Protests over latest fatal shootings by US police

webfact

Protests over latest fatal shootings by US police

606x341_344575.jpg

WASHINGTON: -- At least a dozen police officers and several demonstrators have been hurt in violent protests following the fatal shooting of a black man in North Carolina.

The unrest began late on Tuesday after Keith Lamont Scott was killed by a black officer after being mistaken for a wanted man.

Despite that, Police insist he posed an ‘imminent deadly threat’ and had a gun.

That version strongly differs from the 43-year-old’s family, who claim he was disabled and didn’t have a firearm.

Amid an intense debate in the US over the use of deadly force and racial bias among law enforcement officers, Scott’s shooting came only a day after police in Oklahoma also admitted killing an unarmed black man on Friday.

Terence Crutcher was shot in the city of Tulsa after his car broke down.

Video appears to show the 40-year-old walking to his vehicle with his hands in the air before he reaches into his vehicle and police open fire.

Earlier, his family appealed for calm.

“What we’re requesting is that there be peaceful protest and that you all respect the culture of our family because we operate and we flow in love and in peace,” Tiffany Crutcher, the victim’s sister said.

The US Justice Department has said he will conduct a separate investigation into the incident, while Democratic Presidential nominee Hillary Clinton described the contents of the video unbearable. Her rival Donald Trump has yet to issue a statement over the incident.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-22

1 dead in Charlotte protest; police say they didn't shoot

By JEFFREY COLLINS

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) — Authorities tried to quell public anger and correct what they characterized as false information Wednesday as Charlotte dealt with a second night of violent protests, adding itself to the list of U.S. cities that have erupted in violence over the death of a black man at the hands of police.

One man was shot and killed as protesters gathered near police in riot gear at an upscale downtown Charlotte hotel Wednesday night. The man was not shot by a police officer, the city of Charlotte said on Twitter.

A short time later, police began firing flash grenades at protesters who were throwing fireworks at them. They then fired tear gas at the hundreds of protesters, dispersing most of the crowd.

With officials refusing to release any video of the Tuesday shooting of 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott, anger built as two starkly different versions emerged: Police say Scott disregarded repeated demands to drop his gun, while neighborhood residents say he was holding a book, not a weapon, as he waited for his son to get off the school bus.

The killing inflamed racial tensions in a city that seemed to have steered clear of the troubles that engulfed other places.

Destructive protests Tuesday continued into Wednesday night when a group of protesters split from a peaceful prayer vigil and marched through downtown Charlotte. Six officers suffered minor injuries, paramedics said.

Police in riot gear then began marching arm in arm through downtown Charlotte intersections, shooting tear gas at people who charged them. At least one protester knocked down a reporter during a live shot.

___

Associated Press writers Tom Foreman Jr., Jonathan Drew, Martha Waggoner and Steve Reed contributed to this report.

ap_logo.jpg
-- © Associated Press 2016-09-22

29 minutes ago, dcutman said:

You need to seek mental help.

I think what he really meant was do as your instructed and you won't be shot, but ignore the warning and you could be shot depending on the police reading of the situation. Bottom line is do as you're told. Seems fair enough to me, but no doubt grossly unfair to the left, who hate to comply. Something to do with infringing their civil rights no doubt.

Edited by jesimps

Sooooo...let me get that straight: you guys gonna concentrate on some few idiots, who use a demonstration (a football game/ a protest march etc) to loot and riot instead of addressing the problem of police- officers, shooting yet another unarmed, innocent man -who happend to be black- and the very justified outrage over that?

Did you see the video?

There were 4 (FOUR!) police- officers and the guys was walking SLOWLY, his hands held HIGH!

You are telling me, there was NO OTHER WAY to resolve that situation, without putting a bullet into him?

This is insanity!

And you are despicable! 

56 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I think what he really meant was do as your instructed and you won't be shot, but ignore the warning and you could be shot depending on the police reading of the situation. Bottom line is do as you're told. Seems fair enough to me, but no doubt grossly unfair to the left, who hate to comply. Something to do with infringing their civil rights.

You are another one that thinks police are the judge, jury and executioner?

Sorry but the police are there to protect and serve the public. At least thats the way it used to be.

Assuming the police are telling the real story here.

If the man didnt immediately comply, would it not be better to just back off and let the situation cool down a bit? When you are talking about life and death of an innocent citizen having a bad day, possibly wait and call for professional negotiators.

Instead shoot the man dead like a rabid dog. Whats the big rush to kill?

Really?

