer...So i reported him for corruption and told them i 'll call Japan if they don't give me a refund tomorrow. Let's see.

I'm tired of Honda Thailand...(It took me 5! calls to get somebody who speaks english and not even good)

Thailand is a free market, if somebody is trying to sell you a 1200 THB lightbulb he’s free to do so. Personally I would never bought it, honestly I cannot remember the last time I bought a lightbulb from a motorcycle dealer. In Bangkok we have enough automotive part stores that are way cheaper than any of the famous brand motorcycle dealers.

I’m pretty sure you didn’t speak with Honda Thailand, you probably called the Thai motorcycle distributor called APHonda…

While Thailand is a "free market" (if we ignore corruption/mafia/illegal practices to fight competition etc), if you go to an official Honda dealer and the guy there tells you the bulb is 1200 THB while he's supposed to sell it for 300 THB or whatever and pockets the difference himself (not unheard of) then he's hurting Honda. It's good if you tell the management about this so they can stop it.

The easiest way to avoid issues like this is to ask for a proper receipt. Most of the time that alone will already stop any shenanigans right there and then. Worst case it'll give you a piece of evidence.

A lot of small official dealers in Thailand play funny games like these. With falangs it's more overchargining while with Thais I've seen them more "forgetting" to perform work that was billed or performing and billing work which is not necessary.

A standard H4 60/55w halogen in cheap as chips.  The last one I bought was Osram.  I do not remember the exact price but 130 or perhaps 150 Baht.

It is the standard headlamp bulb in a Vigo so you can buy it in just about any car parts place.

I can't really see the need or justification for some sort of heavy duty version.

The bulb I replaced was just a standard H4 and that lasted 25 years.

If your bike continues blowing bulbs frequently it could be the problem lies elsewhere with voltage regulation being one possibility. 

Similar when I went to buy a new thermostat for my oven at a service Centre.  3800b was the quote.  DIY.  I looked it up online there and then and not one price over 1000b.  I thanked them and walked out...its in the mail as we speak. Someone wanted to pocket a good amount.  

16 hours ago, Richard-BKK said:

Thailand is a free market, if somebody is trying to sell you a 1200 THB lightbulb he’s free to do so. Personally I would never bought it, honestly I cannot remember the last time I bought a lightbulb from a motorcycle dealer. In Bangkok we have enough automotive part stores that are way cheaper than any of the famous brand motorcycle dealers.

I’m pretty sure you didn’t speak with Honda Thailand, you probably called the Thai motorcycle distributor called APHonda…

Oh i see, i have that number in my phone for years though, they even sent me the english manual of my bike because i couldn't read the Thai version i got when i bought it.

I'll check who i called, they are not finished with me..i also will call that consumer protection board in Thailand...i don't care what is normal or not. Or i ll report it to the headoffice in Japan, they give Honda a bad name DELETED (i have and had loads of Honda's but never needed parts because they last forever). Yes when i was 16 i needed parts but that was to get more power.

I went to somchai motoshop around the corner, he sold me LED lightbulb for 700 baht...i knew it was too much but wanted to give him some work/profit..that thing came with a voltage converter which was not even waterproof, it had a fan which is probably not waterproof and it didn't fit under the rubber cap to make the whole headlight waterproof.

So i went back to him, he was helping me while some girl came in, pushed me aside and he went helping her...so i left...wanted to stamp the LED-light to pieces first but behaved myself.

Let's see what the shop will tell me tomorrow when i get my lightbulbs, 3 lightbulbs for 2000 baht DIY. She didn't mention the price first and i wanted them anyway because the police has checkpoints everywhere now and ordering online would take too long.  2000 baht won't break my bank but i just hate to be treated like this and sure won't go back to this dealer, and this is the 2nd dealer in my area who is very very bad imo. Sure i won't buy a new bike from them.

Edited by seedy
Derogatory

14 hours ago, In the jungle said:

A standard H4 60/55w halogen in cheap as chips.  The last one I bought was Osram.  I do not remember the exact price but 130 or perhaps 150 Baht.

It is the standard headlamp bulb in a Vigo so you can buy it in just about any car parts place.

I can't really see the need or justification for some sort of heavy duty version.

The bulb I replaced was just a standard H4 and that lasted 25 years.

If your bike continues blowing bulbs frequently it could be the problem lies elsewhere with voltage regulation being one possibility. 

