Three Australian men rescued from Uluru after 11-hour operation

webfact

Three Australian men rescued from Uluru after 11-hour operation

1024px-Uluru_(Helicopter_view)-crop.jpg

Image: Wikipedia

ALICE SPRINGS: -- Three Australian men stranded on the landmark Uluru have been rescued after an 11-hour operation.

Rescue volunteers reached the men via helicopter and abseiled them to safety early on Tuesday. Police said there were no injuries.

The men ventured off the designated pathway on Monday and became stuck in a crevice on the rock formation in the Northern Territory.

Full story: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-37415400

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2016-09-20

they should not be up there any way as this rock is sacred to the native aboriginal people in australia. at least the aboriginal people now own the rock so they get 25$ fee for any one insensitive enough to climb it. i doubt the 25 dollars includes rescues including helicopters. guess the general public will have to foot the bill for that.

It must have been a very tough spot.  I'm over 60 and am a climber who's been in some tough places while exploring rock formations.  I bet I could have climbed out of wherever they were.  I've climbed on crumbly rock and during rains, and upon slick slime-covered rocks.  Geckos stop and stare when I climb by.

7 hours ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

they should not be up there any way as this rock is sacred to the native aboriginal people in australia. at least the aboriginal people now own the rock so they get 25$ fee for any one insensitive enough to climb it. i doubt the 25 dollars includes rescues including helicopters. guess the general public will have to foot the bill for that.

The more climbers the "merrier" some of the Custodians get but in this case maybe one of them decided to have a bit of fun and "pointed the bone" at these fellas?