21 minutes ago, jesimps said:

I think what he really meant was do as your instructed and you won't be shot, but ignore the warning and you could be shot depending on the police reading of the situation. Bottom line is do as you're told. Seems fair enough to me, but no doubt grossly unfair to the left, who hate to comply. Something to do with infringing their civil rights no doubt.

I think 'do as you're told or get shot' is unfair to any reasonable thinking human being.

Just a quick google search shows that he had a gun and didn't drop it. He was not a disabled man reading a book and then executed for being black. 

Jesus tap-dancing christ I have no Idea how this stuff gets so out of control. Cop shoots bad guy with gun, bad guys people riot and mess sh*t up because..... Why? 

What are we supposed to do? Change the <deleted> laws for people of a different skin color? 

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

1 hour ago, dcutman said:

You need to seek mental help.

Possibly, but if i was stopped rather than get Shot, i wouldn't act like a swaggering rapper prat, just be polite, get released,and drive off............. But wait, no good doing that, it wouldnt cause a Looting excuse, so Yes, i need Help.:stoner:

The problem with the American story is everyone has some right to angry about the past and present. People regardless of color are stubborn and unwilling to follow the police and even be polite with others and it goes both ways. It's a terrible state but it seems to be the new normal. Will the violence get worse and worse? And the protesting for change will only increase. It won't be over racism but eventually everything. I can see a rich verse poor scenario developing where either things change or violent protests will be used for that change. if we can't have it, they we won't let you have it either. Welcome to America!

56 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Possibly, but if i was stopped rather than get Shot, i wouldn't act like a swaggering rapper prat, just be polite, get released,and drive off............. But wait, no good doing that, it wouldnt cause a Looting excuse, so Yes, i need Help.:stoner:

How do you know what or how this guy was acting?  The police will not release the body cam video. So you just take what the police say is fact of the entire event. There are witnesses say the guy was just sitting there waiting for his kids to get out of school, minding his own business. The police were in that area serving a warrant, not at all related to this guy.

Regardless, did the police really need to shoot to kill  the instant of non compliance?

Could they have backed off and gave this guy a chance to cool down and comply?

Why I think that the US police system is just <deleted>...

Chinese police (officially) reported 36 people dead from fatal shootings in 2015 VS. US police (officially) reported 1018 people dead from fatal shootings in 2015.

In Sweden the cadet study for 2.5 years VS. US police academy is about 20 weeks.

2015 Canada had 22 fatal police shootings VS. California with 196 fatal police shootings.

2013 Finnish police fired 6 bullets VS. February 10, 2015 the police in Pasco, WA fired 17 bullets in ONE shooting, killing 1 UNARMED man.

Edited by metisdead
8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

42 minutes ago, Strange said:

Just a quick google search shows that he had a gun and didn't drop it. He was not a disabled man reading a book and then executed for being black. 

Jesus tap-dancing christ I have no Idea how this stuff gets so out of control. Cop shoots bad guy with gun, bad guys people riot and mess sh*t up because..... Why? 

What are we supposed to do? Change the <deleted> laws for people of a different skin color? 

I'll correct that for you. Just a quick google search shows that at the moment the official police stance is that he had a gun ... .

Could be this gets confirmed, but it could also easily be that this stance changes.

38 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

Ah yes, that is why he got himself killed, to cause a looting excuse.

Your post really makes no sense.

17 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

No Post that hints at Support of Authority makes sense here very much to readers.

I support police acting against rioters, and last night had nothing to do with the protests anymore.

But your opinions here, " an extrajudicial execution by police is acceptable in any case when people dont comply with police instructions? " go a lot further.

Edited by stevenl

4 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Black or White , what's with this Swagger Stuff.?.Some Dumb Insolence I guess .Do as Instructed and don't get Shot.Simple

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Unless the police roll up right next to you and shoot you immediately after they get out of their car (Cleveland). Or, the police actually have you restrained and shoot you because they can't tell the difference between their taser and their pistol (Oklahoma). Or, you are several feet away from an officer at night holding a pen (San Diego). Or, the police are incompetent and set themselves up in a situation where they catching each other in their own crossfire, so they think you are shooting at them (Cleveland). Or, a police officer chokes you to death by holding you to the ground while trying to make an arrest (New York). Or, a police officer doesn't properly buckle you in the back of their vehicle before driving you to the station (Baltimore). Or, its not even a cop, but instead a neighborhood watch vigilante who decides to stalk you after being told not to by the police (Florida).

Edited by vaultdweller0013
Checked and fixed a couple locations.