Yes a normal h4 lightbulb costs even less than the ED model...my lightbulb was fine when i measured it and even worked again but to be sure i went out to buy a new one...After 4 hours i came home pee'd off and 2800 baht lighter. And still without a lightbulb! 

I learned my lesson again but won't accept it. This might be why half Thailand drives around without proper lights on vehicles. I just want to have my bike from 3years old in perfect and safe condition. One of the lights at the front (under the headlight) was broken and i almost drove over a girl who suddenly walked on the road while waiting for me. Guess she thought my indicator was turned on but it was 1 light at the front which was broken. Since then i want it to be perfect all the time and forever so i wanted LED lights....i already found those on internet as well but don't like to wait so long.

Honda just gives bad lightbulbs it seems, and those Hondadealers don't even keep them in stock, a Forza is for sale in every dealer but they don't even have a lightbulb in stock, if you order it they promise tomorrow but last time i came there tomorrow they still didn't have it delivered....DELETED

Edited by seedy
Derogatory

37 minutes ago, Bung said:

Similar when I went to buy a new thermostat for my oven at a service Centre.  3800b was the quote.  DIY.  I looked it up online there and then and not one price over 1000b.  I thanked them and walked out...its in the mail as we speak. Someone wanted to pocket a good amount.  

Yes i also have loads of experiences like that, that's why i only buy good brands and Honda never let me down...Untill i came in Thailand that is. Also had the fuelpump broken within a year, that was warranty though and they also picked me up with the bike.

That dealer changed his number though without telling me, i mean who would do such thing to all his customers?

1 hour ago, Happy Grumpy said:

I foresee a lot of anger, pain and frustration... until you finally give up and leave Thailand. 

As for the bulb, source everything you need here by yourself, and deal with locals as little as possible. Your life will be easier and happier. 

I allready do that and can easy maintain my own bike, i've always done that.

Also i won't leave Thailand, except for visaruns and i like them. Do a lot of shopping abroad, see a lot and come back to stinky BKK where you can't trust anybody and your life is never safe.

But that hondadealer lost a customer and they won't forget it.

I try to deal with locals ( Chiang Mai ) whenever possible , keeping the money local , to be sure they understand exactly what i want , using my limited Thai , hand jestures and diagrams / sketches. Im not a fan of Honda but there is a 100% superb Honda / general bike accsesory / equipment / helmet shop attached to a Honda workshop on the right hand side of Kaew Nawarat road , heading 1 KM East from Nakorn Ping Bridge. I do my own car / bike work but this shop has done work for a friend in the past , to an excellent price and standard.  I bought the 35 / 35W version of your Philips bulb ( same box ) fronm the Honda  shop in January for 200 - 250 Baht. Doesnt help with your rip-off situation , but will point locals in the right dirrection.

2 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

I try to deal with locals ( Chiang Mai ) whenever possible , keeping the money local , to be sure they understand exactly what i want , using my limited Thai , hand jestures and diagrams / sketches. Im not a fan of Honda but there is a 100% superb Honda / general bike accsesory / equipment / helmet shop attached to a Honda workshop on the right hand side of Kaew Nawarat road , heading 1 KM East from Nakorn Ping Bridge. I do my own car / bike work but this shop has done work for a friend in the past , to an excellent price and standard.  I bought the 35 / 35W version of your Philips bulb ( same box ) fronm the Honda  shop in January for 200 - 250 Baht. Doesnt help with your rip-off situation , but will point locals in the right dirrection.

Yes the motocyshop around the corner had the same bulb in stock but i need 55-60 Watt so i didn't buy it. LED would be more durable i would think

55 / 60W is for the bigger bikes and cars. Mine was for an road legal 250cc off-road bike.  LED ( CREE type ) lamps are available in SOME places , just not the 35W versions - yet ?.  You were overcharged  at that shop - "dont sweat the small stuff" . Ive found Thais most helpfull 99% of the time ,  if i appreciate its my job to explaine things carefully.

5 hours ago, Thian said:

Yes a normal h4 lightbulb costs even less than the ED model...my lightbulb was fine when i measured it and even worked again but to be sure i went out to buy a new one...After 4 hours i came home pee'd off and 2800 baht lighter. And still without a lightbulb! 

I learned my lesson again but won't accept it. This might be why half Thailand drives around without proper lights on vehicles. I just want to have my bike from 3years old in perfect and safe condition. One of the lights at the front (under the headlight) was broken and i almost drove over a girl who suddenly walked on the road while waiting for me. Guess she thought my indicator was turned on but it was 1 light at the front which was broken. Since then i want it to be perfect all the time and forever so i wanted LED lights....i already found those on internet as well but don't like to wait so long.

Honda just gives bad lightbulbs it seems, and those Hondadealers don't even keep them in stock, a Forza is for sale in every dealer but they don't even have a lightbulb in stock, if you order it they promise tomorrow but last time i came there tomorrow they still didn't have it delivered....what a 3rd world service..

What did you pay 2800B for?

8 hours ago, macknife said:

What did you pay 2800B for?

700 baht at the somchai motoshop around the corner first for a crappy LED-headlight which wasn't even waterproof and didn't fit.

Then 2100 baht at the honda-dealer for the headlightbulb plus 2 other minilightbulbs who are in the frontcover and were replaced with lower wattage lights by that same dealer because they didn't have them in stock and i didn't want to order/wait for that.

Those 3 lights together would cost 4-500 baht online.

I went to get my ordered lights but they even didnt have them.

I told them honda thailand told me the headlight costs max 400 at every dealer and that i would send them the receipts if i didnt get 2060 baht right now. Without a word she gave me all paid money back. DELETED

Well i need another dealer again the 3rd one.. . 

Edited by seedy
NAME AND SHAME

Topic Edited - Forum Rule -

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.

Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

Post in like manner again and Receive a Posting Suspension

Just for the fun of it, I was at BigC supermarket and the automotive parts section had light-bulbs in all sort and sizes and not only from one manufacturer…

The number one reason why light-bulbs die is not because of quality, brand name or where they’re made. The reason is that people touch the glass of the light-bulb, or get the glass dirty in any other way… Even if I wash my hands and touch the glass of light-bulb and install it, I can tell that the person probably needs to replace the light-bulb in a few days again…

I have seen enough Thai motorcycle shops replace light-bulbs to say that I’m impressed that so much people ride around with working head-lights…

By the way the light-bulbs at BigC where around 150 THB… They also had a no-name, which had no price-tag and I was to lazy to look for a price scanner...

By the way, it’s not really strange that a Honda dealer has a light-bulb not on stock. I bet that most Honda dealers also not have tires on stock, sell petrol, or have a good selection of engine oil on stock.

All this things are what is called Motorcycle Consumables, and because most people prefer to buy them else where most motorcycle dealers do not have them on stock. Some motorcycle dealers sign up as a Motul or other aftermarket engine oil supplier. But I bet that not much dealers in Thailand have actually Honda engine oil on stock.

In Thailand I find the average Honda dealer very pleasant to work with, if I come in for an oil change and prefer to use oil I bought myself… they not complain, they check if the oil is according to the specs of the motorcycles and simply change it.

Edited by Richard-BKK

On 21-9-2016 at 11:41 PM, macknife said:

I suppose next time ask for the prices up front.

When i go to Honda for a lightbulb i first have to find the girl who speaks english (the boss), she needs 3 assistants to tell them i need a lightbulb...Then her brother comes down and with his assistants has to take a look at my bike, (i had the lightbulb in my hand already and the bike didn't even have the headlight mounted.).

Then 3 other guys behind a computer have to find the light in the computer, call me several times pointing at their screen to ask if it is this one! Yes it's that one i had to confirm, then they said it costs 3000 baht, they thought i need the whole unit...

So we go back again in the system, find the drawing, i tell them  i need that one (yes the lightbulb for headlight) and they finally understand it.....I ordered it (this took 30-45 minutes already) while i was squatting mosquito's of me legs and sweating because the aircon wasn't running. Then the boss made the bill and wrote the price of 1200 baht..I was shocked but just want to finish it so i ordered...Then i even ordered more lights because they were replaced (by them) with different lights of lower wattage..Took another 20 minutes but i wanted it all done so the bike is original again (and safe).

I can't describe how unprofessional they are...In Europe this all would have taken 5 minutes and i would be off with 3 new lights for a reasonable price.

33 minutes ago, Thian said:

When i go to Honda for a lightbulb i first have to find the girl who speaks english (the boss), she needs 3 assistants to tell them i need a lightbulb...Then her brother comes down and with his assistants has to take a look at my bike, (i had the lightbulb in my hand already and the bike didn't even have the headlight mounted.).

Then 3 other guys behind a computer have to find the light in the computer, call me several times pointing at their screen to ask if it is this one! Yes it's that one i had to confirm, then they said it costs 3000 baht, they thought i need the whole unit...

So we go back again in the system, find the drawing, i tell them  i need that one (yes the lightbulb for headlight) and they finally understand it.....I ordered it (this took 30-45 minutes already) while i was squatting mosquito's of me legs and sweating because the aircon wasn't running. Then the boss made the bill and wrote the price of 1200 baht..I was shocked but just want to finish it so i ordered...Then i even ordered more lights because they were replaced (by them) with different lights of lower wattage..Took another 20 minutes but i wanted it all done so the bike is original again (and safe).

I can't describe how unprofessional they are...In Europe this all would have taken 5 minutes and i would be off with 3 new lights for a reasonable price.

Advice: learn the Thai language, or take somebody who speaks Thai with you when dealing with a motorcycle dealer. Or just order your light-bulb from a dealer who speaks English... I believe one of the sponsors of this motorcycle forum is a Honda dealer who is a native speaking English...

Just now, Richard-BKK said:

Advice: learn the Thai language, or take somebody who speaks Thai with you when dealing with a motorcycle dealer. Or just order your light-bulb from a dealer who speaks English... I believe one of the sponsors of this motorcycle forum is a Honda dealer who is a native speaking English...

Mate i tried all that, had 2 dealers who speak english so far and both are no good...without them i can't order anything in there shops. But even the bigbike Hondadealer has personell who can't speak english.

And i don't want to learn Thai, they see me as a ATM-machine anyway or a free teacher for their kids.

That (Sumit?) dealer from the forum had his shop close to the Mall ngamwongwan right? I searched for him long time ago (when he still posted here) but the shop was gone. 

I think i need an old Honda bigbike now, they were real good quality and never had problems. I might send my own bike from Europe to Thailand soon...IT's far overpowered though and actually i don't want to have it here because i can't control my right-hand on it, too much fun to be the rocket between the snails.

Well i'm thinking about Yamaha's now....tired of Honda.

Been here 15 years. Thai mechanics fix all my bikes - even my HD. Easy to find one - no. But not all that hard either. Be patient, smile, be polite - all will be revealed. And I speak very little Thai - as it is a tonal language and past damage to my hearing makes it impossible to hear the differences. Attitude is everything. Forget Europe. Forget N. America. This is Thailand. Learn to live here. Chill.

1 hour ago, Thian said:

Mate i tried all that, had 2 dealers who speak english so far and both are no good...without them i can't order anything in there shops. But even the bigbike Hondadealer has personell who can't speak english.

And i don't want to learn Thai, they see me as a ATM-machine anyway or a free teacher for their kids.

That (Sumit?) dealer from the forum had his shop close to the Mall ngamwongwan right? I searched for him long time ago (when he still posted here) but the shop was gone. 

I think i need an old Honda bigbike now, they were real good quality and never had problems. I might send my own bike from Europe to Thailand soon...IT's far overpowered though and actually i don't want to have it here because i can't control my right-hand on it, too much fun to be the rocket between the snails.

Well i'm thinking about Yamaha's now....tired of Honda.

Sorry to spoil the idea of importing an “old” motorcycle into Thailand, as it’s not possible to import a used motorcycle….

For your other issues, in how according to you own saying Thai people see you, I would recommend that you re-evaluated if you want to be in Thailand

9 hours ago, Thian said:

Why was the headlight not mounted? No wonder they thought you needed the entire unit.

Even with no Thai it should be very easy to show the your bulb and say 'change, not good etc'

I cant' believe a Honda main dealer would put inferior light bulbs in, as they simply work from the parts catalogue.

You come across as being very arrogant, like you almost demand they speak English etc. Why should they have to?

Yes it is nice for us when they can but I certainly would not be ruling out an entire brand of motorcycle just because the salesman cant speak great English.

Like others have said, learning a little bit of Thai goes a long way, and it should be top of your list 'as things to do' if you are choosing to live here.

In 17 years here I have never had any problem getting anything done on my bike and for next to nothing prices.

Sumet is still there why don't you give Brian a call? He's a very helpful chap.

As for all Thais treating you as an ATM, for sure it happens but then perhaps you should get rid of those people out of your life and start meeting normal Thai people who on the whole are very nice people.

It seems your impatience is your own worst enemy.